Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking a two touch-up paint companies Dr. Color Chip and Langka. I used Langka about 4 years ago and was pleased. I don't know if anyone has other companies they have used and had good luck with. Thoughts?

·
BAD BOW TIE
10,937 Posts
I use nothing but DR Color Chip. Works perfect on the Yellow. I have tried others and they always leave a big blob. With DR you dab it on, let it dry a few seconds and rub it off with this special solution they provide. You keep doing that until the chip is filled but there is no paint outside the chip area and it is very flat and level. Polish it and within a couple hours you can't even remember where it was. I have had some deep chips up front and on the mirrors and can't even find them now. Like I said I only know how it works on Yellow. Might be different on the other colors. I am sold on it.
Click here:

·
Premium Member
2006 Pacific Blue 6 speed Custom
3,356 Posts
Great review Auggie! I'll have to keep that in mind and see how it matches Pac Blue. With it being metallic might be more difficult to match... Only one way to find out. Not doing it anytime soon though...

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,356 Posts
Looked at Amazon at 3 pages of colors and got this response

"We cannot find any "doctor colorchip" for your 2006 Chevrolet SSR.
Try checking your spelling, using more general terms, or:
Clear vehicle filter ❯ "

Reactions: Marc NY and Garris1

·
BAD BOW TIE
10,937 Posts
Looked at Amazon at 3 pages of colors and got this response

"We cannot find any "doctor colorchip" for your 2006 Chevrolet SSR.
Try checking your spelling, using more general terms, or:
Clear vehicle filter ❯ "
They go by your paint numbers not name.
Aqua Blur......................26U...........................WA-214M
Smokin Asphalt..............41U...........................WA-8555
Ricochet Silver...............67U............................WA-994L
Redline Red....................70U............................WA-9075
Slingshot Yellow.............79U............................WA-423G
Pacific Blue....................90U...........................WA-885K
Ultra Violet....................21U...........................WA-245E

I order from them direct.

·
SSR Believer
1,592 Posts
I’ll add my vote for Dr. ColorChip. (y)

I‘ve used all sorts of touch up paint over the decades, some terrible, some pretty good.

The Paint in the kit from Dr. ColorChip matched our Aqua Blur perfectly. Following the directions resulted in almost imperceivable repairs of some quite noticeable scratches and dinged paint on the front end. It’s not a quick process. It takes time and patience. A few required more than two or three applications to fill them in to meet the original paint level. Well worth it though.

I was a pretty big skeptic, especially based on the price, but it was recommended by other Fanatics at the time. I was really amazed at the results.

After a complete clay bar, paint cut and polish detail, the repairs are still intact.

EDIT: Dr. ColorChip is offering a 15% discount as of this post date. Enter the code WINTER at checkout.

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
I use Dr Color Chip on my black SSR as well as our previous yellow SSR and the match is perfect. Also used on my Camaro and very pleased. Ordered direct should have coupon code for free freight. Well worth the price.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
This is terrific! I have been looking for a paint chip application that works and does not leave that
dreaded blob that always looks as though you just tried to cover a paint chip - one question I could not find the answer for, perhaps one of
you can provide the answer - I did not see any mention of clear coat finish, guess it is not necessary with this product? Just wax over the
chip once it has had the opportunity to cure?

·
SSR Believer
1,592 Posts
This is terrific! I have been looking for a paint chip application that works and does not leave that
dreaded blob that always looks as though you just tried to cover a paint chip - one question I could not find the answer for, perhaps one of
you can provide the answer - I did not see any mention of clear coat finish, guess it is not necessary with this product? Just wax over the
chip once it has had the opportunity to cure?
You'd have to watch the videos or read the materials, but IIRC somewhere along the line they address clear coat in the paint and/or sealer description. Something to the effect that there's no need for another layer if you follow the directions to bring the repair area to the same level as the existing paint.

As @PokerGuy said, just a good coat of wax will take care of it. That's what I did and it's honestly hard to find any of the repairs on our R unless you really know where to look and even then sometimes I'm not sure.

One helpful tool is a very bright light to both find imperfections and to review your repair. Scratches (unless they're to bare metal) are visible because they refract light differently than the surrounding surface. As your repairs even out the surface they disappear. I bought this NEBO 400 Lumen LED light a while back and it works perfectly for finding imperfections (also great for under the hood work, etc.)

Best of luck and let us know how it goes!

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
I use nothing but DR Color Chip. Works perfect on the Yellow. I have tried others and they always leave a big blob. With DR you dab it on, let it dry a few seconds and rub it off with this special solution they provide. You keep doing that until the chip is filled but there is no paint outside the chip area and it is very flat and level. Polish it and within a couple hours you can't even remember where it was. I have had some deep chips up front and on the mirrors and can't even find them now. Like I said I only know how it works on Yellow. Might be different on the other colors. I am sold on it.
Click here:
Which kit did you buy?

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to all. Great discussion. I am going to go with Dr. ColorChip.
With regards to Langka they do make a good product and their Blob Eliminator works .

·
BAD BOW TIE
10,937 Posts
Which kit did you buy?
I just got the smaller kit to start out with. It had everything you need. I went small because I thought it might not work as good as they said but I was really surprised. You don't use much so the small kit worked fine. Over the winter I cleaned my SSR good first and then started in one place and did a little everyday until I went around the entire vehicle. I have a lighted and heated garage so just did a little each day until done. Since then I touch up any new nicks but they are few. I have installed 4 rubber mud flaps and have full running boards and stay off gravel roads.

I think this is the kit I got. It has been over a year ago but I think it was about this price and had all the things mentioned in a small box. Good luck.
Click here:

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just got the smaller kit to start out with. It had everything you need. I went small because I thought it might not work as good as they said but I was really surprised. You don't use much so the small kit worked fine. Over the winter I cleaned my SSR good first and then started in one place and did a little everyday until I went around the entire vehicle. I have a lighted and heated garage so just did a little each day until done. Since then I touch up any new nicks but they are few. I have installed 4 rubber mud flaps and have full running boards and stay off gravel roads.

I think this is the kit I got. It has been over a year ago but I think it was about this price and had all the things mentioned in a small box. Good luck.
Click here:
Thanks. I ordered the Dr ColorChip Squirt and Squeegee kit, Used the "WINTER" code and got the discount, Thanks all.
Skip

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I started some of the scratch and chip repair yesterday. Two thumbs up for Dr ColorChip.

My "R" is Ultra-Violet (Paint Code 21, WA245E). For those who have UV's the paint is also called Radar Blue and was used on 1998 Corvettes. It matches perfect. Dr ColorChip supplies it as Radar Blue.

Extremely pleased with the Dr TouchColor touch-up paint kit.
As I stated earlier that I have used the Langka touch up paint system as well and it works fine.

I observed that the Dr ColorChip paint has a very quick dry reducer and sets up fast and the only paint you can used with the Dr ColorChip kit.
Whereas the Langka supplied Blob Remover can be used with any touch up paint.

Skip

·
SSR Believer
1,592 Posts
Just a quick follow-up. After more than 6 months the Dr. ColorChip repairs are still holding up very well on our R. (y) The Aqua Blur match was spot on. (FWIW if you ever run into some confusion, GM also called the same color code 26-U/WA-214M "Bermuda Blue Metallic" for Corvettes.)

I ordered a Dr. ColorChip touch-up kit for the wife's SUV which has white pearl paint which is supposedly even harder to match than our Blur's heavy metallic, so I was a little concerned. In their documentation (before I bought it) Dr. ColorChip warned that perfect matches could be difficult since pearl is a three-coat process. I ordered it anyway and spent a few hours working on some light and fairly deep rock chips. Ultimately they came out much better than expected. Some took several coats and are a bit more visible than any on our R if you really look for them, but all-in-all I'm very pleased with the results.

Being a guy, I rarely read/follow directions, but this time I did. ;) As with any painting, good prep and lots of patience is the key.

BTW, if you sign up for their email you'll almost immediately get a 15% off discount code. They run the 15% off deals constantly. This week's code is 20YEARS. I got a free T-shirt the last time I ordered. 🎉

IMG_9835.jpeg IMG_0095.jpeg IMG_9838.jpeg IMG_9840.jpeg

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
FollowUp: at the risk of sounding like a t.v. huckster, I too purchased Dr. ColorChip for "Ole Psycho" prior to dropping off for cermic coating...using a blue light, the operator doing the work showed me a number of imperfections in the paint (in addition to the obvious chips and small scratches) barely visible under natural light. After using Dr ColorChip (prior to application of the cermic coating), we went over the same areas with the blue light...not only had the chips and scratches disappeared, so too were the paint imperfections. Cavet, it does take a good deal of patience to apply, but it does work as advertised - better than any other product i have used in the past.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts