Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I picked up my '05 three weeks ago it was supposed to come with the towing package but the hitch was no where to be found. After waiting three weeks for them to order one and and not getting it I stopped by on Friday and raised a stink so they "robbed" one out of an '06 in the showroom. (They gave me the soft side bags that were in the truck also but I don't think that was part of the '05 package)
Here's my question. This afternoon, when I tried to instal the hitch assembly into the receiver it wouldn't lock in. Upon inspecting the parts it looks like the groves on the hitch assembly are about 180 degrees off from the nibs that are up inside the receiver. If I could turn the hitch to match the receiver the hitch tongue would be facing the front of the truck. I don't see any way to rotate the insert up inside the receiver and the hitch assembly is all one pieces so there's no adjustment there.
Did GM change the hitch on the '06's or do I just have a manufacturing snafu??:confused :confused :confused

·
Premium Member
2,320 Posts
Hitch Install

make sure the keyed, rotating handle is fully unlocked and pulled out completely when turned. It will lock the latch untill inserted in receiver, then should catch and lock.
You must make sure to lock in with key.

·
OP
8,226 Posts
Ron said:
Here's my question. This afternoon, when I tried to instal the hitch assembly into the receiver it wouldn't lock in. Upon inspecting the parts it looks like the groves on the hitch assembly are about 180 degrees off from the nibs that are up inside the receiver. If I could turn the hitch to match the receiver the hitch tongue would be facing the front of the truck. I don't see any way to rotate the insert up inside the receiver and the hitch assembly is all one pieces so there's no adjustment there.
Did GM change the hitch on the '06's or do I just have a manufacturing snafu??:confused :confused :confused
The receiver should have two v-notches cut into it on either side left/right. The hitch insert should have two v-pins (that locate into the notches) on the the left/right sides. Slip the insert into the receiver and the knob should slighty turn upon locking into place, remove key and voila'!
All hitches are the same from '03-'06. Yours sounds as if it was welded incorrectly if I understand you correctly.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The V-notches on my hitch assembly are about 90 degrees apart at about 11:30 and 2:30 (slightly off of 12:00 and 3:00) and the bumps up in the receiver are also slightly off but they're at 5:30 and 8:30 (not quite 6:00 and 9:00)
I'm wondering if I grind matching notches in the hitch would it lock in properly? I'd hate to lose my motorcycle trailer (and my bike) on the interstate.:eek :eek :nodno :nodno

·
OP
8,226 Posts
replace

Ron said:
The V-notches on my hitch assembly are about 90 degrees apart at about 11:30 and 2:30 (slightly off of 12:00 and 3:00) and the bumps up in the receiver are also slightly off but they're at 5:30 and 8:30 (not quite 6:00 and 9:00)
I'm wondering if I grind matching notches in the hitch would it lock in properly? I'd hate to lose my motorcycle trailer (and my bike) on the interstate.:eek :eek :nodno :nodno

I advise having GM fix it, period.

·
Registered
590 Posts
:eek I would not grind the hitch to make it fit, there is something else going on why it won't fit, they did give you the keys with the hitch right?

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh yeah, I got three keys, two with plastic heads and one that will fit on a key ring. I've got the "insert key, turn counter-clockwise, pull and turn the knob" thing all figured out and everything goes great until I hear the "thud" when the hitch bottoms out on the pins up inside the receiver. If only the notches were in the right place, everything would be great.
Maybe I'll have the dealer yank the receiver from the '06 that the hitch kit came from (if they match up) and be done with it. :yesnod :yesnod :yesnod

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
wiring

I have 03, just bought a hitch from one of the fanatic, I just have the hitch but no wires, and I don't see anywhere where the 4 prongs(as read in other threads)exists for hook up... can anyone tell me why? How do I get wiring done?

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
549 Posts
If the notches will not let the hitch align, the fix would be a new rear crossmember with the receiver welded in the right orientation. I have never heard of this problem before.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If the notches will not let the hitch align, the fix would be a new rear crossmember with the receiver welded in the right orientation. I have never heard of this problem before.
UPDATE!!
I took the truck into the dealer, they compared it to an '06 and found that the receiver had been welded on backwards (180 degrees from where it should be) and they would have to order a new one and instal it.
I didn't feel like going thru the hassel and losing the truck for a day so I took a small angle grinder, cut the two slots in the ball where the would match the pins in the receiver and everything works perfectly. The hitch locks in securely just like it should. The ball was softer than I expected it to be and the whole "fix" took about 15 minutes.
I've used it several times to haul my motorcycle trailer and have had no problems.
:D :black:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts