Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is causing my trans guage to stick after it runs a while. it will stick at 100 degrees. Replaced the guages. check the wiring. The trans temp sensor shows 200 when the guage is reading 100. If i restart the vehicle it may or may not work. it always starts working again. thanks

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
bmfz06: I have posted on tis earlier.

The problem is likely not the gauge, as I have had mine replaced and it does exactly the same thing as the one it replaced.

The problem is LIKELY the transmission temperature sensor sending its signal to the PCM only sporadically. I have asked GM about this but no resposne to-date.

By the way, the reading is often not there upon startup of the vehicle, but sometimes miraculously appears after a few minutes.

Since the temperature sensor is buried inside the tranmission instead of in the transmission fluid pan where it should be, replacing it under warranty will cost GM a lot. Maybe this is why they are not keen to investigate?

Jim G

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how can it be the sensor when i check the sensor and the pcm sees the the fluid temp at 201 degrees and the guage is 100?

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
If you actually ARE getting a reading via a diagnostic tool from the PCM, there are TWO possibilities:

1. The PCM is reporting the last value it received (it has not been updated), IF that is the way the programming was done (might or might not have been)

or

2. GM has an INCREDIBLY bad string of faulty gauge sets (I am on my 3rd. All 3 of them have exhibited this problem, although the 1st one was replaced because the entire set died). COULD be the case, but you'd think someone would notice . . .

You tempt me to learn how to use the diagnostic mode of my EFILive software to see what readings I get if I drive the SSR when the gauge shows no reading, and deliberately provoke the tranny to get hotter by accelerating hard a couple of few times, and seeing if the PCM gets a higher signal or not.

Jim G

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Mine also does this. I have reported it to GM technical asst and they tell my that thay know about it and that there is no repair at this time. when and if a repair becomes available they will send out a bulletin to the dealers and I will post it right away. :seeya

·
Registered
96 Posts
bmfzo6 said:
what is causing my trans guage to stick after it runs a while. it will stick at 100 degrees. Replaced the guages. check the wiring. The trans temp sensor shows 200 when the guage is reading 100. If i restart the vehicle it may or may not work. it always starts working again. thanks
Thats so it matches the voltmeter that is stuck at 16 volts

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
The voltmeter only APPEARS to be "stuck". The 16 volts is real.

I know this ebcasue my own voltmeter also showed 16 volts virtually all the time. However, after I got the underdrive pulley on there, it now shows only 13 volts at idle, 14 or 15 volts if you manually increasee the idle rate via gas pedal, and 16 volts once the vehicle is moving

Jim G

·
Registered
164 Posts
Trans Gauge...

Have had the same problem, it seems to work OK and then I notice that if I have stopped the vehicle, on subsequent starts, the gauge goes through it's diagnostics OK and then goes to the far left and stays there... sometimes it will come back alive after at least more than 30-40 minutes of driving... I don't have the patience to just watch it to see just how long it takes. Sometimes, when starting the vehicle, it takes about 4-5 minutes for the gauge to register anything. I've got a few other issues, so will be taking this back to the dealer within a week or so. :mad

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Those returning to the dealer with this problem, take this thread in with you! Hopefully, if enough dealers get this to GM, they may work faster to solve it! :)

Jim G

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
trans guage operation

Okay here is the deal. Straight from the ssr electrical engineer named Mattews,{head of the ssr electrical platform}. His answer to the sticking guage problem is there is not a problem. It is working as designed. What happens is the trans sensor sends the temp to the pcm. From the pcm it will send the info to the trans guage. The software in the pcm determines when to update the guage reading. The way the software is setup is to send trans info upon temperature change of the transmission. So when you drive the vehicle and it gets to normal temp and shut it off then get back in and start it back up the pcm will not update the guage temp because it has not seen a change in temperature. So the guage which is its own module uses logic and decides to set the guage at the last known signal which is default of 100 degrees. So it may take up to 45 min for the pcm to update the guage info. Now I was told if you pause a moment before you start the vehicle, turn the key to run and wait like you would for a diesel then start the ssr the guage should read the current temperature. This is as good as it gets until new software is available.

·
Original SSR Centerfold
3,146 Posts
That sounds like an awful dumb way to do things. If the update cycle is too long you could burn things up before it even registers.
Something just don't sound right.

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
bmfz06: I would really, really like to believe "Mattews", but I have noticed that after a re-start, even if I accelerate very hard (e..g freeway on-ramp after a gas stop), the gauge often does not give me a reading.

Mattew can't convince me that shutting down the engine for 10 minutes while I filled the fuel tank and then visited the rest room, and then re-starting and accelerating hard to 70 mph did not change the fluid temperature. I know it did.

There is more to this story, I suspect.

Jim G

1 - 12 of 12 Posts