Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone advise the oil capacity for the Torsen differential cover. I have 3 qts installed, with no sign of oil near top. Thanks. racesport

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Hello racesport

In the technical information for the 2004er is written

Rear Axels Metric: 2.03 Liters

English 2.4 Quarts

is your differential cover original?

I wish a happy new 2018 ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have a great 2018. I drained out about 2.03 litters. I then install new Torsen aluminum cover. I then put 3 liters of diff oil in the fill hole. The level is not near the top. I can not feel any oil with my finger in the fill hole. I put a popcycle stick in & there is no oil shown on it? How much more oil should I purchase & install?

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,224 Posts
Just a thought-----is your SSR sitting on the ground? If it is jacked up the oil is running away from the fill hole and you are not getting a true reading.

Nick

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nick: The SSR is on the ground sitting flat on the garage floor. The new cover (Torsen) requires about 1/2 liter more than stock, however, shouldn't I be able to feel the level through the fill hole? Perplexed? Some one should know. It would be reasonable to think. There are folks who have had previous experience here, right? Thanks, Racesport.

·
Premium Member
2,104 Posts
Nick: The SSR is on the ground sitting flat on the garage floor. The new cover (Torsen) requires about 1/2 liter more than stock, however, shouldn't I be able to feel the level through the fill hole? Perplexed? Some one should know. It would be reasonable to think. There are folks who have had previous experience here, right? Thanks, Racesport.
Being that the vehicle is level, you should keep filling till it starts oozing out of the fill hole or close enough that you can feel the level with your finger in the hole.

Worked on new Chevys many years ago, We prepped them for delivery to customers. On our check list was ensuring an adequate fill of the rear end. You unscrewed the fill cap and most often, it started oozing out when you removed the cap. If not, and you could easily feel that the level was close............You were good to go.:wink2:

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
rear end oil

Being that the vehicle is level, you should keep filling till it starts oozing out of the fill hole or close enough that you can feel the level with your finger in the hole.

Worked on new Chevys many years ago, We prepped them for delivery to customers. On our check list was ensuring an adequate fill of the rear end. You unscrewed the fill cap and most often, it started oozing out when you removed the cap. If not, and you could easily feel that the level was close............You were good to go.:wink2:
Actually when built on the assembly line the frame came past the [rear fill] up-side down on the build's we made. Fill until it ran out. The the inspector checked and put the fill plug back in.

Bird

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
diff

Are you using the original fill port as the indicator. On the aluminum covers there is usually a fill port, but this is not the one I use as the fill indicator port. I always used the original port as to not overfill the differential.

·
Premium Member
2,104 Posts
Are you using the original fill port as the indicator. On the aluminum covers there is usually a fill port, but this is not the one I use as the fill indicator port. I always used the original port as to not overfill the differential.
:|
I think you just may be (over thinking) this whole deal. Many of these after market diff. covers are made slightly larger (volume/capacity) wise and thus if they come with a fill port, they are gonna place that hole where it takes into account the extra capacity and thus fills it..............end result being it gets back up to where it should be.]

While you're coming up short with your method:frown2:

Note the coments here regarding (additional 1/2 quart capacity)

https://www.yourcovers.com/diffcover_10303-2.php

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,006 Posts
If you are installing a PML differential cover (whether you bought it from me or from PML), I recommend that you use the filler port on the top of the diff cover to insert your fluid. It is a lot easier to fill that way. When filling, you should have the OEM plug on the side of the nose case pulled, so that you don't overfill it........ when it starts to come out of the OEM port, just quit filling and put the plug in.

Regards,

Mike

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Mike: I put 3 Liters of Motul 75w90 in the fill hole in the top of the raised or (protruded out section) of the diff cover. There is no other hole other than the drain hole at the bottom. No hole at either side. I could not feel any oil or see any oil on my little finger. So, I put a popsicle stick into the hole as far as I could while pinching the end in my hand. I removed the stick, no oil shown to a depth of 3+ inches. So, not to see oil on the stick, and approximating the volume, It seems it would take at least two more liters? Maybe more? I am indeed perplexed & feel filling the cover till oil spills out my be overfill. Someone designed the cover & knows the exact fill capacity to get the right lubrication on & to the ring & pinion gears. I do not. I just don't want to smoke this guy inadvertently or needlessly. Thank You for all your help. I will continue to rely on your advice. Racesport

·
BAD BOW TIE
10,898 Posts
What Mike was saying there should be a fill plug on the side of the gear housing that was there from the factory. You take it out with a 3/8 drive extension. You fill into your new plug hole until it runs out the side plug hole. Then put both plugs back in.

Sample Click here:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Blessings: Auggie Doggie; I will crawl under & find the fill level hole in the axel housing at first light. Thank you very much. Who knew? Simple (double entendre). Knowledge is priceless. Racesport

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,006 Posts
Blessings: Auggie Doggie; I will crawl under & find the fill level hole in the axel housing at first light. Thank you very much. Who knew? Simple (double entendre). Knowledge is priceless. Racesport
As I remember, the OEM fill level port is on the passenger side of the differential nose case, just above the main rib that goes fore and aft.....

Mike

1 - 16 of 16 Posts