·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
269 Posts
Cool

That would be a very "cool" way to mount under body instead of in front of radiator.

Enjoyed our conversation this evening.

Scott

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Joe: How well does it work?

If it works well, this would really save us a lot of re-location in the that tight front end as we work to install the heat exchanger for the supercharger.

I wonder if any place in Austin stocks them?

Jim G

·
Registered
192 Posts
Looks like an interesting setup.

I installed my own oil cooler in the nose of my Vette and found that getting the cooler was only the beginning of the battle. For me, it was much harder figuring out what size fittings to use (thread pitch, size, etc), what size lines, what length lines, mounting hardware for the cooler, then finding a place to get all that stuff. Installation wasn't too bad, but making up the aeroquip lines to the fittings was time consuming for me as I'd never done that before.

For an experienced mechanic, these issues might not be a big deal, but for the Sunday mechanic with limited time and knowledge, I believe most would just rather buy a kit that comes complete with all the required stuff. The Vette parts suppliers have done this and now you can buy cooler kits with all the necessary stuff from many Vette aftermarket companies such as DRM, LGM, etc.

For the vendors out there, this looks like a product that many might be interested. I'd bet the first guy that puts a kit together will sell many of them...

·
Registered
234 Posts
Would you run one of these coolers instead of the radiator front mount or in addition to it?

·
Registered
893 Posts
Street rod cooling....

Wildcat69 said:
Would you run one of these coolers instead of the radiator front mount or in addition to it?
In street rods we always took the cooling of the transmission away for the radiator........ By doing both separately it improved the function of each.......Less heat into the radiator...... and better cooling for the transmission cooler.......we always used B&M........but there alot on the market today even some with their own fan system..... Separate is better.....:seeya

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Yes I separated mine too.

I didn't want the transmission fluid going into a radiator that is DESIGNED to be at 210 degrees most of the time, as that is FAR above where I would want the tarnny fluid temperature to be (about 160 to 170 degrees).

Jim G

·
Registered
234 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
not cool

Be careful guys when separating trans cooler from radiator. This can cause low temp condition resulting in high condensation in the tranny.You need heat to evaporate this condensation in a street machine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts