Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2005 SSR Black on Black
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2005 SSR after being in the garage all winter will only make a simple click when I try to lower the top. I have read most of the technical discussions on this site. Working on the top seems to be more than I am capable of at age 74. I live in Lexington KY, is there any shops within driving distance that are familiar with the SSR top problems?

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
@Willis did the battery run down while it was in storage? When I was talking to Mike a while back he was mentioning that he has seen some tops not work after battery discharge or being jumped. Maybe get in touch with him and see if he can help. He may need more information as to what exactly is going on or doing or where it stops functioning.

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,316 Posts
When R sits, oil drains out of cylinders, may take 5/6 times of pushing the button for top to go up. Need to refill cylinders and purge system.

After you operate roof, up or down, within 30 seconds pressure is released and oil begins to drain out of cylinders back to tank. Don't use roof for a few weeks or a month, it will have to push button a few times to get oil back in cylinders.

NORMAL!!

Dicktator

·
Registered
2005 SSR Black on Black
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Willis did the battery run down while it was in storage? When I was talking to Mike a while back he was mentioning that he has seen some tops not work after battery discharge or being jumped. Maybe get in touch with him and see if he can help. He may need more information as to what exactly is going on or doing or where it stops functioning.
No I got a new battery last year and kept a float charger on it during the winter.

·
The Susan Lucci of ROTM
2004, lowered, custom paint
2,072 Posts
That would be awesome! I am located within a mile of I-75 at the Man O War exit. I am available anytime that day.
Ok, we will coordinate with you as I don't know the exact time we're leaving Cincinnati. I'll send you my phone number in a conversation.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
I had the same problem with my roof after the car sat for the winter. I lightly lifted the top stowage compartment lid while my wife started the top cycle. Once the compartment lid was opened, the cycle finished and has worked fine since.

·
The Susan Lucci of ROTM
2004, lowered, custom paint
2,072 Posts
When R sits, oil drains out of cylinders, may take 5/6 times of pushing the button for top to go up. Need to refill cylinders and purge system.

After you operate roof, up or down, within 30 seconds pressure is released and oil begins to drain out of cylinders back to tank. Don't use roof for a few weeks or a month, it will have to push button a few times to get oil back in cylinders.

NORMAL!!

Dicktator
Dicktator, will the pump try to cycle or do nothing at all?

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,316 Posts
Dicktator, will the pump try to cycle or do nothing at all?
Yes, pump should run, pump has thermistor on electric pump motor to protect from overheat!

DON'T try to open roof 5 or 6 times without letting cool.

Like TBarker said. One person on each side, lift roof cover while someone pushes roof button will speed the purging of roof system.

Information on SSR How to Library: May Help. Look up ROOF MIS OPERATION and ROOF OPERATION PLUS

Dicktator

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
8,508 Posts
I would first go for the tonneau latch microswitches......
Yes Mike @Mike in AZ also helped me out. Mike after talking to me about what was going on he told me to try and check my microswitches for they might be sticking. Since my SSR sits a lot of the time and over the winter in my garage the micro switches will have a tendency to stick because the lack of use. First, I took the driver's side small panel out and took it apart and then sprayed the switch with a can of CRC 2-26 Multi-Purpose Precision Lubricant. I then put the switch back in and reassembled it back together and reinstalled it. For just the heck of it decided to try and lower the roof again and to my surprise it started working properly again. So I only had to do the one switch. :)
CRC 2-26 Multi.jpg IMG_2478A.jpg

·
Registered
2005 SSR Black on Black
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
@Willis , I'll need some contact info from you. I'll be there 11-12a Friday if I know where to go. (y)
My 2005 SSR after being in the garage all winter will only make a simple click when I try to lower the top. I have read most of the technical discussions on this site. Working on the top seems to be more than I am capable of at age 74. I live in Lexington KY, is there any shops within driving distance that are familiar with the SSR top problems?
@Willis , did you receive my "conversation"? I'll be coming through Lexington 11-12am and need your info to coordinate.
Many thanks to Firetruck, SSReplay, MicDonna and their wives for stopping in Lexington today and diagnosing the problem with my top. What a resource this forum is for all of us SSR owners

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
3,971 Posts
Many thanks to Firetruck, SSReplay, MicDonna and their wives for stopping in Lexington today and diagnosing the problem with my top. What a resource this forum is for all of us SSR owners
Aren't these people GREAT !!! So, is it working, or are they thinking of other solutions? just curious.

Nick

1 - 20 of 30 Posts