Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As a private collector of fine, limited production automobiles & trucks, I am once again looking for something different

Over the past 5 years I have bought, enjoyed & sold the following special vehicles:

2000 Ford Lightning (Supercharged)
2002 Ford Boss 5.4 F-150 (#361 of 498)
1987 Buick Grand National (Turbocharged)
1991 GMC Syclone (Turbocharged)
1992 GMC Typhoon (Turbocharged)
2004 Chrysler Crossfire
1987 Buick Grand National GNX (Turbocharged) (#485 of 547)
and lastly
1990 Callaway Corvette (Twin Turbocharged) (#36 of 58)

My wife has been a true sweetheart, she allows me to play with one "Special" car / truck at a time (limited parking) as long as I keep using the same money (money already spent) to get something new

She has been my pit crew at the drag strip, my partner at the various club gatherings, my alter ego when something new comes along, my co-mechanic when something needs fixed, and a wonderful co-pilot on those cross country trips when I am bringing my new toys home for the first time

In looking at the past 5 years, I can see that all of these cars / trucks I have enjoyed have been about "ME". They were vehicles that i wanted, they were vehicles that I had always dreampt about, and they fed my desire to enjoy as many great "Special" vehicles as I could while i was still young enough to do so

All during this time, the only vehicle that ever got deep under Lynn's skin was a 2004 Ultra Violet SSR

While I was making a deal for the Crossfire, she was thinking about a SSR

While I was buying Ben Crenshaw's Buick GNX up in Oregon, Lynn had seen magazine pictures of an SSR

When we both flew out to North Carolina to purchase the Callaway Corvette, the 1st thing we saw in the airport parking lot was a "SSR"

All these signs, and I was blinded by my own greed & enjoyment

It's not that I don't agree with her because I do, the UV SSR is near the top of my list of future vehicles to own. I have read up on the SSR's for hundreds of hours, and Lynn & I have test driven SSR's in the past year

She has never begged for the truck, she has never bargained for the truck, and she has never demanded her turn to buy the truck

But all along she has wished for the truck

Lynn will be 41 in 2 months, and now that i have removed my head from my a$$, I can see what having that truck would really mean to her

Lynn WILL get an SSR for her Birthday, somehow, someway, but she will get a chance to experience what i have over the past 5 years

I will gladly sell / trade my Callaway Corvette so that she can get her SSR

The Callaway is as follows:

Twin Turbocharged
Corvette Coupe
Black Exterior / Red Leather Interior
6 Speed
Magnesium Rims with ZR rated Tires
390 HP, 570 Ft Lbs of Torque
191 MPH Top Speed
Car cost $65,000 in 1990
$37,000 cost of new corvette, $28,000 for Callaway Twin Turbo
Chevrolet RPO Code B2K
Car is in near mint condition
17000 original miles (6000 of them put on in 2005)
This car is #36 of 58 Callaway Corvettes made in 1990
Words cannot describe what a beast this car is
It still is, to this day, one of the fastest Corvettes ever produced
Callaway made right around 500 Twin Turbo's between 1987 and 1991

From a collectability standpoint, the SSR will never match the rarity of the Callaway

I don't car about losing money in a trade, as long as i am losing it for the right reason (my wife)

You've heard my story, now make me an offer

Who has a high option Purple, Aqua Blur, or Yellow SSR (new or used) that would be interested in a straight across trade for my Callaway Corvette

Worst case, I will sell the Callaway (private party) & buy an SSR from a dealership like most other people

I would rather trade if I had the opportunity

Make me an offer........and make my wife's dream come true

Best Regards

Ray Fletcher
Orange, California

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
Even if you were lying through your teeth, that story will get someone to buy the vette. and now your wife will truly know how much you love her. Hope it sells fast we need more SSR Babes around here.

·
Registered
130 Posts
sytech-02 - If my wife reads your post and realizes what a selfish "car hog" I have been/am still, I am going to have to hunt you down :D

Any pictures of the CCTT you can e-mail ([email protected])? Might have a buddy that would be interested.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Its The Truth.....LOL

As bizarre as it may seem, I do love my wife

We just celebrated our 18th Anniversary, and even though at 48 i'm not destined for the rocker just yet, I do have to look at basic mortality and make the most out of each day, and out of each dollar

Unfortunately, there are more cool, exotic, limited production vehicles out there to keep me trading well beyond my remaining years (and savings) so what difference does it make to me if I get my wife to enjoy her dream vehicles also

I have been a gear head all my life. My Dad was a race car mechanic, and later owned his own service station / garage. I grew up with motorcycles, joined the Marine Corps and worked on AH-1G, AH-1J Attack helicopters, and UH-1N Utility helicopters. I spent my 20 years in the USMC, got out, and started my own business in Environmental Contracting

I love tools, heavy equipment, anything mechanical, and I believe heavily in the saying that " If it has BOOBS or an ENGINE, then its gonna be expensive"

Everyone I talk to tells me to keep the Vette, and just go out and buy the SSR in addition to what I currently own

My biggest problem is parking

I have a 2 car garage, but half of it is filled with junk, and the other half is filled with the Vette

I can park 3 across in front of the garage, but i already have 3 other vehicles to fill those spaces also

In our city, we have street sweeping every Thursday and all vehicles must be off the street, or they get a $45.00 street sweeping obstruction ticket.....Thus my problem. I could always park a vehicle on my front grass but who wants to screw up the sod by doing that

For a new vehicle to come to my house, another vehicle must go on to a new owner. Its the game I play, and I try to play it well....lol

I don't want to remove anyone from the SSR community by trading for their vehicle, but I did want to make my offer incase anyone was playing the ownership / enjoyment game the same way that I do

What i am doing is nothing more than Automotive Bartering

I have a Title Free vehicle, you have a Title Free vehicle....I like yours & you like mine, so lets switch

So once again folks, the offer is on the table

If you are interested EMail me at [email protected]

Pictures of the Vette are available upon request

Later everyone

And thanks for all the EMails that I received today

Ray Fletcher
Sytech Environmental Services, Inc.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hey Ray,
Simple solution. Have a 10' or 12' X 20' shed etheir delivered or built in your back yard. (About $3000). Take all the junk out of the one side of your garage and store it in the shed. Then you will have room to keep the vette. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry....lol

Steve, I know what you mean.....LOL

When I first got heavy back into the car scene, I invited my wife everywhere I went, to all the meetings, all the tracks, on cruises, etc.

I figured I would bore her so much that she would finally just say "No Dear, you go ahead by yourself with all the guys"...........................NOT!

Little did I know that her future involvement was primarily because she thought that she would do it for ME because i always asked her to be there

In this instance, reverse psychology got crammed back up my butt big time...

I laugh about it now, but wouldn't want it any other way, She gets enjoyment from seeing me happy, and i enjoy her involvement in my hobby

Pictures are on the way via EMail

Later

Ray

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm interested in your Callaway. PM me with your best cash price, also do you have any pictures of the car? Was this car on ebay in the last year or so?

Thanks,
Ron

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks For the Suggestion

Broomer,

Thanks for the solution

I only wish it was that easy

Land is at an absolute premium in SoCal, its like a ZILLION dollars an inch (and rising) ...lol

My 4 bedroom House sits on a 8000 sq. ft. lot, with half of the back yard set up with a pool / waterfall / gazebo

The other half already has a concrete patio and a big shed, and i really don't have room for another one

I keep alot of construction equipment / supplies / tools at home and this is what really detracts from my available space

Lynn would love for me to sell it all and clear up the space, but as soon as the next construction job comes up i'd have to go and buy half the $hit all over again

Trading spaces (parking) is the way i will go on this deal in order to make it happen ASAP

Later,

Ray

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a 2004 ultraviolet SSR, loaded including the nice black car cover with SSR logo. 7800 miles. I'll be at the Irwindale Speedway July 2nd if you want to see it. My wife also likes the SSR color (it was her choice) but the Callaway could be just as good.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Garage space solution?

sytech-02 said:
Broomer,

Thanks for the solution

I only wish it was that easy

Land is at an absolute premium in SoCal, its like a ZILLION dollars an inch (and rising) ...lol

