Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
2003 Chevy SSR
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I did replace the linkage connection with the upgraded $18 bolt; and the linkage going into the tranny box is working fine, but it's stuck in Park. The indicators seem fine - the "TC off" light goes on when the shifter goes into first. There seems to be plenty of fluid on the dipstick (but I didn't check it with the engine on).

Ilsa should be shining after her new supercharger and headers, but here she is stuck in my garage with a possible sick tranny. ARRRRRGGGGHHH!!!!!

What say Y'all?

·
Ex SoCal Nut
9,931 Posts
confusing, eh...
Stuck in Park
TC "On" means it's Off
Shifter goes into First..umm how if it's stuck in park

If the shifter moves, does the truck move ? at all ?

is it just visual or mechanical

·
Premium Member
2003 Chevy SSR
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The shifter moves and slots into the correct spots for the gears, but the engine does not alter at all. Under the truck, the gear lever going into the tranny moves just like it should. When I move the shifter to N, she won't even move with a push (by somebody else of course). She's stuck in Park even though the shifter linkage is moving fine.

Dave

confusing, eh...
Stuck in Park
TC "On" means it's Off
Shifter goes into First..umm how if it's stuck in park

If the shifter moves, does the truck move ? at all ?

is it just visual or mechanical

·
Registered
275 Posts
It the car sitting level when you are trying to shift it! Sounds like the park pin in the transmission is frozen or hung up. You might try taking some of the pressure off the trans with a slight push from the rear. and see if it moves then?

·
HobbyBob
641 Posts
Can you release the shifter by pushing the button on the shifter assembly in the console?If so, check the fuse box under the hood for the solenoid fuse {15 amp ] I think. Look ay your fuse box top for location.Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 Pac Blue 6spd
1,012 Posts
Yes, I did replace the linkage connection with the upgraded $18 bolt; and the linkage going into the tranny box is working fine, but it's stuck in Park. The indicators seem fine - the "TC off" light goes on when the shifter goes into first. There seems to be plenty of fluid on the dipstick (but I didn't check it with the engine on).

Ilsa should be shining after her new supercharger and headers, but here she is stuck in my garage with a possible sick tranny. ARRRRRGGGGHHH!!!!!

What say Y'all?
Call @Greg Ducato at Phoenix Transmissions
Super nice and knows his stuff. Alternatively PM him.
-Robert
:silver:

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
The shifter moves and slots into the correct spots for the gears, but the engine does not alter at all.

Dave
When you mention the engine did not alter, does this mean the engine revs up but car doesn't move or engine won't rev?

Another thought if engine does rev, is to check if shifter arm at trans is still properly seated on transmission shaft. The nut might be loose and arm ready to fall off and it's moving but shaft is not. Although not sure if this happened if display on dash would still move. Easy enough to check though.

EDIT --- After further research I DO NOT believe the nut would be loose
See my additional posts

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,066 Posts
My advice is if it worked fine before you started all the work you did it has to be something you did or didn't do. So I would re-check all your work and make sure everything is correct before moving on to new problems or new fixes or new parts. Again if it worked before you worked on it then it is probably somewhere in what you did. Just my 2 cents and we all know what that is worth. Good luck.

·
Ex SoCal Nut
9,931 Posts
Can you release the shifter by pushing the button on the shifter assembly in the console?If so, check the fuse box under the hood for the solenoid fuse {15 amp ] I think. Look ay your fuse box top for location.Good luck.

Good call Bob. Quick to check and may be the simple solution

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,393 Posts
Good call Bob. Quick to check and may be the simple solution
See Post #9????? Also, as Autoprof said,Loose nut sounds probable

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
TC off light

The indicators seem fine - the "TC off" light goes on when the shifter goes into first.
What say Y'all?
By the way the "TC Off" light coming on while in 1st is normal.
From service manual

TRACTION OFF The Traction Off indicator located within the IPC illuminates when a class 2 message is received from the EBCM. The EBCM illuminates the Traction Off indicator, if any of the following conditions are present.
* The EBCM inhibits the TCS.
* The driver manually disables the TCS by pressing the traction control switch.
* The automatic transmission shift lever is in the low (1) position

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,066 Posts
By the way the "TC Off" light coming on while in 1st is normal.
From service manual

TRACTION OFF The Traction Off indicator located within the IPC illuminates when a class 2 message is received from the EBCM. The EBCM illuminates the Traction Off indicator, if any of the following conditions are present.
* The EBCM inhibits the TCS.
* The driver manually disables the TCS by pressing the traction control switch.
* The automatic transmission shift lever is in the low (1) position
The traction off light also comes on when you are doing warp speed top end. Don't ask me how I know.

Reactions: Autoprof

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
Another thought if engine does rev, is to check if shifter arm at trans is still properly seated on transmission shaft. The nut might be loose and arm ready to fall off and it's moving but shaft is not. Although not sure if this happened if display on dash would still move. Easy enough to check though.

EDIT --- After further research I DO NOT believe the nut would be loose
See my additional posts
I did some more research -- Because the indicator on the dash is functioning. He mentioned indicator was functioning and traction control off light coming on when in fist (normal if EBCM sees first gear was selected from transmission range sensor) the manual shaft on the transmission must be rotating with the movement of the shifter. see pic 1

I would check fluid level with engine with engine running just to rule out something simple and it is not really in park - just too heavy to push!.

Are you positive it is stuck in park?
Have you ever had any transmission work done?

How this works:

The shaft on the outside of the transmission connects to a detent lever inside the transmission. (pic 2 #88, pic 3 #1)
This lever then moves two different pieces -- the link (pic 2 #89 and pic 3 #3) that connects to the manual control valve (pic 3 #2) in the valve body. When this valve moves pressurized fluid is directed to various clutches and bands though the valve body.
The lever also connects to the park actuator rod (pic 2 #85) which locks the transmission in park.
This lever is held onto the shaft with a nut (pic 2 #90)

If this nut came loose and the lever inside the transmission is not moving, then it could cause your symptoms ---- you would have to remove transmission pan to verify -- not sure how or why this would happen OR even if this is what DID happen. Maybe if you had work done the nut was not tightened properly?

-- These are just my thoughts and I will admit that auto trans repair is one of my weak areas. I would probably ask one of my fellow faculty members that teach auto trans (or Greg Ducato) before pulling the transmission pan. I would also check to see if shaft on outside of transmission seemed like it want to pull out out of transmission by pulling outward on shift cable lever - this might confirm my suspicion -- again ask someone else?

Attachments

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,066 Posts
My advice is if it worked fine before you started all the work you did it has to be something you did or didn't do. So I would re-check all your work and make sure everything is correct before moving on to new problems or new fixes or new parts. Again if it worked before you worked on it then it is probably somewhere in what you did. Just my 2 cents and we all know what that is worth. Good luck.
I think we are getting way off course here. He said he just put new headers and new super charger on and if the tranny worked fine before that I would go back to what I just did and now it doesn't work. Maybe I am missing something here.

Reactions: BlueStreak

·
Ex SoCal Nut
9,931 Posts
Strongly suggest you test Fuse # 19, under hood, key ON.

Thanks to Autoprof for the Fuse Box Chart. It helped cure 3Yello who had the same problem. We also found a clicking at the key area in the column when pushing the shift solenoid and changing gears. That told us it was an electrical problem and not mechanical. Reverse voltage feedback? Changing the fuse resolved the shifter being stuck.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts