Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at a car show yesterday and I was showing the SSR with the top a little over half way up. I left it like that for about a half hour and when I went to put it down, nothing happened. I had the key on, my foot on the brake and I couldn't get the top to go the rest of the way up or go back down. I finally reached up and manually pushed the top down, let it set for a minute and then pushed the button and everthing worked fine. WHAT A RELIEF!!!!!!! I don't think I will show the car that way anymore.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I had the same thing happen a couple months ago - I had the top partway open to try to see where the passenger side trim piece was rubbing on the top (see the thread on black marks appearing on your roof) and when I went to return the top to the closed position, it did nothing. The DIC said something to the effect of "manually retract top." I was able to fully retract the top into the roof bay just by pushing it down gently by hand. I was then able to put the top in the closed position automatically.

It takes quite a few sensors to open and close the top, and I imagine when the computer (ignition) is shut off with the top in the partway open position, the computer can't tell which position the top is in when it's powered up again. Placing the top in the fully down position gives the computer a reference point so it knows which step in the deploy/retract cycle to perform next. Just a guess.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
This sounds like what happened to me too, but I also could not get the key out. And when we tracked down the key ignition fuse it kept shorting out. I never did get the top working automatically again. It's being looked at today by the dealer.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
jwthomp said:
I had the same thing happen a couple months ago - I had the top partway open to try to see where the passenger side trim piece was rubbing on the top (see the thread on black marks appearing on your roof) and when I went to return the top to the closed position, it did nothing. The DIC said something to the effect of "manually retract top." I was able to fully retract the top into the roof bay just by pushing it down gently by hand. I was then able to put the top in the closed position automatically.

It takes quite a few sensors to open and close the top, and I imagine when the computer (ignition) is shut off with the top in the partway open position, the computer can't tell which position the top is in when it's powered up again. Placing the top in the fully down position gives the computer a reference point so it knows which step in the deploy/retract cycle to perform next. Just a guess.
Sounds like a good guess, thanks for the heads up......:thumbs
Hey, LLOGER keep on showing that SSR....Just like last Thursday..with the Top Down.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts