Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if you can tow these four down? I may trade off my Dually and 5th wheel for a motor home.TIA,Dave

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
I don't think you would want to do that certainly not for an extended period of time. You add miles on the truck and use tires that are expensive. In addition the trans is circulating cold oil thru it. If I personally were going to do this I would disconnect the drive shaft and plug the tranny hole. Better option is an alum trailer to tow it on, expensive yes, but worth it. Greg Ducato will probably chime in with much better advice than I can offer. Just my .02

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
2006 Pacific Blue times 23198 & 21474
28,573 Posts
I believe that @Furykay used a drive shaft disconnect device at one time but eventually used an enclosed trailer. He might chime in here.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Spook, I have flat towed vehicles for many years. Contact a company called Remco. They sell transmission lube pumps, driveline disconnects and other products to do with towing. I would guess the SSR would have to be a manual transmission and you would need a driveline disconnect. They will be able to help you.
John F.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
John thanks. Dave is towing an 04 which means auto. I just thought the cost of a trailer versus flat towing and the time and expense to prep for towing would sway my decision. Thanks my friend!

·
Registered
249 Posts
The owner's manual states that the SSR is not desiged to be towed with any of its wheels on the ground, and "Do not tow your vehicle with all four wheels on the ground."
If a vehicle is not towable 4 wheels down from the manufacturer they will tell you in the manual it's not towable. They are protecting themselves. There are aftermarket products that can make the towable. Years ago I had an 03 Escalade. It was AWD , not 4 wheel drive with a transfer case . The truck was not towable 4 wheels down but I installed a lube pump and then you could tow it. Someone mentioned FuryKay flat towing SSR's. I used to see him many years ago at motorhome rallies and I would bet he flat towed them with a driveline disconnect and the truck would have been a stick.
John F.

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay then.Guess i'll keep the fiver and run around with my dually,like I do now.Thanks for the replies.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,647 Posts
Awww, it sure would look good on an Aluminum car hauler behind the Dually!!

Nick

·
Daily Driver
8,958 Posts
I used to see him many years ago at motorhome rallies and I would bet he flat towed them with a driveline disconnect and the truck would have been a stick.
John F.
If the driveshaft is disconnected why would it have to be a stick?

·
Registered
249 Posts
I know in the early 2000's if you had an electronic transfer case in a GM you need a drive line disconnect. if it was manual you didn't need it. I have always towed automatics which was either ok or you would need a lube pump. But I think a large number of vehicles with electronic transfer cases need modification.
John F.

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Awww, it sure would look good on an Aluminum car hauler behind the Dually!!
Yes but pulling it behind a 42' 5th wheel wouldn't look bad either.Just be really long.:surprise:

Reactions: nj6969
1 - 12 of 12 Posts