Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed my wiring harness yesterday and I have to admit, with no trouble.

BUT, question of the day.................

You have to have at least 18" of of wire to hang out from under the car to reach the trailer plug, but what the heck did you do with all of the wire when you're not towing?

There's quite a bit or wire that runs from the left side connection, to the center of the car, to the trailer plug and other than just rolling it up and wire tieing it to a frame hole, I can't seem to think of any good way to store it.

Any ideas? :confused

·
Registered
110 Posts
Put the actual electrical receptacle up underneath, or close to where the hitch fits in, then make a plug extension about 18 inches long with another receptacle on the other end. Kind of like an extension cord. Simpley remove remove from vehicle when not towing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Had the same problem with mine. I bought a harness at Wal-Mart (of all places) made by Hoppy. It has a magnet that is integrated with the plug. It solved the storage dilemma. I just leave it stuck on the bottom of the hitch receiver!

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
[QUOTE='05 LS2 in NC]Had the same problem with mine. I bought a harness at Wal-Mart (of all places) made by Hoppy. It has a magnet that is integrated with the plug. It solved the storage dilemma. I just leave it stuck on the bottom of the hitch receiver![/QUOTE]

A MAGNET! Why didn't I think of that!

Thanks '05 LS2 in NC

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
[QUOTE='05 LS2 in NC]I've got an update on that part #.
Mag Flat Bracket #48085 made by Hoppy. They also have a website www.trailerwiring.com[/QUOTE]

Hey '02 LS2 in NC,

I didn't see anywhere that you could order one through them. Any ideas?

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks '05 LS2 in NC,

I'll go there tomorrow.

Hmmmmmmm A magnet, how simple! Now, why didn't I think of that?

·
Tu-Tone club member
5,777 Posts
Just different I guess...

When it was wired I choose a sandwich bag, folded the whole thing into it, sealed it, and used a plastic tie wrap to secure it to the upperside of the cross member. Wanted to keep the humidity away from the connector.

Peace

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Purple Penelope said:
When it was wired I choose a sandwich bag, folded the whole thing into it, sealed it, and used a plastic tie wrap to secure it to the upperside of the cross member. Wanted to keep the humidity away from the connector.

Peace
Penelope,

I just cut a spare end from the "trailer side" of an old wiring harness and plugged it into the "SSR end" and that seems to keep it dry too.

·
Tu-Tone club member
5,777 Posts
Buffy

just shows there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Peace

·
Registered
131 Posts
Buffy said:
Hey '02 LS2 in NC,

I didn't see anywhere that you could order one through them. Any ideas?
Another well thought out blunder on GM's part.
My invoice towing package was $235.00 and since when do manufactures not install wiring harness with the standard receptacle like whats on all SUV's? What is wrong with GM to cut every corner on this vehicle?? I went to hook up our little teardrop travel trailer and once again I have to go to the auto parts store and buy a trailer receptacle and finish what I thought I already paid for. I did find a nice 7 round with a 4 flat moulded into one piece. And got the changable 2" and 1 7/8" ball. Mounted the receptacle bracket on the short piece of angle thatr supports the battery bracket top the rear frame.
:banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
fiftiesnut said:
Another well thought out blunder on GM's part.
My invoice towing package was $235.00 and since when do manufactures not install wiring harness with the standard receptacle like whats on all SUV's? What is wrong with GM to cut every corner on this vehicle?? I went to hook up our little teardrop travel trailer and once again I have to go to the auto parts store and buy a trailer receptacle and finish what I thought I already paid for. I did find a nice 7 round with a 4 flat moulded into one piece. And got the changable 2" and 1 7/8" ball. Mounted the receptacle bracket on the short piece of angle thatr supports the battery bracket top the rear frame.
:banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead
Welcome to the Teardrop SSR Club. :)

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hey SSRJIM....is that teardrop trailer a real sleep in thing? When I first saw your photos, I thought it was a tailgaiting toy. Did you buy it or make it? What is the cost of one of those things, if you don't mind me asking?

:banghead

B

·
0 Posts
I have pulled my 21' bass boat behind mine several times. You shoud see the looks i get then. I had the dealership wire mine before I bought mine That way I was not out anything.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
living2be said:
Hey SSRJIM....is that teardrop trailer a real sleep in thing? When I first saw your photos, I thought it was a tailgaiting toy. Did you buy it or make it? What is the cost of one of those things, if you don't mind me asking?

:banghead
You can sleep in it and I have. If you want to see more of it go to www.ssrjim.com and click on photos. I built it and there are photos of the process. I think I'm into it for a little over 4 grand.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts