Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:eek I need help & guidance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The 3rd gear (auto) quit working while I was traveling home today. The engine would rev up to 5000 rpm but would not engage. I drop down to 50 mph and manually shifted into 2 and that gear would engage. I pulled into the nearest Chevy dealer and they hooked up the code unit but not error showed. We drove around the block and in D the transmission would shift from 1st to 2nd. The Dealer has it now. So let the guessing begin.:banghead :leaving I guess it is time to invest in GM extended warranty! :rolleyes:

·
OP
8,226 Posts
ignition

probably the ignition switch.
do a search on it.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
OP said:
probably the ignition switch.
do a search on it.
It's not the ignition switch. If the switch was the problem you would have third gear only. it sound like the input housing might be cracked as i have seen this enough on the 4L60 trans, it's and easy fix even though the trans has to come out. There are some other possible causes but the input housing is what I see the most of.

·
Premium Member
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took it to Vandergriff in Arlington. I was just 2 miles away when the problem occurred. Checked the trans fluid and it was clean, un burnt, and no bubbles. Only third gear is out. Thanks for the input. Any good deals on extended warranties?

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
I had a blown fuse once and it only let my truck run in 1st and 2nd.

·
Premium Member
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK 1) Input housing crack or 2) Blown fuse. What would cause these two to break or blow?

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
ssr3 said:
OK 1) Input housing crack or 2) Blown fuse. What would cause these two to break or blow?

In my case it was a faulty stereo installation done by an outside shop. What is interesting about this is the the fuse that blew had NOTHING to do with the transmission or engine or anything like that.....so I thought.

·
Premium Member
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
UPDATE: Fresh from the Service manager - 3 & 4 gear are gone. Where to or why is a mystery???? The transmission is out and investigation into exactly what & why will follow upon inspection. Best guess of return is late Friday.

·
Premium Member
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No. I am pretty atuned to noises and weird things from driving my '73 VW. The VW gives you early warning noises and things before something happens. This happen all at once. I checked with Vandergriff Chevy on the way home to find the root cause. But the tranny guy had already left. The service manager showed the parts that were requested. 3 rd & 4 th gear, seals, gaskets, etc. were on the list. A basic transmission rebuild. I call tomorrow and talk directly with their tranny guy and post an update.

·
Premium Member
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's the update: 3 & 4 gear replaced and tranny back in the truck. They found a bad left front wheel bearing - being replaced. And funny clicking sound that would go away when the brakes were applied - loose right rear brake caliper. I still don't know why 3 & 4 gear went out. I'll get the SSR back tomorrow (???)and will quiz the tranny tech.

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
Bob, you bought yours used? Right? Was there any maintence done on this area before? Also don't you have different size wheels ? Could that have anything to do with this!? Hope you make it out Sat.!

·
Premium Member
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes I bought it used with 8,000 miles. And yes I have 20 inch front & rear, but tires in the front are the same overall height & width as the originals. The rears are the original tires. The dealer and tire guy said that the different front rims had no effect on the bearing. Sometimes your get a out-of-spec part.

·
Premium Member
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:willy: IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes: Got the SSR back this afternoon. Tranny is completed function. Service guy said they completed rebuilt the transmission, but could not pin point a root cause. 3rd gear went first, then 4 . Second & first were on their way south. :eek Tech said it looked like third gear just failed all at once and then caused the rest of damage. They replaced fluid pump also. In addition front left wheel bear began to fail which look like not enough bearing grease. But every thing is working fine after 12 miles.:skep

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
Good to know it is all fixed, and lucky you were close to the dealership when it happened!!! Can you feel any difference in shifting!!!?

·
Premium Member
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No, not really. But it may show up after I drive it a little more. Maybe a change in gas mileage.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts