Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
METAL PREPARATION: Prior to priming metal, it is a good idea to prepare the metal for rust prevention. This means eliminating rust (even
small specks difficult to see with the naked eye). The product to use is called "OSPHO" by SKYBRYTE CO. of CLEVELAND, OHIO. This may
be found at the local ACE HDWE. Store. It must be looked up and ordered - about $25.00 a gallon. This product changes the chemical
composition of rust from something that won't accept paint to something that will. The consistency is like water and may be applied with
any type of hand sprayer. A used glass cleaner sprayer works well. Prior to priming the item, remove any loose rust and any oil or grease, then spray this on your part and leave it overnight. The next day wash the part with hot water and dry thoroughly. You may now prime the part. If the part is large or intricate remove any leftover residue with a very damp rag or air compressor spray gun. This should also be done to parts you are having powder coated. This will be up to you to do this as the powder coater won't. All he will do is sand-blast the item. Preparing your part this way will keep you from redoing it again a year or two later. This product may also be used to etch stone, concrete or brick-work prior to painting to provide good adhesion. WSK

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
I just spoke to William and we spoke about this product. Afte,r our conversation I googled the product and it looks promising. I’m going to get a bottle and use it!

Dane

·
Registered
2004 UV
1,111 Posts
Have used this product in the past seems to work well, anything that helps to prevent rust is worth giving it a try. Trouble with painting over the rust is what you painted outside looks good but the rust underneath keeps doing it's thing eating away the metal underneath.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've had people tell me this is just like POR-15 only you will find it more reasonable $$$wise. I've used it for years and the only compliant is when hands are not
covered. If you get any on your hands or... you better clean up NOW! If you missed a spot it will be with you for the next three (3) to five (5) days. And, that rust
underneath is like a cancer unless you kill it with this stuff. WSK P.S.: If you can, use a foam brush on the small items (no brush strokes) and spray the larger
items.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts