Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if got a 14 bolt rear end out of SS trailblazer what would you have to do to make it work.

·
Premium Member
19,725 Posts
Unbolt yours and install . You can use your brake calipers and rotors . Just make sure u joint I the same . I would service reared . Then have computer programmed for 4.11 ratio. Oh and buy new tires lol

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unbolt yours and install . You can use your brake calipers and rotors . Just make sure u joint I the same . I would service reared . Then have computer programmed for 4.11 ratio. Oh and buy new tires lol
Are those 4:11 gears? i just thought they where 3.73 like the R

·
Daily Driver
8,941 Posts
Is the driveshaft the same as the SSR rear? I doubt it, but can't say for sure. :confused

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,072 Posts
You will need to cap off the axle speed sensors, just inboard of the backing plate on each side. The TBSS uses two speed sensors (one from each rear wheel) and the SSR uses the speed sensors in the transmission output section. No big deal....... Just create a couple blanking plates and seal them up.

The TBSS uses an Eaton Positraction unit with 4:11 gears. That's easy to deal with.

You will need to convert one of the yokes or the driveshaft or both...... the auto-trans SSR has small universal joints and the TBSS uses bigger ones. (So does the 6-speed) When I put the TBSS rear axle (big u-joint yoke) under my SSR, I installed a TBSS transmission output yoke (big u-joint also) and had a steel driveshaft built for it. It was pretty easy.

The brakes are the same, but I would go through both rear axles and take the best parts of both...... Pay attention to the parking brake system. It's not the most robust system and tends to wear out or give up without any use...... Poor design.

Regards,

Mike

·
Daily Driver
8,941 Posts
10 bolt all automatics.

14 bolt all standards

ALL rear axle on OEM SSR come with 3:73 gears.

Dicktator
Yes but I was questioning the interchangeability of driveshafts. Mike answered they are not the same U-joints, still not sure about the length, or whether changing the yoke on the back end will do it. I know they make bastard U-joints with two different size bearing caps, so that's an option if the driveshaft length is the same.

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
I was wondering if got a 14 bolt rear end out of SS trailblazer what would you have to do to make it work.
Sounds like it will be a fairly easy swap. I have some really good contacts if you find you need the driveshaft worked on. (Shortened, lengthened, joints, etc...)

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Yes but I was questioning the interchangeability of driveshafts. Mike answered they are not the same U-joints, still not sure about the length, or whether changing the yoke on the back end will do it. I know they make bastard U-joints with two different size bearing caps, so that's an option if the driveshaft length is the same.
In my experience the driveshaft length was the same when swapping into the TBSS or the SSR manual transmission 14 bolt rear end starting with a standard SSR automatic rear end. I did install a u-joint with two different size bearings caps. The special u-joint adapter cross matched up to the 14 bolt yoke and the other cross matched up with the stock driveshaft yoke. The 14 bolt rear end is a heavy weight and it will take lots of abuse. I ran this setup until I swapped over to the 4L80E transmission.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Speaking of the parking brake

... snip ... Pay attention to the parking brake system. It's not the most robust system and tends to wear out or give up without any use...... Poor design.
I put in a new park brake shoe on the driver side today. It seems like there should be something to keep it centered vertically but I can't find anything. It slides easily up and down about a quarter inch. Did I miss something?

·
Premium Member
2,886 Posts
Parking brake shoe is centered with the rotor. What your noticing sounds acceptable.
The actuator at the top and hold down spring at bottom keep the shoe snug against the backing plate and are designed for some movement vertically so that it will be self centering.
Couldn't find decent picture.
Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Yeah, I looked and looked for a good line drawing or photos of the assembly but came up empty. I thought my hub had been gone into prior and that some parts must be missing. But according to the assembly sheet that came with the shoes and the Maintenance Manual, which aren't that clear either, I guess I done it right. It works anyhow, for now. :)
Thanks for the guidance / confirmation.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts