Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My R came with a Hitch installed when I purchased. I have not been able to get the key to turn. I put WD-40 in cylinder from time to time.

Is their a secret to get the key to turn?

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,108 Posts
My R came with a Hitch installed when I purchased. I have not been able to get the key to turn. I put WD-40 in cylinder from time to time.

Is their a secret to get the key to turn?
The key should rotate only about 90 degrees. Are you saying that it does not rotate at all???? If that is the case, you may have a mismatched key.....

Mike

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes Mike it does not rotate at all. I didn't think about having different keys. It's one that was in R when I purchased

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,108 Posts
Yes Mike it does not rotate at all. I didn't think about having different keys. It's one that was in R when I purchased
Find an old school brick and mortar locksmith. He should be able to make a key that will open the lock. It takes a gas cap key blank...... I think an ILCO92.

Regards,

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes that's what my key looks like, with the red cap. I purchased from North Freeway Hyundai and they have a lot of Rs. Maybe it could have been accidentally switched if there's different keys. I just figured they were all the same key.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,496 Posts
Yes that's what my key looks like, with the red cap. I purchased from North Freeway Hyundai and they have a lot of Rs. Maybe it could have been accidentally switched if there's different keys. I just figured they were all the same key.
You might call North Freeway and tell them your problem. They could check their other hitches and keys and determine which don't match and y'all can do an exchange!

Nick

1 - 9 of 9 Posts