Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a NITRO Z-7 bass boat, motor, and trailer approx. 2650lbs. Once a week I trailer it to the lake approximately 100 miles round trip. Will I be able to haul this with a SSR??? Looking at them SERIOUSLY, really want one!!! Thanks, Bob

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
I own a NITRO Z-7 bass boat, motor, and trailer approx. 2650lbs. Once a week I trailer it to the lake approximately 100 miles round trip. Will I be able to haul this with a SSR??? Looking at them SERIOUSLY, really want one!!! Thanks, Bob
Any year SSR will tow the weight you are looking to tow. The main thing with the 2500 # weight limit GM states is the cooling factor. Most here would strongly recommend a Simple Engineering fan upgrade (towing or not) and a add on transmission cooler for automatic trans. Also, depending on tongue weight, in-coil airbags or coil-over shocks.
The SSR is a truck. Use it as such. Good luck with your search.

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts

I would say (go for it). But seriously consider the radiator fan upgrades as mentioned. Many years ago, I had a 1980 Toyota truck (they were kinda down-sized back then). It was a 4 cylinder, but it was also 4WD.

The clutch would not handle the weight of the boat pulling it out of the water.......except for shifting into 4WD (low range). My boat at the time was a Skeeter 17.5' with a 150 Merc. on it. That fiberglas boat was very heavy.......many said my truck was not big enough, but with the 4WD, I had no problems.

Your only concern (assuming no over heating) incidents should be the factor of a 2 wheel drive on a 'slick/wet' boat ramp.............Way back then, I hooked a tow cable to more than one truck that just couldn't pull a boat out of the water..........due to the wet surface and only 2WD.:wink2:

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
Bob

Where in Utah are you located? I’m in Ogden and know of a 2005 Aqua Blur :blur: 6-speed for sale if interested.

Rope

·
Premium Member
2006 Pacific Blue 6 speed Custom
3,310 Posts
There is a member on this site who pulls a beautiful Air Stream camper with his truck. Hopefully he will see this post or perhaps someone else knows who I'm talking about and contact him!

·
Registered
1,755 Posts

I pulled this for 9 10 years. About 1500 lbs

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
LKMURKY
448 Posts
I tow my Olson 29 Sailboat with my 04 R. 5000# with the standard hitch. I have a picture somewhere, will chase it down.
No Problem with the load, even up the 40 degree ramp, but short distances no no cooling modifications yet. I had a custom hitch built from a Cleveland PAP salvage hitch, that is extremely beefy, just haven't gotten around to installing it yet. I took him the salvage hitch and the removable OEM hitch and welder duplicated everything as far as angles, etc with a standard 2" receiver box on the bottom. Was planning on having it chromed before installation, I'm not in any hurry.
2500# Bass Boat should be no worries, mate . . .
Cary
LKMURKY
04 Slingshot

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
I have a 2005 6 speed and tow a 2011 Z7 with 2-10’power poles. I live in Southern Indiana / Louisville Ky area. No problems on hills or ramps. I do have following upgrades.

Cross member brace
Tune up by Formato
Ported throttle body
Upgraded air dam
Upgraded radiator support
The most improvement was the ECM /ECU tune up, it improved the power and fan temp
settings.
Feel free to contact me if you would like to chat.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,001 Posts
I have a full set of upgrades available to the cooling system to handle additional loads. Greg Ducato at Phoenix Transmissions in Weatherford, Texas has a set of improvements for the automatic transmission to improve the reliability when towing or adding HP.

Drop me a note if you need to chat. [email protected]

Regards,

Mike

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One question I had was how much difference there might be between the 300hp 2004 and 390hp 2005/2006?? I'm sort of holding out for an 05/06 just for the possible improved performance day in day out!!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
WOW!!! I'm impressed by the number of informative replies. It reinforces what I thought about SSR being able to tow my boat. Still looking, narrowed it down to 2005/2006 years and either red or black!
Thanks to all and PLEASE keep them coming!!

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
I'm in Cedar City, but really want either black or red. But thanks!!!

Well, You say you want a black one and a 2005/6.

If you peruse the (SSRs for Sale forum), BINGO.........there is one like you might want on there right now.

"2005 400hp ls2 6speed for sale" (Check it out, it has low miles and it is black),

By the way...........Who knows where (Cedar City) happens to be?????????????? Might that be in Utah, or maybe not as you identify as a "transplant". Meaning you are NOW there and/or maybe WERE there.:wink2:

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,212 Posts
UtahTransplant, I don't tow anything but listen to all these guys AND, Welcome from Forney Texas!!!-----Go to "Tools" in the red banner, click on "User CP" go to "Your Profile" then click "Edit Your Details". Then, whenever you "post" it will show in the left column under your name, like the rest of us, and we will know where you are and what you drive. Then if you have a problem, someone close by might be able to help out.

Nick & Kathy

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
Well, You say you want a black one and a 2005/6.

If you peruse the (SSRs for Sale forum), BINGO.........there is one like you might want on there right now.

"2005 400hp ls2 6speed for sale" (Check it out, it has low miles and it is black),

By the way...........Who knows where (Cedar City) happens to be?????????????? Might that be in Utah, or maybe not as you identify as a "transplant". Meaning you are NOW there and/or maybe WERE there.:wink2:
moscooter

He was replying to my question earlier and Cedar City, UT is only about 2.5 hours north of Vegas. Good thing you got yours :black: when you did. >:)

:wink2: Rope

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
moscooter

He was replying to my question earlier and Cedar City, UT is only about 2.5 hours north of Vegas. Good thing you got yours :black: when you did. >:)

:wink2: Rope

:smile2: You are absolutely right. My wife and I had to fly all the way from the No. Carolina coast to Vegas.......and then over 2400 miles to get back home. He could have beat me like a drum getting there from Utah.

I'm happy with mine and all the "mods" that were already done to enhance the cooling and handling, etc. Hope he finds one that fits the bill for him. :wink2:

Moscooter

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
What year did you get?
How much difference in performance between 300hp and the 390hp ????
:smile2:

UT.........Personally, I really couldn't tell you the difference as I've never driven nor ridden in (any)SSR prior to stepping off of a plane in Vegas in November and getting into the one I bought which is a 2005 (six speed stick).

In addition, it's been over 30 years since I drove any car/truck with a standard transmission. Last one was my '80 Toyota truck 4WD.

I've owned 3 Vettes over the years, and this SSR (tracks) down the road like it's on rails. Of course, it can't hang with a Vette nor handle as well...........but I was impressed be the road handling on the return trip.

Understand that mine has (many) of the upgrades from Mike at Simple Engineering which one of is the front frame stiffening plate. I chatted on the phone with Mike a few weeks back and he related that a "stock" SSR has some frame (flex) and handling as I was experiencing it would not be there without that plate and other "mods" that I also have.

Seriously consider some of his (mods) if the one you finally find doesn't have them already.:wink2:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts