Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Premium Member
2006 Asphalt Black & Ricochet Silver, 6 spd, 38K miles
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I just use the battery junction box under the hood to hook up a trickle charger OR does it have to be connected straight to the battery itself?

Slingshot Rules!
Can I just use the battery junction box under the hood to hook up a trickle charger OR does it have to be connected straight to the battery itself?
Good Question, Scott . . .

I purchased the "Plug Option" for the Battery Tender Plus and have been using one of the Dash AUX Plugs for years.

Much easier to "Hook Up" on a regular basis plus much less likely to create a drive off while still "Hooked Up."

! :cool: ! 馃憤 ! :cool: ! 馃憤 ! :cool: !

BAD BOW TIE
Suggest don't use trickle charger as it will over charge. Use Battery Tender as it will shut to float mode when battery is fully charged and come on only as needed.

SSR Believer
Hi Scott,

Also use a 3 amp Deltran Battery Tender with a "cigarette lighter" adapter. I plug mine into the bed outlet and others plug theirs into either of the power outlets in the dash (not the cigarette lighter outlet in the ashtray). More here:

And here:

Premium Member
I hard wired my Schauer battery maintainers for about 14 years. It works. But not any trickle charger is good for every battery. Mint need to maintain at 6-8 amps, lower will actually shorten the battery life.

Registered
2005, ssr, blur, auto, 56k miles,
I鈥檓 planning to put my deltran bt jr 750 ma on for winter and unplug it after it hits maintain mode, repeat once a month or so, if it doesn鈥檛 keep up I鈥檒l get a bigger tender.

Registered
I鈥檓 planning to put my deltran bt jr 750 ma on for winter and unplug it after it hits maintain mode, repeat once a month or so, if it doesn鈥檛 keep up I鈥檒l get a bigger tender.
Rule of thumb, 750 MA to 1 amp max for maintaining 12 volt batteries over the winter months of not being used (battery maintainer/tender, not a trickle charger). 750ma or 800ma Deltran Battery Tender/Maintainer "Float Chargers" should work fine !!

Slingshot Rules!
Rule of thumb, 750 MA to 1 amp max for maintaining 12 volt batteries over the winter months of not being used (battery maintainer/tender, not a trickle charger). 750ma or 800ma Deltran Battery Tender/Maintainer "Float Chargers" should work fine !!

GREAT POINT, RCopo . . .

I learned from a Battery Expert at a Barrett-Jackson Auction many years ago . . . there's a Huge Difference between a Battery Tender vs a Battery Charger or Trickle Charger.

! :cool: ! 馃憤 ! :cool: ! 馃憤 ! :cool: !

1 - 15 of 15 Posts