My 4 bedroom House sits on a 8000 sq. ft. lot, with half of the back yard set up with a pool / waterfall / gazebo

The other half already has a concrete patio and a big shed, and i really don't have room for another one

I keep alot of construction equipment / supplies / tools at home and this is what really detracts from my available space

Lynn would love for me to sell it all and clear up the space, but as soon as the next construction job comes up i'd have to go and buy half the $hit all over again

Trading spaces (parking) is the way i will go on this deal in order to make it happen ASAP

Later,

Ray

If you have the space how about a home garage lift? A vette takes up little verticle space and you could always put the top down on an SSR while under or on top of a lift. @ vehicles parked in the space of 1!! Just a suggestion if you have the ceiling height.

Good luck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
2004 UV Heading To California This Friday

Well, I waited long enough and finally decided to buy the 04 UV out in Oklahoma City

The Callaway will be a part of my life a little longer now.....lol

the UV was 1st sold in Jan 05

Vin last 5 is mid 11000's

3350 miles on ODO

Sales price was $29,500 plus $149.00 document fees

Tags are current, but I'll have to pay Sales Tax (7.75%) in Cali when I switch registration / plates over

I am flying out Friday afternoon, signing the papers, dropping the top, and heading 1330 miles due west (I-40 & I-15)

Hope to see some fellow SSR owners along the way

Later

Ray

·
Registered
71 Posts
Cool

I think you both will love it. Enjoy the trip and tell us how it goes. What a way to go.
Before you leave, consider signing up for the Irwindale run on July 2nd. It will be a great chance to get out and enjoy the SSR after your trip home, and you can meet other SSR Fanatics. There are still 4 spaces left as of now. PM Tony (crazyrtr53) if you're interested.
Have a great drive!

:ssr

·
Registered
254 Posts
Yaller Dog

sytech-02 said:
Well, I waited long enough and finally decided to buy the 04 UV out in Oklahoma City

The Callaway will be a part of my life a little longer now.....lol

the UV was 1st sold in Jan 05

Vin last 5 is mid 11000's

3350 miles on ODO

Sales price was $29,500 plus $149.00 document fees

Tags are current, but I'll have to pay Sales Tax (7.75%) in Cali when I switch registration / plates over

I am flying out Friday afternoon, signing the papers, dropping the top, and heading 1330 miles due west (I-40 & I-15)

Hope to see some fellow SSR owners along the way

Later

Ray
Hey Ray, give me a call when you have concluded your business. I live in Oklahoma City and will come to where ever you are when you call, and we can admire each others SSR's. My SSR is an '05 in Slingshot Yellow. Joe @ 755-8379, or cell 308-1441. I'll even buy your supper.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks For The Offer

Joe,

I am picking the SSR up from "Richardson Suzuki" at 801 W. I-240 Service Road, Oklahoma City, OK 73139 / (405) 634-5600 around 2:00 pm tomorrow afternoon

My flight gets in to the World Airport at 1:30 pm and I am traveling light (carry on bag only). The dealership said that they would pick me up at the airport after i arrived, so i hope to be at the dealership by 2:00 - 2:15.

All the purchase paperwork was FEDEXed to me earlier this week, and they are suppossed to have the SSR full of gas, detailed, and ready to fly, so all i need to do is check out the vehicle, give them a check for $29,649, grab the keys and go

I would love to stop for an early dinner, and get a chance to check out your new Yellow Beast also

My cell is (714) 926-6676

Later,

Ray Fletcher

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Safe In Cali

I just finished unloading the vehicle from my 1354 mile trip from Oklahoma City back home to California

I flew in to Oklahoma on Friday at 1:30, was at the dealership by 2:15, had the paperwork completed by 2:45 and I was on the freeway by 3:15 pm

I pulled in to my driveway in Cali at 8:00 pm Saturday night

By far one of the easiest purchases from a dealership that i have ever experienced

SSR drove wonderfully, no problems at all, averaged 17.1 mpg for the trip home, and i even managed to make it home with no speeding tickets....lol

I drove 500 some odd miles friday night and got a room outside of Albuquerque, NM. Got up at 6:30 am this morning and made it home by 8:00 pm

I drove over 700 miles today with the top down, and only had to make 2 emergency stops to put the top up because of rain

Temp gage stayed to the left of 210 all day, even thru the desert area heats

I had my wife drive out to Barstow and meet me on my way in so she could drive her SSR the last 2 hours home.......

