Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The novelty finally wore off and I got tired of being stared at so I traded my SSR with 8,800 miles on it for a new Z71 Tahoe yesterday. I spent a week in it on vacation and got felt too cramped to move plus my left ankle always felt like it was sprained the way I had to angle it while driving.

I love the styling but since I have a Z06 Vette as a toy and had to use the SSR for a daily driver I opted for something more practical especially with winter coming in a few months the Tahoe will be nice.

Also, I found out at car shows in this area the judges don't like new vehicles no matter how unique they are.

:nopity :banghead

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Trade

If you don't mind me asking, what did you get for your trade?

·
SSR Owners Group
3,753 Posts
Dragon said:
Also, I found out at car shows in this area the judges don't like new vehicles no matter how unique they are.
Heck - that's what made it worth it to me to take my SSR to the shows!!! I liked watching the 'vette owners (and classic car owners too) watch the public walk past their cars/trucks to see the NEW SSR!

·
Premium Member
9,216 Posts
I'm with you on that one!!! - Just did a car show, and I felt bad for the guys on either side - one had a 55 chev hardtop, the other a 57 Chev BelAir convertible. The convertible was a ground up restoration he purchased a couple of years ago at Barret Jackson - awesome car, and the owner couldn't believe the reaction the SSR got. The knowledgeable car guys were all over it, but the masses didn't pay much attention to it. Funniest reaction that day was the two 20ish guys with a beer in their hand, giving me the thumbs up and yelling "that's totally f------g sick, man"

Received a call yesterday from the organizers of a fairly large show this weekend making sure I was taking the SSR, after the response it got at their last show in June. Over 800 cars in the show, and the SSR was definitely getting more than its share of action. GM should be paying me for the PR!!!

It's the only one on the road in the area, and my wife is loving the reaction it gets. I want to sell this one, and wait for the 6 speed next summer, but she wants to keep this one because of the automatic - what a terrible quandry - oh no!!! I'd have to keep an SSR around. :party

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
I agree with the car show response I don't want to compete against people who have worked many hours on their rides and for them to be ignored. But my truck at this point and time is unique in that there aren't very many around and even less that are interested in showing them at car shows. But the people who come to cars shows want to see all types and styles!

·
Premium Member
9,216 Posts
I've done car shows for years with different rides, and the SSR seems to appeal to virtually all show participants, as well as spectators. The owners of 48 - 51 trucks consistently ask to have pictures of their truck with the SSR. The rod owners love it, the muscle car guys keep coming around. The only cold response I felt I was getting was from the guy with a very custom Viper and Prowler close to where I was - he totally ignored the SSR, probably because I was stealing some of his thunder - especially when I did the top routine. I was tempted to have a sign saying the top will go up at the hour and half hour. The top will go down at :15 and :45.

I've been avoiding doing anything tomy 03, just so I won't get too attached to it. If it's going to stay, I would definitely do some major work - starting with wheels, painted brakes, chrome, paint and polish under the hood, probably paint the running boards yellow, etc. When the SSR novelty wears off at the shows, it would still be a legitimate show entry. But ---- that 6 speed is sure tempting.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I can put my self in their shoes.

I mean, anyone, can go plunk down cash at a dealership.

But there are classic car owners who do little more than plan which shops to shuttle the carcaus too/from.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
looking4_an_ssr said:
If you don't mind me asking, what did you get for your trade?
The Tahoe was amost $45,000 and I paid $59 for the paperwork.

I did the car show circuit for 10 years, which included 2 1955 Chevys, a radical 1940 Ford, a Pro-Street 66 Nova SS, a 67 Nova with a built 396 and a 1998 Indy Pace Car. I loved the styling of the SSR but since it was a daily driver and since I'm 60 years old I needed to have at least one vehicle that was more practical.

Attachments

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Think he's asking how much you got for your SSR?

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Vettin Man said:
Think he's asking how much you got for your SSR?
The Tahoe was $45,000

Getting a $1,200 check back.

Cost $59 for them to do the paperwork.

$45,000 (+) $1,200 (-) $59 means I got $46,141 for the SSR which I paid $46,600 for. Had it since February 13th and drove it 8,800 miles.

However, since the rebate was $5,500 on the Tahoe means I only got $40,641 but I'd rather think I got the deal above.

One local dealer was asking $12,000 over sticker for his SSR's a month ago and in the Sunday's paper I saw his ad for $5,000 off sticker. Is that an indication of the demand?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts