Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering the Trailblazer cross member and front stabilizer. What model of Trailblazer cross member will work?

·
Premium Member
3,847 Posts
I have the cross member from an 05 TB, costs about the same as Simple-Engineering's model and Mike's is better looking.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll check the price in my area. Don't really care what it looks like as nobody but me will see it. Is '05 the only year that will work?

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,165 Posts
I found them on the GMCs more common than on the Trailblazers at the local pic a part. They were all of $8 from the pic a part yard by me. I did buy new bolts for mine because I found the factory ones off the Envoy were rusted badly on one side.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,470 Posts
The one that simple-engineering is selling is made of parallel square tube instead of channel and therefore is considerably stiffer than the units made for the Trailblazer and Envoy. The GM parts must be for the Trailblazer EXT or Envoy EXT since the other models only came with one mounting hole and got the same bar we got.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
I'm kinda clueless here... just trying to understand. Will an updated cross member really make any significant difference in normal or spirited driving? If so, what difference might that be?

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,165 Posts
My opinion on it is that it helps reduce body noise and helps stiffen up the truck. When I back out of my driveway there is a bump between my drive and the road of about 2-3 inches. After I put the brace on it makes less creaking noise when I back out. That alone for me was worth the time and effort to install the 4 bolt cross member. You would think that with all the cross members these things have it would not help but it does. I have looked at the pictures of the frames and there are I think 8 cross members on the frame. That should be enough to keep the truck as rigid as could be. I was skeptical and went to a local u pull it junk yard and got the cross member off a GMC Envoy. It only cost me $8 and I bought new bolts at the hardware store which cost me about another $8. So I figured for the cheap cost I would try it. I was surprised to see it made a difference

·
Premium Member
3,847 Posts
Have to agree with Stlhotrod

Bumpy roads, railroad tracks, much smoother, less shakes, defiantly worth the time and effort.

Do this and you will see the difference, then add SE frame stiffener plate or LC32 Engine Crossmember Kit or both and you will see more.

Then go out a carve some corners.

Breakdown

TB Cross member brace 15% improvement
LC32 Engine Cross member 35% improvement
SE Frame Plate 50% improvement

Just my opinion, your mileage may vary.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Here's what I threw together for mine and it did seem to make a difference, overall.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts