Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out to start the SSR this morning. Fired right up. Shifted into drive, trans said it was in neutral (and it was). Shifted into park. Won't shift out of park. Dash says it's still in neutral.

Is this the ignition switch? Or the shift lock release? Or something more dire?

Also, truck is in underground condo garage. Can't push it out, I don't think. How's a tow truck going to get it out?

·
Premium Member
6,122 Posts
It sounds like it may be a broken shifter cable, if you can get underneath it where it is located, you can use one of Dicktators shifter cable repair kits.

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,183 Posts
If that is what it is, a broken cable, I can get a kit out to you right away.

You can tie the cable back with tie wraps until you get my kit.

Oh, it's $5.00 plus $2.00 to mail, include picture instructions. Bet your Dealer won't fix it for that price.

Dicktator

1. This is what holds your shift cable onto the transmission shift arm.
2. This is the repair kit, won't fall apart again.

Attachments

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
27,959 Posts
Call AAA or other tow and tell them the details of where it is parked. You would be surprised at how some of those tow trucks can manuver. The ones with the under carriage tire grabbers fit in low overhead garages. FWIW that will get it to where you can check it out safely. I would get Dicktators kit anyway since this problem seems to be one of those "when, not if, it happens" things.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
27,959 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
True

Kind of expensive for a might "need it" if you don't have a Project car and the wait time for ordering is a bit much as well.
that is true, but still a good idea. I think most of the tow companies have these dollies. I would call around until I found one that did.

·
Premium Member
8,293 Posts
If you have a Harbor Freight near by they have them. I bought 4 for under $50.00 total with the 20% coupon you can get on line or out of any of their sales papers. They come in handy for moving cars arround in the shop.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Turned out to be the shifter cable. Dealer says 70 in parts and two hours labor at 104 per. Transmission fluid drain and replace, another 300. Rear differential service 150. By the time they fix the roof fault, over a grand. Love my R, but dang!

Tow driver did have under carriage tire grabbers. Even with his emergency lights folded down, he had less than 2 inches between his truck and the gate into the garage. Fortunately, trans was in neutral, so we could push it out of the parking place.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
27,959 Posts
Turned out to be the shifter cable. Dealer says 70 in parts and two hours labor at 104 per. Transmission fluid drain and replace, another 300. Rear differential service 150. By the time they fix the roof fault, over a grand. Love my R, but dang!

Tow driver did have under carriage tire grabbers. Even with his emergency lights folded down, he had less than 2 inches between his truck and the gate into the garage. Fortunately, trans was in neutral, so we could push it out of the parking place.
$7 for Dicktator's fix is cheap insurance for next time. Remember, they are putting in another of the same part that failed.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
There was an article in USA Today ,today about GM vehicles with this problem but it did not mention the SSR. It mentioned the 04 Malibu.Could this be the same assembly

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,183 Posts
The cable assemble we have in our SSR is the same in MANY GM vehicles. Trail Blazer of course, is one.

I have a Transmission Shop on the East Coast of Florida buying my Shift Cable Kit 5 at a time. They said "Best Fix they have seen".

Dicktator

1. This is how the OEM cable is held on.
2. Shift Arm and pin/neoprene that holds your cable on.
3. Remove Arm/Grind off rivet head/punch out rivet
4. Replace with shift cable kit.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts