Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find myself in need of some guidance.

Late last summer I had problem with my ‘06 manual transmission, it felt like the clutch was going out, read a bunch on the forum and found the hydraulic clutch was dry, filled and flushed it, it felt normal, but no reverse. I pulled the tranny out first part of June. The clutch looked good to me- new, there was a lot of rotational play in the flywheel (truck has 90K on it, 30K by me) I took the transmission to D & D Performance in Wixom MI. Apparently it ate its reverse gear shifter block and sent it though the whole transmission. I was told it’s not rebuildable. Don Junior said there are several parts that are impossible to find that are unique to the SSR. He is working with Tremec to figure out how to install a new Tremec Magnum F trans ($$$). There seems to be spacing issues fitting it in. He thinks it’s possible with a custom adapter plate ($). I called Cleveland Power Performance they don’t have a used transmission.

My question is: Am I missing overlooking something.

I’m on the site nearly daily, don’t post hardly at all, usually what I would say has been covered. But this site is part of the permagrin for me!
I haven’t drove the truck in months, I need to turn my frown up side down!!!

DNA- doug

·
Premium Member
2,207 Posts
:rolleyes:
I'd be looking to get some advice from Top Spin. He seems to be the "go to" guy for info on the six speed. I'd hold off on getting your shop to do anything till you get some more info here.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
There are several specialized Tremec rebuilders around the country. Tick Performance in North Carolina, Modern Driveline in Caldwell, Idaho, and Texas Driveline Performance (TDP) in Hurst, Texas, are the ones I called when I had issues with my T56 last year. Any of these should be able to give you good guidance over the phone, with what you already know, on how to proceed. I find it hard to believe your tranny is not rebuildable.
I can’t speak for the others, but TDP has/had a large stock of new and used T56 parts, including cases and tail shaft housings, and they rebuild some internals in-house as necessary.
I ended up strapping mine to a pallet and shipping it to Texas for repair. I upgraded the clutch while the tranny was out. Several thousand miles later, I’m very happy with both clutch and tranny.

·
Premium Member
1,772 Posts
You might contact Lonnie in Plant City. He is fantastic, he repaired the damage done to my LS7 clutch by Largo Chevrolet.

·
Premium Member
2006 Redline FPR 6 Speed
1,010 Posts
Dave, thanks for catching this. Took the wrong # from the invoice, 336-719-0599 is correct# as you state. Bill

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,392 Posts
@dna, Sooo----since it's been over 1month,any news on your problem?!?

Nick

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
@dna, Sooo----since it's been over 1month,any news on your problem?!?

Nick
Good Question. I spoke with TICK this afternoon and they are a place that specializes in rebuilding Tremec tranny's. They build & sell performance parts too. But you have to hand them or ship your trans to them. They don't do general repair work . I was calling them with a tech question and also asking what it would cost to install my LS7 clutch. They don't do clutch installs either. I guess I'll check with my local to see if I can rent his lift for the day when I'm ready. Dj

·
Premium Member
2,207 Posts
Good Question. I spoke with TICK this afternoon and they are a place that specializes in rebuilding Tremec tranny's. They build & sell performance parts too. But you have to hand them or ship your trans to them. They don't do general repair work . I was calling them with a tech question and also asking what it would cost to install my LS7 clutch. They don't do clutch installs either. I guess I'll check with my local to see if I can rent his lift for the day when I'm ready. Dj
:rolleyes:

While a lot of or (most) Chevy dealers are not all that (up to speed) on SSRs, they do indeed work on a lot of Vettes.

When it comes to converting to a LS7 clutch setup, the car/truck in on a hoist and they are underneath it. Shouldn't be a "big deal" for many techs in a larger Chevy dealership to handle that conversion.

Mine was converted before I bought it and the prior owner had it done at a Chevy Garage. Of course if you are set on doing in yourself.............go for it.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nick thanks for asking, I talked to Don Jr about a week ago, he is having a “spacer plate” made and it’s slow going in the machine shops with the COVID slow down.
Kind of feel my back against the wall... I will have them install new trans, can’t imagine trying to figure this out laying on the ground.
I hope to drive it this summer... I will post the progress.

dna

·
Premium Member
2,623 Posts
Nick thanks for asking, I talked to Don Jr about a week ago, he is having a “spacer plate” made and it’s slow going in the machine shops with the COVID slow down.
Kind of feel my back against the wall... I will have them install new trans, can’t imagine trying to figure this out laying on the ground.
I hope to drive it this summer... I will post the progress.

dna
If you're really getting bogged down with the spacer, I can most likely get it made for you in a reasonable time period. I'm just 20 minutes away from Walsh's shop. I'm assuming that you're going with the 2.97 1st gear version?

Reactions: nj6969

·
Premium Member
2005 Chevrolet SSR manual transmission
442 Posts
Just out of curiosity what is the spacer for & why is it required?

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
:unsure:
I imagine the answer(s) to your question can be found here.........

No, I have been all through Tremec's web site & see no mention of a spacer as regards an LS application. They seem to indicate many of their transmissions will back fit many GM applications though I saw nothing specific to the SSR. However the Magnum is obviously designed with vehicles such as my Camaro in mind & unless I am missing something I don't see a recommendation for a spacer on the page I pulled up from your link. If I am not mistaken the T56 found in our SSRs was produced especially for that vehicle & perhaps that is the rub. Is our bellhousing shorter or something like that? I know all of their gearboxes come without bellhousing.

·
Super Moderator
13,943 Posts
Just a curiosity thing
5 to 6 is straight down with other owners I have spoken with
Mine is down and to the right - makes it difficult some times when not paying total attention, the 6,5,4 can get a bit convoluted.
At times I find myself in gears unintended.

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Just a curiosity thing
5 to 6 is straight down with other owners I have spoken with
Mine is down and to the right - makes it difficult some times when not paying total attention, the 6,5,4 can get a bit convoluted.
At times I find myself in gears unintended.
Is this on a replacement trans or the original? Should match the pattern on the knob should it not, or are Canadian trucks different. Where does R reside?

·
Premium Member
2,207 Posts
No, I have been all through Tremec's web site & see no mention of a spacer as regards an LS application. They seem to indicate many of their transmissions will back fit many GM applications though I saw nothing specific to the SSR. However the Magnum is obviously designed with vehicles such as my Camaro in mind & unless I am missing something I don't see a recommendation for a spacer on the page I pulled up from your link. If I am not mistaken the T56 found in our SSRs was produced especially for that vehicle & perhaps that is the rub. Is our bellhousing shorter or something like that? I know all of their gearboxes come without bellhousing.

I copy/pasted this part and I'm thinkin' getting the (shifter location) to line up in the SSR cab might be the reason for the need of a "spacer" to get it right.

"Where the original Magnum shifter locations may prove too far forward, and the extended length Magnum XL's too far back, the Magnum-F's in-between position often proves to be just right. "

·
Premium Member
442 Posts

I copy/pasted this part and I'm thinkin' getting the (shifter location) to line up in the SSR cab might be the reason for the need of a "spacer" to get it right.

"Where the original Magnum shifter locations may prove too far forward, and the extended length Magnum XL's too far back, the Magnum-F's in-between position often proves to be just right. "
Maybe so. That is the only thing I could come up with. Perhaps @dna will respond with the actual reason. It seems to me you would not be able to space too far 'cause you'd pull the input shaft out of the pilot bearing.

·
Premium Member
2,623 Posts
Just out of curiosity what is the spacer for & why is it required?
I think that the input shaft is a little longer in the early Camaro trans, so the spacer will make up the difference. Then the slave cylinder will have to spaced back the same amount.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts