Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I read only (1) SSR was released to top performing dealerships in 2003.

Only one first-model-year (2003) SSR were given to any particular dealer, and only dealers who sold at least 500 retail Chevrolet cars and trucks in calendar year 2001 (a figure which may be modified based on actual production) received a single 2003 model year SSR.*

I would like to research this in more detail, if available.

Thanks,

Rust

*Source: prowlerheaven.com

·
Slingshot Rules!
72,659 Posts
Not certain of the particulars for the "2003 allocation process" you are referring to, however, I do remember way back to 2004 when I first began my search for The Doophus.

After learning about this limited availability allocation policy at the many dealers I visited, I contacted General Motors directly and the policy of one SSR per "X" number (don't remember the actual number if even revealed) of Chevrolets sold was verified. That policy definitely explained the $5k - $10k plus Additional Dealer Mark-Up per SSR that plagued sales throughout 2005 and into 2006.

From my research . . . this type of allocation policy is fairly common in many industries, not just the Vehicle Manufacturing.

Could this possibly the be the policy you uncovered, Rust?

·
Registered
303 Posts
If the dealership sold 500 Chevrolet's,
They received one truck.
If the dealership sold 850 Chevrolet's,
They received two trucks.
If the dealership sold 1,250 Chevrolet's,
They received three trucks.

I know the first and last of these are correct,
I am uncertain on the second number,
But the number is relatively accurate.

This sales policy had the side effect of making SSRs more widely advertised in larger cities, and not at all in the smaller or more rural areas.
They were advertising to the greater likelihood of those wanting to buy a Chevrolet,
Not to the greater likelihood of those who were more drawn to what the SSR was intended to be.

In theory, those more interested in the truck would live where life could be enjoyed, not where the hustle bustle of the city would be.

Drawing from this idea, this sales concept could also have been a factor in the SSR's downfall.

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
Dealerships

DOOPUS and I bought SSR 'S from the same dealer in ATHENS ILLINOIS It was a great small town dealer to work with.ended buying my second one the same dealer , ALL THE SSR WERE FROM GM CAR SHOW . TO Bad GM CLOSED IT DOWN WHEN IT WENT BELLY UP

·
Premium Member
9,321 Posts
Dealerships that jacked up the price on the initial allocations probably burned themselves long term on customer goodwill..

The first SSR I saw was in Knoxville, TN in December 03. I was in the Knoxville area for a boat dealer meeting and phoned the local dealers to see who had one in the showroom. One of the factory employees drove me to the dealership to check it out. The salesman was quite proud of the fact they were asking "10000 over sticker". By March 04, inventory had built up, and SSRs were being discounted.

I had the first order at our local dealership, but by the time he received an allocation, GM was already into the 2004 model year. Our local dealer has never marked up a vehicle beyond MSRP, even for the rarest models of Camaros and Corvettes.

Unfortunately, GM Canada had set the base price at a very high exchange rate (1.65), and was unable or unwilling to adjust pricing as the exchange rate with the US$ dropped to 1.30 by the time the SSR reached the marketplace. Canadian retail was set at close to $20000 over the US price including current exchange. Canadian retail was in the $78 - 80000 range, but as exchange rate dropped, price should have been under $60K

I reluctantly cancelled the order, and started looking for a slightly used 03 in the US. Requirement to import a used GM vehicle was 6 months or 12000 km (7500 miles), I found #567 in Greensboro NC, and made arrangements to pick it up the first week of May, when I could legitimately claim the 6 month purchase date. By the time I drove it cross country back to British Columbia, I had reached the mileage threshold.

The original purchaser of #567 had a deposit in place for a year at an agreed MSRP selling price, but when the truck arrived, the dealership decided he needed to pay an extra $5000 "market adjustment" to get the truck because they had several potential buyers. The purchaser reluctantly agreed to the price, but after the deal was complete, cancelled a purchase for two Duramax Silverados. Short term gain, long term pain.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts