Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I am looking for a way to convert the standard trailer hitch insert, which only accepts a ball, into a hitch with a square tube so it can accept accessories such as bike racks, luggage platforms, wheel chair mounts etc. I don't really care if it is a 1 1/4 tube or 2 inch tube. Weight of the item would be no more than a couple of hundred pounds. Ideally the modification would bolt into to the existing ball receiving hole. I am sure someone has done this.

Thanks

·
Registered
2006 Ricochet Silver B.O.D. 12/06/2005
93 Posts
Haul Master makes an ATV Hitch Adapter. With a slight modification to center on the SSR Hitch, this might be able to work. You can find the adapter on Amazon and eBay.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/ATV-Hitch-Adapter-Haul-Master/dp/B00NCCLMC8/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1525613257&sr=8-19&keywords=atv+hitches[/ame]

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Attached are pictures of a hitch modification for non-towing. The 2" adapter is a shortened one from Harbor Freight. The stud fits through the hole for the hitch ball shaft and is then secured with a lock washer and nut to the original SSR hitch. The threaded rods, welded to the 2" hitch adapter, pass through the hitch safety chain loops. There is a nut on both the top and bottom for the threaded rod so as to eliminate any flex. If I were to do it again, I'd have the threaded rod run over the top of the 2" adapter so as to increase the mechanical strength.

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. That looks great. I like the idea of going over the top of the square tube. I might be able to get a standard U-bolt like they have to hold the springs and axles on trailers. Even a regular U-bolt that is the right dimension to weld the threaded rods to the sides of the square tube would work. I will start by locating the square tube adaptor from Harbor freight and go from there. Love that place.

Thanks again

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very Clever and looks really robust. I am surprised Simple Engineering doesn't have one with so many non towing accessories available that require the square tube receptacle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts