Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw someone mention TPM's in the spare tire thread. In that thread I asked about TPM's but never got a response. My Corvette had TPM's and the IPC would cycle through the front and rear displaying the tire pressure. Even my wife's Toyota will display the tire pressure. In the spare tire post someone also mentioned displaying the SSR tire pressure. I have gone through the manual of my 2003 and don't see any mention of TPM's. Am I missing something? Can I add TPM's to the tires and get the tire pressure to display or is that an aftermarket function found in some of the new Radio/GPS additions.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
2,055 Posts
I saw someone mention TPM's in the spare tire thread. In that thread I asked about TPM's but never got a response. My Corvette had TPM's and the IPC would cycle through the front and rear displaying the tire pressure. Even my wife's Toyota will display the tire pressure. In the spare tire post someone also mentioned displaying the SSR tire pressure. I have gone through the manual of my 2003 and don't see any mention of TPM's. Am I missing something? Can I add TPM's to the tires and get the tire pressure to display or is that an aftermarket function found in some of the new Radio/GPS additions.
Thanks
No SSRs were equipped from the factory with TPMS.
You can add them aftermarket with a separate display or some aftermarket radios can display the tire pressure.
You can have the OEM style internal sensors installed or use external ones that replace the valve caps. There are various display options available.
I have the external ones that are very small and unobtrusive with. Small LCD display that plugs into a power outlet. They go to sleep when the vehicle has not moved for a while. They work great, batteries in the sensors last a year and are easy to change like hearing aide batteries.

·
Premium Member
04 SSR
3,171 Posts
I installed an external type. It's difficult to see with top down but works great. Downside is remembering to unplug when done with road trip.
Purchased on Amazon under 100. It was a great piece of mind driving to Maggie Valley.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
31,844 Posts
I haven't installed one in my 'R yet, but I did on my Silverado (it has a nasty habit of collecting nails in its tires - and true to form, I found one in the right rear recently).

I modified the switch panel on the dash and with some surgery on the TPMS housing, I got it to fit and look like a factory installation. The sensors are factory style that attach inside the rims. I'd do the same on the 'R if there were a place on the dash it would blend in.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Valve cap mounts.

Mine go though my Kenwood radio. They come display when the car is started, when there is low pressure, or when you push a button.

I had the OEM style internal ones. The batteries did not last and the tire would have to be taken off to replace. These are caps and they can be moved when I change wheels.

I like them and would recommend that type. I purchased on e-bay.com.

Dave

·
Premium Member
9,796 Posts
I haven't installed one in my 'R yet, but I did on my Silverado (it has a nasty habit of collecting nails in its tires - and true to form, I found one in the right rear recently).

I modified the switch panel on the dash and with some surgery on the TPMS housing, I got it to fit and look like a factory installation. The sensors are factory style that attach inside the rims. I'd do the same on the 'R if there were a place on the dash it would blend in.
Lose the ashtray...wasted space.. would work in the space..and just store that ashtray

1 - 8 of 8 Posts