Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live on a hill so when i leave my house no matter which way I go I am going down hill. I pull out of my garage in 2nd gear and leave it there until I get to the bottom of the hill, that is about 1/2 mile. Because of my weight challenged honey(my truck not my wife) I am wondering if I am asking for premature wear problems or something I am not even thinking. Anyone know?
I remember once I bought a new vehicle and it said in the owners Manuel to do this on steep descents

·
Registered
10 Posts
Transmissions

HI I have a transmission shop that repairs all types of transmissions and we see fewer GM products than anything else. What you are doing with your transmission (ie using second or low gear for engine braking on hills) is what the manual controls of your transmission are there for. I wouldn't suggest going on a long drive using only the lower gears but for engine braking on hills it should cause no problems.
I have an 04 which is my daily driver and i live in a country that ahs winter for 1/3 of the year.

GT SSR :ssr

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GT SSR said:
HI I have a transmission shop that repairs all types of transmissions and we see fewer GM products than anything else. What you are doing with your transmission (ie using second or low gear for engine braking on hills) is what the manual controls of your transmission are there for. I wouldn't suggest going on a long drive using only the lower gears but for engine braking on hills it should cause no problems.
I have an 04 which is my daily driver and i live in a country that ahs winter for 1/3 of the year.

GT SSR :ssr
Thanks

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,742 Posts
Ken,

Living (and loving) in a North Georgia mountain community, I too use 3rd and 2nd gear to get to the gate. (I would go through a set of brakes every month without doing that!) Once at the gate, I use Drive. I do watch the tach to make sure I'm not abusing the engine, but so far no problems.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Buffy said:
Ken,

Living (and loving) in a North Georgia mountain community, I too use 3rd and 2nd gear to get to the gate. (I would go through a set of brakes every month without doing that!) Once at the gate, I use Drive. I do watch the tach to make sure I'm not abusing the engine, but so far no problems.
Thanks, It's one of those things that you never know, last years model it was o..k. but don't do it this year because we changed the configuration of the muffler :reddevil bearing!!
No pony express, must of had a flat.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I live on a hill and it is a 1/2 mile to the first stop sign from the house.
Use 2nd gear to stay off brakes until stop sign.
I noticed that it drags the engine rpms below the 500 rpm idle...if I don't shift into drive before braking for the stop sign.
Just thought I'd pass that on.

Skip

1 - 7 of 7 Posts