Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Anyone know if a TransGo shift kit is a good investment for a 2003-2004 4L60E automatic ?

For what Ive read it eliminates the stock smooth drawn out shift between gears for smoother ride and gives you a quicker snap between gears .

Or is the SSr`s 4L60E already built up that it dosnt need it ?

Thanks,
Pretzel~

G

·
I have the Predator too. My '03 lifts the front end and slams you back in the seat hard on shifting, and I'm not on maximum firmness - but I've heavily modified other stuff as well. I'm not sure shift kits are valid anymore, you can get the same thing plus other benefits from microtuners.

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,101 Posts
The new generation transmissions do NOT require shift kits. You alter them MUCH more effectively, and with far greater control and changeability, via the computer.

Installing a physical shift kit can cause damage because the kit make changes that the computer is unaware of.

Do NOT use a physical shift kit on an electornically controlled transmission like in our SSRs!!

Jim G

·
Registered
232 Posts
As someone who has done both on the 4L60E, let me give you my opinion. A Microtuner is helpful (I have a Predator and have also used LS1 Edit software) but the Trans Go shift kit is the way to go. The only advantage to doing it with the tuner is that you can remove or alter it at will (Not to mention not having to get dirty). Not so with the shift kit unless you buy another valve body separator plate. You drill 2 holes larger in it during the install.

On the other hand, the shift quality is better than the tuner's best. More importantly you also remove the annoying "lag" when shifting into drive or reverse. You also get better control when manually downshifting. If you really want the best shift quality, go with the shift kit.

All that having been said, you will probably want both. Use the tuner for the engine and the shift kit for the tranny.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts