Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To those of you who have made the trips outside of your of your state. If you have the side saddle storage bins. Can you put any suit case in ther with both bins in at the same time. Or do you have to at least take one out.

Another question did any of the folks that have done any type of traveling so far, waxed the truck before you left. And what did you do to keep it clean?

I will traveling to Chicago from DC on the night of the 18th of Aug or we might leave the morning of the 19th. We will be traveling thru PA, Ohio and Indiana before we get to Illnios. I hope to see some of you out on the road.

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
Travelin' Clean

Don't have the saddlebags - suitcases, etc. fit just fine in the back - but pretty cramped to spread out two people in the front. No room for all the maps, drinks, cell phones, etc. Just got to clean out the center console first.

I make sure I have a really good cover of Zaino on the body and then use the coin operated car wash sprayers just to wet down the truck. I carry a bucket with a sponge, a big soft towel and a spray bottle of Zaino Optical Enhancer and the Zaino Car wash. Doesn't take to long to wash, chamois and buff up the truck and it looks good as new. If you start with a good layer of Zaino - the bugs just kind of fall right off. You can carry all the stuff in a bucket.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
houtex,

So what you are telling me is that I am going to have to take out both bins. I understand what you mean about cabin room. we have taken short trips and with my girlfreinds bag and drinks and CD's and cell phone on charger it does get tight.

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
I have a small tool chest that I put the hitch in and other big items and extra stuff in it as well, plus the bucket, towels, glass cleaner etc.....I bought the Nomad at Houtex' suggestion and that saved room from all the CD's I would have had to take. I also bought a smaller road map that fit down between the seats. I didn't put the saddle bags back in but did use the net to keep everything from sliding and it worked great. My purse fits behind the seat just fine too, so I only kept my cell phone and lipstick out in the console. And only drinks with screw on lids! :) have a great trip!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Trveling

My wife and I just returned from a 2 week, 3600 mile trip in our 2004 UV SSR. I had to removed 1 saddlebag for the luggage to fit. Very good trip. Heavy rain in Fl. No water leaked into the bed .We averaged 19 mpg. I have taken the same trip on a Harley Ultra Glide, pulling a trailer, so this was wonderful. Weather permited running with the top down, all but about 5hrs. We left from Central Illinois, to North Myrtle Beach, Beaufort,SC , Daytona Beach, West Palm Beach, Key West, Orlando, Gadsden, AL. , Nashville, TN. ,back to Illinois. Only saw 1 SSR on the road. A Silver one in SunSet Beach, NC.

Ed UV9329

·
Registered
168 Posts
Our Road Trip

Brown,

I agree with hou on most points. I had the Zaino you mix with water and put in a spray bottle (Z6?) and a large towel. Stopped at car washes, but only used the "Rince" setting to knock off the bugs and dirt (we were in dry, dusty NM). This stuff didn't take much valuable storage space.

I have installed a head unit with alphabet monitor, so I saved a lot of cabin space. No paper maps (which would have been hard to handle with the top down), since I used the GPS. Not many discs since I used the MP3 player. I can record 9 or 10 albums (you can tell I am old school) on an MP3 disc, so my sun visor disc holder provided enough tunes to never repeat in 3000 miles (also had a few DVDs...but never took my eye off the road - they were for passenger viewing).

I don't have the saddle bags, so I can't help there. We filled the back part of the bed with luggage and had the forward third available for purchases (yes, we had to stop at the galleries and jewelry shops).

I hope you see other SSRs on the road, too, but we never did.

I was surprised at the flexibility of the passenger's seat for long trips. My lady is small enough that she could scoot it forward and get quite a bit of recline. There was more room behind it than I expected, too (still, not a lot).

Have a good trip!

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for your info. We are going to try to keep at least one bag in the back for storage. I already know most of the route we are going, so I don't need any maps. I found out that my girlfriend's brother will allow us to was the car at his house in the suburbs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts