Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have your hitch with you but not in the receiver where do you carry it? I don't want to have a container sliding around in the bed, I had it behind my passenger seat and bent the key.
Ken

·
Registered
288 Posts
Me too, they are a must and you can find them on ebay most of the time for less than the dealer. :cool :cool

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
How often do you need the hitch when you are away from home? I just leave it there until it is needed. Besides that is where the trailer is at anyways! :lol

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
Trailer hitch

I will have to agree with the aboue posts, Remove it and put iy close to your trailer. Then it will always be there when you need it also your legs won,t be hitting it .Looks better without it :lol

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feed back. I forgot to say the reason for carrying it. I have trailers at home and at work, it always works out the hitch is at the wrong place. I agree it looks ugly in if it isn't in use. I just thought sombody had the same problem and had a neat solution. I was thinking about making a mount underneath . Since there is no spare there is plenty of room then it would aways be with the car and out of the way. I will keep working on it.
Ken

·
Registered
413 Posts
get a black milk crate and fasten it to floor with one of the thumscrews that came with truck they are great to hold smaler items that you transport

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
I have a small tool box that stays in my truck on long trips, it carries the hitch, extra bottles of water, Zaino spary, a small broom to clean the inside of truck, towels and an absorber. The tool box sits on a blanket with the net set up behind it so that it doesn't slide or scratch the bed trim.

·
Resident Rocket Scientist
11,997 Posts
At a glance it looks like you may be able to install the hitch reversed (pointed to the front). That would keep it with you and out of the way. I'm going to take a closer look tomorrow to see what it would take to do that..

·
I'm not cool...
2,096 Posts
storage box underneath?

a sealed storage box that mounted underneath next to the battery box that could be stowed and removed fairly easily for stuff you hate to leave behind but rarely use would be neat. any ideas?
:flag

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
hdflstf said:
At a glance it looks like you may be able to install the hitch reversed (pointed to the front). That would keep it with you and out of the way. I'm going to take a closer look tomorrow to see what it would take to do that..
I looked at that early on. The hitch is keyed so it won't spin when side loaded. Unfortunatly the keying only allows one placment, straight back.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
mikepowell said:
a sealed storage box that mounted underneath next to the battery box that could be stowed and removed fairly easily for stuff you hate to leave behind but rarely use would be neat. any ideas?
:flag
The lockbox under the bed idea is a great one.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Kendon Trailer

Hi Ken, I bought one of your new (tube style) bike trailers to tow the Harley to the shows. My question is the SSR is stock height and with the factory hitch, how does the ball height work with your trailer. From what I see it looks (ball) maybe high?
Thanks, Mofo

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes it is. I think it will work out to be 4" to high. I don't know if these hitches are made in any other drops.To tow properly the trailer needs to be level.
Ken

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
Any suggestions as I also have one of your older single trailers that I use to take my bike in for service or pick them up when they die along the highway.

Will the bike or trailer be damaged if I use it this way?

I can see one factory ball mount on the auction block real soon if it cant be used for the purpose intended.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts