Chevy SSR Forum banner

Do you DISABLE Traction Control for everyday driving?

• Yes

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • No

Votes: 46 78.0%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
SSR Owners Group
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The other Traction Control thread morphed out of the TC discussion, and so I thought I'd start a new thread and POLL.

I once read that with the Traction Control ON (No light on dash) that there is some HP loss. So, ever since then I have made it a point to disable TC whenEVER I drive my SSR. (No snow or wet driving for me - if I can avoid it.)

Am I alone or do some of you all do the same???

·
Premium Member
20,783 Posts
a guy at work has a zo6 vette I talked to him about the traction control, those guys are lucky if they press the t/c button once it goes into competetion mode(what ever that is) you hit it again and it turns it off why didnt they do that for us

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
I don't do it for everyday driving (just too annoying to remember it every time).

BUT every time I run a 0-60 time I turn it off....I believe that it does shave 0.3 seconds off (now for those of you who read my reg vs premium gas post, that would mean I would shave 0.6 off my time if I use premium and turn the T/C off).
I run a 6.3 second 0-60 with a 2003 (measured with an accelerometer) the magnaflow exhaust I put on did not change my 0-60. [I ran in the 6.5-6.6 range in the winter of 2003-04 stock]

·
OP
8,268 Posts
rear end fishtail

I'm glad I have it, it comes in handy quite often especially to control the rear end fishtail that occurs quite often when I have to punch it into a tight right turn to get through traffic at a particulary busy 2-way stop that should be a 4-way so I wouldn't have to worry about it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I leave it on most times, because of fear of litigation if something goes wrong. I can hear it now.....

Victims Lawyer: "Mr Corelli, is it true you had the traction control turned off the day of the accident?"

Me: "Um, Yes."

Lawyer: "Then you intentionally defeated a safety device for your own childish pleasure?"

Me: "Um, Yes, but they crashed into ME! I was at the traffic light."

Lawyer: But, if you had the traction control disabled, surely you must have had some good reason, No?"

And then unable to make the payments due to incarceration, I would be SSR-less, and very unhappy.

Society is too litigious. I'll bet there's a black box that records the position of certain switches, throttle postion, brake application, etc. I know My H2 has one, as well as my friend's Silverado. The first thing they do after an accident is download the computers. They use your own vehicle against you. It happened on Long Island recently. A Vette and Mercedes were racing. There was an accident. Mercedes refused to give up the data, but GM handed it right over. Of course, in this case the people involved got punished, and who could argue with that. BUT, what rights were given up?

Any further, and this might get political. I ain't going there.

So

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
I turn it off everytime I drive the truck, I have traction control on my Avalanche and it has about gotten me in an accident several times. I pull out into traffic at WOT and it breaks the rear tires loose and then I loose all power and "crawl" out into traffic and pray the traffic sees me and slows down.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Well, I had to vote "YES" because the manual tranny 05's do not have TC. Therefore, I am always driving without it.

Now, on our C5 Vette, we mostly drive with it on. I use the "competition mode" at the track and the autocross course. I also had to disable it once when we got caught in a blizzard outside of Rexburg, ID on our way back from Vegas so I could get turned around.....

·
Registered
102 Posts
With today's societial views on law suits and who accepts responsibility for their actions you need to consider a Personal Liability Umbrella Policy. They provide a min of $1mil and up of excess liability coverage should you be sued from an auto, homeownership or other personal injury situation. Priced from $120 to $400 or so per year they ARE an insurance AND peace of mind bargan. PLUS, your costs for defense do NOT take away from the coverage amount available to pay damages you are found liable for.

Anyone who has even a small pot to piss in as they say needs one of these. SSR owners in general I assume fall in the "above average" means so have more than enough income, savings and other assets to protect. Even if you have to raise deductibles on other policies to afford one it's a smart trade off for a higher deductible to get a MIL plus defense costs. Then you can enjoy what you worked so hard to get!!!!

Be safe but have fun and enjoy along the way.

·
SSR Owners Group
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
KySSR said:
I turn it off everytime I drive the truck, I have traction control on my Avalanche and it has about gotten me in an accident several times. I pull out into traffic at WOT and it breaks the rear tires loose and then I loose all power and "crawl" out into traffic and pray the traffic sees me and slows down.
All it took for me was one of these situations to make sure I shut the thing off - nothing worse than trying to clear an intersection - at a crawl...

As far as being sued - this sure is a sue happy country - and I hadn't considered the implications. BUT, being in a mostly dry area - I see no reason to leave it on. I think the last time I may have needed it was the Sequoia run - due to the snow runoff...

Attachments

·
Registered
369 Posts
Black Box

Al Corelli,
Not to take the paranoia :eek out of your life, the Black box you refer to is not the same black box that you have in airplanes. There are two types of "black boxes" on an airplane. One monitors vital functions such as engince function, yaw, and various control funtions. The other "black box" records the last 5 minutes of cockpit conversation. Its a continuous loop take recorder, and that why theres only the last five minutes. And by the way, these are both painted white and orange for easy identication and retrival, so their really not "Black Boxes".
Now the "black box"on the automobile only records engine/powertrain operations,
not speed. I'm sure that some bright engineer could help some slimy legal begal, (as you can see, I don't think to higly of the legal profession), determine what was going on just prior to impact, but there are better ways to do it, and quicker.

Now to make you all parinoid, ON STAR, that great safety device, (and it is), has a new feature this year, that if during very unique driving situations, such as doing a 1 and 1/2 gainer with a double reverse twist, (ie: roll over), they will call you to see if everything is ok. It used to be that the air bag had to deploy before this happened. Now the car tattles on you if you do any extreme fear factor stunts. (Starting to feel like JimG). We now return you to your normally scheduled programming. :willy:
Mike :cool
Semper Fi

·
Las Vegas Mob
1,428 Posts
1) I never drive the SSR in wet or icy conditions. Never.
2) I am a control freak - and this includes driving.
3) I turn the T/C "off" as soon as I start the engine.

Blast

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thanks for the info regarding airplane boxes and On Star. A friend claims to have been called while rock climbing his H2 (mine doesn't go out in the rain, my SSR either) and we all thought he was full of poop.

Having had the wonderful experience of working for one of the highest billing law firms, and also another client who is one of the oldest, plus having an uncle who is retired from GM legal, I have been the unfortunate witness to stories of some of the strangest lawsuits and just what car companies will do to avoid litigation.
And what information they will gather whilst preparing for litigation.

I used to be carefree and stupid. Now I'm not carefree anymore. :)

Not paranoid really (well...maybe just a little)

Watch Six said:
Al Corelli,
Not to take the paranoia :eek out of your life, the Black box you refer to is not the same black box that you have in airplanes. There are two types of "black boxes" on an airplane. One monitors vital functions such as engince function, yaw, and various control funtions. The other "black box" records the last 5 minutes of cockpit conversation. Its a continuous loop take recorder, and that why theres only the last five minutes. And by the way, these are both painted white and orange for easy identication and retrival, so their really not "Black Boxes".
Now the "black box"on the automobile only records engine/powertrain operations,
not speed. I'm sure that some bright engineer could help some slimy legal begal, (as you can see, I don't think to higly of the legal profession), determine what was going on just prior to impact, but there are better ways to do it, and quicker.

Now to make you all parinoid, ON STAR, that great safety device, (and it is), has a new feature this year, that if during very unique driving situations, such as doing a 1 and 1/2 gainer with a double reverse twist, (ie: roll over), they will call you to see if everything is ok. It used to be that the air bag had to deploy before this happened. Now the car tattles on you if you do any extreme fear factor stunts. (Starting to feel like JimG). We now return you to your normally scheduled programming. :willy:
Mike :cool
Semper Fi

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.