Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am competing in the Cannonball run from London to Rome next week (16th September) and as my SSR has now done over 1000 miles I took her out yesterday and gave her "her head" :reddevil The thing is, even kicking down at 90 mph the Traction Control warning light (T/C) kept coming on and staying on for a minute or so before going off :confused In fact on a "reasonably quick" 100 mile drive (certainly not what I would call a "balls out drive") the T/C light was on 75% of the time. Is this normal and has anybody else experienced this :confused And don't forget my problem is I can't take it back to the dealer coz he's on your side of the pond!! :lol :thumbs :flag

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'm pretty sure it automatically comes on over 90mph and only goes off when the vehicle returns to speeds under 90mph. The first time I saw my light it took me by suprise at 110mph, but went off as soon as I slowed up a bit.

ps I am enjoying a nice cup of Whittard English Breakfase tea as I type. When I was in London last summer I think I cleaned the store out on High Street in Kennsington. :) ( only to realize the website ordering takes less space in the luggage )

·
Growing Older but Not Up
1,350 Posts
Fiveoh said:
I'm pretty sure it automatically comes on over 90mph and only goes off when the vehicle returns to speeds under 90mph. The first time I saw my light it took me by suprise at 110mph, but went off as soon as I slowed up a bit.

ps I am enjoying a nice cup of Whittard English Breakfase tea as I type. When I was in London last summer I think I cleaned the store out on High Street in Kennsington. :) ( only to realize the website ordering takes less space in the luggage )
Actually, unless you manually switch it off with the T/C toggle switch, its always on, but automatically goes off when you exceed 90 MPH. the light you see is an "off" indicator.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
There is an explaination of it in the owners manual. The TC is programmed to turn off at 100 mph and not re-engage until you slow back down to under 90 mph.

The owners manual has a lot of other good info in it too....

·
OP
8,226 Posts
light comes on

The light comes on (which means traction control is off/disabled) at 100 mph and will not re-engage until dropping to 90 mph or lower. It then stays engaged unless you manually switch it off or climb back up to 100 mph or more.
Good luck in the cannonball, if you ever need a co-pilot give me a shout :)

·
Premium Member
3,672 Posts
One other thing it might be - when I first got mine - it kept going on and off at all speeds..... even at a dead stop. Turned out to be a loose wire in the dash switch.

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,101 Posts
For those contemplating high speed travel:

1. The speed limiter built into the PCM coding will limit top speed to about 125 to 130, because the tires are only rated to that speed.

2. If oyu defeat the speed limiter, be sure to actually put on tires capable of higher speed!

Jim G

·
Registered
178 Posts
tc light

Mad-dog said:
I am competing in the Cannonball run from London to Rome next week (16th September) and as my SSR has now done over 1000 miles I took her out yesterday and gave her "her head" :reddevil The thing is, even kicking down at 90 mph the Traction Control warning light (T/C) kept coming on and staying on for a minute or so before going off :confused In fact on a "reasonably quick" 100 mile drive (certainly not what I would call a "balls out drive") the T/C light was on 75% of the time. Is this normal and has anybody else experienced this :confused And don't forget my problem is I can't take it back to the dealer coz he's on your side of the pond!! :lol :thumbs :flag

When you manually downshift to 1st gear on the slapstick auto the TC light comes on as well. :seeya

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys

Looks like I should have read the handbook first eh!?? :rolleyes: But at least I've learnt all I need to know very quickly and from people who actually know these things! :thumbs As you say Jim I also very quickly learnt about the 125mph limiter :mad I was really hoping the Predator would be ready by now but no such luck!! :mad So I guess I 'aint gonna win no trophies (but I'll have the only SSR on the run :cool )

Thanks guys and gals
:flag ;) :thumbs

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,101 Posts
Mad-dog: Lyndon Wester can easily defeat that limiter for you if you have sufficient time to get the PCM to him and back before the run (don't know when your run is to occur).

He can be contacted at:

[email protected]

Jim G

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If only

JimGnitecki said:
Mad-dog: Lyndon Wester can easily defeat that limiter for you if you have sufficient time to get the PCM to him and back before the run (don't know when your run is to occur).

He can be contacted at:

[email protected]

Jim G
We are due to leave home on the 15th for the start line in London so not much hope of a derestricted SSR I feel :mad .........thanks anyway Jim :thumbs
Just where the hell of those Predators got to !! :mad

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you can't beat them ...... join them

We're coming over to Orlando on the 27th September to the 5th October to buy a holiday home there!! :cool A bit drastic I know but at least I should soon be able to bring back my "goodies" on the plane...........and maybe get to meet some of you guys one day :) :thumbs :flag

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,101 Posts
Mad-Dog: You should talk to Lyndon about buying a "core" PCM from him and bringing it back with you, pre-programmed by him.

Seriously.

I will be posting some very interesting fuel mileage results later today. His tune was GOOD for my SSR.

Jim G

1 - 13 of 13 Posts