Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've seen some after market transmission oil coolers.

Our SSRs already have an OEM transmission oil cooler mounted in front of the radiator.

So, is an after market one needed?

If so, is it in place of or in addition to the OEM one?

If in place of, what makes the after market ones better than the OEM one?

If in addition to, are 2 tranny oil coolers overkill?

Thanks!

·
Registered
234 Posts
This is a good thread.
I'm looking forward to the solutions because it is obvious that there is a transmission temp problem for the automatics.
There is a new tranny pan out from TCI part number 378015, a plus 3.3 quart aluminum deep finned pan that will help but it is not the complete solution. This pan fits all years automatics. Don't forget the filter.

http://www.tciauto.com/components/transmission_pans.htm

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
By increasing the amount of fluid and running an aftermarket transmission cooler you will increase the life of the transmission. The biggest contributor to automatic transmission failure is heat and fluid breakdown. Below is a very clean solution to the transmission cooler mounting. You can mount it on the inside of the frame and it is all you would need. I would run the longest one you could fit in there, you could run a single pass or double pass. I would think that a 18" double pass would be perfect.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/5052...042803374QQcategoryZ33727QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Here is a nice aluminum deep transmission pan, just make sure to measure and make sure you have the clearance.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TRAN...042821724QQcategoryZ33727QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

·
Premium Member
2006 Aqua Blur 22578
1,436 Posts
Cooler

matjow said:
I've seen some after market transmission oil coolers.

Our SSRs already have an OEM transmission oil cooler mounted in front of the radiator.

So, is an after market one needed?

If so, is it in place of or in addition to the OEM one?

If in place of, what makes the after market ones better than the OEM one?

If in addition to, are 2 tranny oil coolers overkill?

Thanks!

I think you may be confusing the power steering cooler that is mounted in front of the radiator with the tranny cooler which is incorporated in the radiator itself.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
What do you think of this?

Okay, 6 Speed, or any body else.

What do you think of this?

I already have the 7 quart (2 quart extra) tranny pan.

And I'll add the 18" duel pass cooler.

Do you think that should do it with a supercharger and a Yank TT3000 torque converter?

Thanks!

Matt

·
Registered
234 Posts
Matt,
Let me know when you are starting this project. I am interested in doing the same. The tranny cooler does not come with lines. We will have to find a source for stainless braid lines with the correct length and fittings. Will the radiator tranny cooler be disconnected in order to move the heat out of the engine bay and hopefully make the radiator more effecient??

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nope.

The ad specifically says that it does not replace the OEM cooler. So, I guess it is in addition to the OEM cooler.

Do you know of a good tranny shop in Tampa. I need to have somebody install the torque converter. So, I might as well have them install the tranny cooler at the same time.

Matt

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
Matt & Wildcat69 - You could run 2 coolers, one on each side in series. One cooler will probably be great for any vehicle, I just tend to go for overkill on anything I do? You can have a muffler & brake shop run stainless tubing for the lines and then cut down the cost as opposed to stainless braided lines. You can mount them on the inside of the frame rails and you would never see it.

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
Most auxiliary coolers use the stock cooler and the the aux cooler in series. The fluid goes from the transmission to the radiator cooler then to the aux cooler and then back into the transmission. Like I stated above you could use 2 coolers in series and then not use the stock cooler in the radiator at all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts