Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to me SSR has been a up and down so far. Yesterday it started skipping again. (replaced a coil last week) Dropped it off and had the same code. My mechanic had suggested we look at the plugs back then. Well he did pull them and handed me 8 crappy looking "Pulstar" plugs one of which was about to blow out of its hole. He said he put in double platinum AC's and it made a world of difference. Read up on the Pulsars in a comparison test and they performed worse in mileage and power than regular plugs. He also said it was the reason it was eating coils. The pulsars have all sorts of crap inside the insulator creating a Plazma spark, why do people try to reinvent a simple spark plug.

BTW I reverse engineered a coil (in the lathe) and found a mini chip integrated circuit board encapsulated within. Remember when we could by a coil(only one was needed ) at local parts stores for $7? Jeff

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,223 Posts
Yeah, the "easy" and inexpensive days are long gone. Interesting that the plugs failed, I wonder how many miles were on them. I agree, sometimes that new dodad gadget is not quite what it is touted to be in the real workd. The new AC Delcos should be fine, I have always found good success with NGK and plan to stick with them. In the past I have read where some GM vehicles seem to run much better with the AC versus other brand name plugs.

Glad you found the issue but sucks you had to spend so much time and money on it, hope the New Year treats you better :grin2:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts