Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've read all of the horror stories about gaining access to the top two nuts for the passenger side air bag. To be honest, I don't know what all the hoopla is about. After removing my dash like everyone else has done by prying the dash out over the air bag ends, I decided to remove the air bag to make re-installation easier. I was able to reach behind the air bag and could feel the studs and nuts. Using a 10 mm deep socket and a swivel head ratchet I was able to remove both nuts in about 10 minutes tops. Would have been easier had the factory not used thread lock because they had to be removed all the way with the socket.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
9,656 Posts
No the nuts will not be put back on. Once the dash is back in place there isn't access to the studs. The two bottom bolts will hold the air bag in place just fine.
I took the two nuts off back in 2006, when I removed the air bag before taking the dash off.... I was installing XM radio at the time.

I think that I tossed the nuts into the junk box on the workbench......

You’re absolutely correct, the two bolts that come up from the bottom will hold that thing in the dash just fine.

Regards,

Mike

·
Las Vegas Mob
1,345 Posts
Yup, removing the nuts with the dash in place is more challenging, and I also do not install the upper / outside nut.

Blast

1 - 6 of 6 Posts