Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I put in my cluster tonight. Now my question is did I do something wrong? The ash tray door now hits the cluster and only opens now about 2/3 of what it used to?? Did I "F" something up?? I also have some pics of the install to help anyone else that wants to put one in if someone will host them for me.

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Remove the carpet and padding

I saw in earlier post that you must remove enough of the padding and carpet to set the gauges correctly. My 05 was pre-installed and the ashtray works. So do a search, it was just posted less than a month ago.

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Gauge pod install post

The post "gauge pod install" states to remove the padding. I don't know if it means all or some. Look up this post and contact the member stating this. Hopefully they can answer your questions better.

·
Premium Member
9,382 Posts
When I installed mine, I went with the description of the install given by someone else on the site. I removed all the underpadding past the contour of the gauge pod, so that the pod could sit closer to the floor - ashtray opens completely.

Removing the underpadding was the most difficult part of the job - hard to cut it in that area, so it was mostly a matter of pulling at it to take shreds of it out.

Once the gauge pod is installed, the carpeting looks fine.

Ray

·
Registered
904 Posts
When the guy that put my boost gauge in he had to take the pod out and mount the boost and put it back, It is not a easy job, He took all the padding out and then worked the pod in place, You wouldn't wanted any kids around when he was trying to get the pod back in, Wish I hadn't put a boost in, Not worth the trouble

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
IllinoisSSR said:
I have no idea how much padding to remove. I removed enough to fit in the bracket thats it.
I removed ALL the padding from on top of the tunnel to about 1/2 way down the sides, and the gauges fit fine and the ashtray works great.

·
Banned
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK Pods in good now I just didnt remove enough padding like you guys said. I have blood all over the console cut the hell out of my hands and fingers. Thank God the pig tail was where they said it would be but it was still hard to find taped to the trans tunnel but still UNDER the console. Why they just dont leave the connector sticking out I don't know. I got lucky and felt something and started tugging on it and ripped it loose and I was able to fish it out. I was at the dealer yesterday and they wanted to charge 4 yes I said 4 hours of labor to install it. I have some pictures if anyone wants to try it like I did. I did not cut the carpet to the firewall like someone suggested here and it worked great. I left about a 3 inch piece bridging the two sides, once the padding was removed the rear part of the bracket easly went over the top of the carpet and lined up with the firewall bolt hole and now the bracket firmly holds the rearword carpet in place.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I had my guages professionally installed, and my ashtray only opens half-way as well. So that is the way the designers at GM intended it.

According to the dealer GM told him it was part of the "retro" look.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Heh....

And if you believe that, I have a bridge in Brooklyn and some prime beach property in Arizona you will be interested in.

If the guages are installed correctly, the ash tray opens exactly like it did before the install. I put ours in, so I speak from experience.

Diggs

·
Premium Member
2006 Aqua Blur 22578
1,436 Posts
dougnc said:
I had my guages professionally installed, and my ashtray only opens half-way as well. So that is the way the designers at GM intended it.

According to the dealer GM told him it was part of the "retro" look.
After reading this thread you really believe this???? Sorry, but gullible is the word that comes to my mind.
:lol :lol :lol

·
Banned
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a feeling there are variances between cars and some ash tray doors will hit the pod and some will not. I took all the padding out of mine and the ash door still strikes the cluster but it still opens 95% of the way.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts