1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Yes, I have an ATTITUDE !
1,678 Posts
It's actually more then that. something's been telling me 24180. HHMMMMMMM

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,068 Posts
The number I had in mind was 24,137 for "sell-able" SSRs. This includes the regular production and the Signature Series, but not the concept prototype or the pre-production units. If you included them, it would probably be around Devastator's 24.180.....

Mike

·
Banned
2,141 Posts
kwhopper89 said:
Well Its 4 GM Model years but in all reality the 4 model years spanned LESS than 3 real years or only 30 months to be exact. That might even be a record for the shortest GM platform life span.

·
Registered
357 Posts
This brings up a curious idea to me. If concept and pre-production were not sold where are they? They kept the last 06 built for the museum and the concept or pre-production are not there already? 25 signiture series, how many pre-production? I'm quessing pre-production would be ASC built SSR.

·
Yes, I have an ATTITUDE !
1,678 Posts
something's up with the 06's that went to CAN.
will find out eventually.

·
Registered
192 Posts
30 Months production?

I wonder how many Months out of the 30 that production really happened? I had thought that production would stop and start based on demand within those 30 months, so I wonder how many weeks that production really happened in the 30 Month span? Anyone have any idea?

Doug

·
Registered
357 Posts
If there is 1 show car and 1 production intent car(as Bob W.calls it) and 30 pre-production(non-titled) vehicles this would mean 24144 total SSR's built. The 25 signature series would be counted in the 24112.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,068 Posts
jim_king said:
This brings up a curious idea to me. If concept and pre-production were not sold where are they? They kept the last 06 built for the museum and the concept or pre-production are not there already? 25 signiture series, how many pre-production? I'm quessing pre-production would be ASC built SSR.
The original prototype did not have a production serial number and was never intended to be sold.
There were "production intent" vehicles that appeared in marketing stuff, but did not have production serial numbers. They were ASC produced units as well. There were also the units built for engineering evaluation and test, these most likely were destroyed at some point, either as part of a test, or after theyir usefulness was done.

I think freezer could help with some more detail here..... I think the number was about 30.

Later,

Mike

·
SSR Owners Group
3,753 Posts
Ricochet said:
Well Its 4 GM Model years but in all reality the 4 model years spanned LESS than 3 real years or only 30 months to be exact. That might even be a record for the shortest GM platform life span.
The first 5 Signature Series were built in Dec of 2002. A Few were built during Jan to June Of 2003 - July saw a few more, and August thru Dec 2003 produced the rest of the 2003 build out - 3,416 SSR's. Late December 2003 saw a few 2004's roll off. 13 months

Production of the rest of the 2004's 10,676 happened during 2004. 12 months

Some of the 2005's (total of 7,279) were built built in late 2004 - with the rest in 2005. 12 months

2006 production started in late 2005 - with what appears to be 2,741 total SSR's for the model year - the lowest production year. 2.5 months

39.5 months of production...

As pushrod pointed out - there were a few months that the LCC was down - and produced zero SSR's - I'll have to dig thru the spreadsheets that are at the GM investor website to see just how many zero months there were...

There also was a fanatic (realprowlerfan) that posted in late 2003 - he referred to a few that were destined for the "crusher" - that didn't seem to get VIN's????
http://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=234&highlight=crusher A LCC employee (Morty) also had early posts of production pics and info... http://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/search.php?searchid=248526

·
Premium Member
2006 Aqua Blur 22578
1,436 Posts
Destroyed at LCC

At the LCC tour I was told that every x number (don't remember how many), one is pulled aside and torn apart to check weld integrity. I didn't ask at the time if these had already been assigned VIN numbers. Would be interesting to know.

·
Registered
442 Posts
weld testing

Those destructive tests usually occur in the body shop prior to paint, chassis, trim and final and the bodies have a temporary code number but not a VIN. Gov't requires weld safety verifications by all mfrs. Competition also forces this to occur. Besides, if something has gone wrong, it is in the interest of the plant to know that before a lot of those mistakes get made.

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
549 Posts
All of the test vehicles did not have a regular VIN and were not sold. The first of these were not built on the Craft Centre production line. Some of the preproduction units built at the Craft Centre were determined to be non-saleable and were disposed of. The 25 Signature Series had their own VIN sequence and were not counted in the 24112 regular production number. I have some documentation of the original build vehicles and I will have to dig that out when I have some free time.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Good job, well done Freezer!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts