Chevy SSR Forum banner

Totally lost my prior post on Battery Tender and Quick Disconnect

2K views 32 replies 11 participants last post by  moscooter 
#1 ·
:mad::mad::mad:

Yeah.............for sure know how to do forum search here.........but perusing thru both the General and the Technical forum entries............damned if I could find my own..........(pretty recent) posting.

It turns out I find pages upon pages of (Battery Tender) postings.

What ever the case, I'm closing in on a possible (quick disconnect).........by the way, I found others already here from the past.

I'll submit a complete posting when I conclude my current project............but meantime. I'm submitting a picture that most any of you that are six foot tall or more and work on your own ride...........can relate.

Why do ya think the blue sponge piece is taped to the hood.

:cry:

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·

Yeah.............for sure know how to do forum search here.........but perusing thru both the General and the Technical forum entries............damned if I could find my own..........(pretty recent) posting.

What ever the case, I'm closing in on a possible (quick disconnect).........by the way, I found others already here from the past.

I'll submit a complete posting when I conclude my current project............but meantime. I'm submitting a picture that most any of you that are six foot tall or more and work on your own ride...........can relate.

Click on your "smoking monkey" select "discussions created".
... or click on search, then select Advanced Search and enter some relevant term, your name and sort by date
Text Font Screenshot Technology Electronic device

... and it’s right there. The Advanced Search actually works pretty well if you give it a chance.

P.S. I’m well under six foot and the corners of the hood still reach out and tap me now and again.

#7 ·

Your “Blue Sponge“ as simple as it is, it is actually a major headache safety device, again another example of a Fanatic helping another, thank you Moscooter.

#8 ·
Is this the one you were looking for?

#9 ·
(y)

Yes, that is the one I was after. Hopefully, later today I will have completed the install of my new "quick disconnect" device. I had to scrub the previous target location described earlier. The magnetic connector is overall a little larger than I had anticipated. Just wasn't enough room to place it under edge of hood slot.

I finally opted for making a brkt. and installing it dead center under the front end. There are two holes in the lip under side of front facia. those will serve to hold the brkt in place. Hope to take some pics later today to show where it is.

#10 · (Edited)
:rolleyes:

OK, I'm now good to go with this project. Always mind boggling to me as to how many different tools I have out at the end of a project.

The source I used for the magnetic disconnect is this one.

It's a pricey deal at $119 shipped. Parts are quality made in Germany.

Here is how it all came together......

The "Engine Info plate" is an easy off deal with two push pins and two small nuts. Removing it (over the hood latch) allows a better view and access to see what you are doing.
Next pic is all the parts they send plus my home made bracket. There are already two holes in lower lip of center front section. Used these to hold the bracket. Other pics just show the bracket up close and with the B.T. adaptor on it. Last pic is how it looks all set and charging. I anchored the B. T. charge cord to an eyelet on the front garage wall. I added a "stop" point on the charge cord so when I'm backing out of the garage, it will simply pop right off.
Plugging it in is a simple one handed reach under mid front and it slides in under a spring loaded cap and the magnets within hold it in place.;)

Attachments

#11 ·
:cautious:

"I anchored the B. T. charge cord to an eyelet on the front garage wall. I added a "stop" point on the charge cord so when I'm backing out of the garage, it will simply pop right off. "

The above comments didn't work out as anticipated...........My lowered truck required me to put the front end up on ramps to handle the install of my magnetic disconnect bracket as described. So a day or so ago when I finished and backed down off the ramps, the disconnect worked as it should.

However, once back down on the ground.............Ooops, not the same results. Yesterday, wife and I drove over to Calabash for (early voting).....an hour plus affair.:(
Once back at home after pulling into the garage, I went to the front end to pull the B.T. cord out from under front end of truck so I could re-couple it. All I retrieved was the end of the B.T. cord itself. That end mates to a similar connector on the short length of the magnetic connection. So instead of the whole thing popping off the mounting, the two parts separated.............THANKFULLY, when I reached up underneath to the bracket, the female half of the mag. connection was still there with the short end that plugs back into the B.T. cord dangling down.
What I discovered is that the angle of "pull" on the power cord causes the female connector part to "catch" on the lower lip of the front facia.
Merely lowering the eyelet on front garage wall would (not) solve the issue. Still would catch the lip.

Now I'm looking at trying a short 30" length of 2X4 with about 3 eyelets along it so that the "pull" as I backed out would be downward..............Hoping this solves the deal.

Just wanted to alert anyone that just might try to follow the way I did it and might encounter the same problem.

Alternative is I re engineer the damn bracket to allow another 1/2" of clearance in the same spot.

#12 ·
:cautious:

"I anchored the B. T. charge cord to an eyelet on the front garage wall. I added a "stop" point on the charge cord so when I'm backing out of the garage, it will simply pop right off. "

The above comments didn't work out as anticipated...........My lowered truck required me to put the front end up on ramps to handle the install of my magnetic disconnect bracket as described. So a day or so ago when I finished and backed down off the ramps, the disconnect worked as it should.

However, once back down on the ground.............Ooops, not the same results. Yesterday, wife and I drove over to Calabash for (early voting).....an hour plus affair.:(
Once back at home after pulling into the garage, I went to the front end to pull the B.T. cord out from under front end of truck so I could re-couple it. All I retrieved was the end of the B.T. cord itself. That end mates to a similar connector on the short length of the magnetic connection. So instead of the whole thing popping off the mounting, the two parts separated.............THANKFULLY, when I reached up underneath to the bracket, the female half of the mag. connection was still there with the short end that plugs back into the B.T. cord dangling down.
What I discovered is that the angle of "pull" on the power cord causes the female connector part to "catch" on the lower lip of the front facia.
Merely lowering the eyelet on front garage wall would (not) solve the issue. Still would catch the lip.

Now I'm looking at trying a short 30" length of 2X4 with about 3 eyelets along it so that the "pull" as I backed out would be downward..............Hoping this solves the deal.

Just wanted to alert anyone that just might try to follow the way I did it and might encounter the same problem.

Alternative is I re engineer the damn bracket to allow another 1/2" of clearance in the same spot.
(y)

OK, back up on the ramps again. Determined that if I flipped my bracket upside down, it would provide a lower and totally smooth exit for the disconnect to work without any "snagging" as it disconnects. It still remains hidden from view as before and is easy to connect.

I'm good to go with it now.:)

#20 ·
(y)
Looks like that works well for you. If I describe the whole deal as a (task), I can break it down into steps. #1. Pop the hood release as you get out of the truck in the garage. #2. Pull the hood safety release and raise the hood. #3. Hook up your B.T. (Next day or next time out). #4. Unhook the B.T. #5 Close the hood #6. Get in and back out of garage.
I don't need to do steps.........#1,#2,#4,#5. We both get in and back out of garage........

In my case, step #3 is a quick and one handed deal to connect. and the best part is step #4 becomes automatically a part of step #6:):):);)

#27 ·
You must have better success maintaining a decent charge in yours than I have with mine. I have a '05 Chevy Avalanche and believe I could not start it for 8-10 days and then decide to use it and get in and it would fire right up. That won't work with my SSR. It has a Optima top of the line battery that the previous owner has just installed. I figure now it's about 4 years old.

Here is a "key" factor in my mind as to why one of my '05 Chevys would still start and the other would not.

There is NO sensor on my Avalanche that automatically kicks on the fan for a few minutes right after I shut it down when arriving home. On my SSR, It has the SE Fan set up on it. Does a great job of keeping the engine temp where it should be. Never any overheating problems ever.
However, I do think that sensor kicking the fan on after the engine has shut down........sometimes it does it twice. That starts the downward drain on the battery and thus creates the need to keep a B.T. on it if you're not gonna crank it up at least within 4-5 days.

So my newly installed "connector" deal has made the task for me as easy as it could be. :unsure:

#32 ·
I replaced my first battery after 9 years in 20013 and it still appeared to be operating great, with a GM Delco battery. Luckily, I never had to use a battery tender all these years during the spring, summer and fall months, except for winter storage. I have gone weeks without starting my SSR up and so far never had any problems with the battery running down when trying to start up my SSR. 🤞

#33 ·
(y)
I can relate to the extra years of battery life.........at least in my '05 Avalanche. I think I have only had to replace it once..........so this comment doesn't quite work......"3 years is about what any after market battery Friend from Interestate told me Higher priced batteries don,t mean they will last longer"

But I will say that going beyond 6 or 7 years with a (daily driver) can be "iffy". Never used a B.T. on my Avalanche and did use it at least once or twice every week. But that did bite me in the azz a few years back. Went to pick up my wife at the airport and stopped in one of those "cell phone" parking lots. There you can wait for the call and then pull around to pick up your rider.

Call came.............truck would not start.:oops:

Long story short, I had a big time hassle getting a jump start and getting back home.

So, likely it is time for me to consider another new battery for the Avalanche so as not to have another bad situation.

By the way............as a long time Harley owner, I found out (even with periodic use) of a B.T., do not try to beat 5 years...............without a new battery...........it could strand you where you don't want to be.:eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.