Price was exactly as stated before I flew out, and it came with everything except the side storage boxes and chrome wheels........The back bed rug, wood strips, cross bar, cargo net, running boards, Bose 6 disc, trailer hitch insert, etc, etc

Pictures to follow after I get a good nights sleep

I missed meeting Joe in OK by almost 2 hours.....When we finally managed to talk to each other, I was almost to the Texas Border

Later everyone

Ray

·
West Coast Pit Crew
10,185 Posts
Congrats to the Wife on her SSR

sytech-02 said:
I just finished unloading the vehicle from my 1354 mile trip from Oklahoma City back home to California

I flew in to Oklahoma on Friday at 1:30, was at the dealership by 2:15, had the paperwork completed by 2:45 and I was on the freeway by 3:15 pm

I pulled in to my driveway in Cali at 8:00 pm Saturday night

By far one of the easiest purchases from a dealership that i have ever experienced

SSR drove wonderfully, no problems at all, averaged 17.1 mpg for the trip home, and i even managed to make it home with no speeding tickets....lol

I drove 500 some odd miles friday night and got a room outside of Albuquerque, NM. Got up at 6:30 am this morning and made it home by 8:00 pm

I drove over 700 miles today with the top down, and only had to make 2 emergency stops to put the top up because of rain

Temp gage stayed to the left of 210 all day, even thru the desert area heats

I had my wife drive out to Barstow and meet me on my way in so she could drive her SSR the last 2 hours home.......

Price was exactly as stated before I flew out, and it came with everything except the side storage boxes and chrome wheels........The back bed rug, wood strips, cross bar, cargo net, running boards, Bose 6 disc, trailer hitch insert, etc, etc

Pictures to follow after I get a good nights sleep

I missed meeting Joe in OK by almost 2 hours.....When we finally managed to talk to each other, I was almost to the Texas Border

Later everyone

Ray
Glad you got back safe and sound, I've made that trip before it's a haul :thumbs
I don't know if you have thought about it yet but now that you have your SSR I still have two spots to fill for the Irwindale Speedway Event. PM me if your interested, a great chance to meet alot of owners in So. Cal.

Happy :ssr ing

:seeya Tony

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well most of you know all about me by now. I am the wife of Sytech02, the most wonderful guy out there. this is my first time on a forum. I am not a computer person. Ray was setting my computer up so I would have 1 button access to read what all of you experienced SSR people are talking about and I came across his post. After reading it, I am sitting here in tears to think that I am loved that much -It is still hard to believe that he was going to get rid of his mistress for me. I say that because I have always called his car his mistress. He researches them, then finds the exact one, he usually goes alone to pick it up ( I went on the vette only) and then he spends the next few months on the computer and under a hood cleaning and buffing and polishing... until he finds his next mistress.

I am not jealous of "her". Ray has been through alot - military, divorce, kids, war... ME!!! and through it all he never complains, he just does what needs to be done.

I have never really been into cars. I just wanted to be with him until I saw my first UV SSR at a GM show in 2004. Once I saw this car I told Ray one day I would have it. At the time I expected that to be in about 2010 - when our last son will be 18. Then I can stop having a 4dr and have what I want.

Well my wish came true alittle sooner thanks to my sweetheart. Im going to start crying again so I better go -

Wildcat66 - Im starting to realize just how much I really am loved - sorry I wouldn't call mysef a babe (remember 41 in July :( )

Colorado - you bet he got lucky when he got home!!!

We will be at the Irwindale get together on July 2. I am looking forward to seeing all these great SSR's and getting an idea of just how great they can look enmass.

Thanks for letting me spill my guts and mu tears -
Lin

1 - 20 of 25 Posts