Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
OP
8,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning a business/PLEASURE trip to CT in October and was thinking of heading to Niagra.
No I will not be in the SSR (flying instead), can anyone recommend any must-see countryside or attractions that ime of year?
I have done the VT, NH, ME, MA thing before and was looking for something different.
Is Niagra or Canada a waste of time? I will be flying in and out of Hartford, CT most likely.

Thanks
OP

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,071 Posts
I highly recommend going into the Canadian side of Niagra. There is a peninsula (Niagra I believe) just over the border that is a wine region. You will find a special kind of wine there called "ice wine" that is unique. You need to go taste some. It is in small bottles and is a desert wine, similar to a Sauterne and is really wonderful.

My wife and i still have a few bottles left and use it for special evenings.

Good Luck,

Mike

·
OP
8,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mikem-2005 said:
I highly recommend going into the Canadian side of Niagra. There is a peninsula (Niagra I believe) just over the border that is a wine region. You will find a special kind of wine there called "ice wine" that is unique. You need to go taste some. It is in small bottles and is a desert wine, similar to a Sauterne and is really wonderful.

My wife and i still have a few bottles left and use it for special evenings.

Good Luck,

Mike
Cool, thanks

·
OP
8,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
heading west

OK, now it looks as if I will start in hartford, ct and end up in the buffalo, ny area.
Niagara Falls, ON is on the list in Canada, but how 'bout the Adirondacks. Any suggestions as to a nice resort area. My wife and I typically look for either high-end accomodations or upscale B&B's.
We appreciate your help and guidance.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
October across NY

Ampmop;

The upstate NY resorts tend to rollup the sidewalks after Columbus day and come back to life when it snows. Some areas to check out:
* Saratoga Springs...upscale to the upscale people
* Lake George area..beautiful in the fall
* Skaneatales...playground for the rich and filthy(filthy rich)
* Rt 14 North of Seneca falls.....check out the Erie Canal & Locks
* Finger Lakes area...about 80 wineries, check out west side of Seneca Lake....Glenora winery with upscale lake view rooms.

Welcome to the Northeast

·
OP
8,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
SSR290 said:
Ampmop;

The upstate NY resorts tend to rollup the sidewalks after Columbus day and come back to life when it snows. Some areas to check out:
* Saratoga Springs...upscale to the upscale people
* Lake George area..beautiful in the fall
* Skaneatales...playground for the rich and filthy(filthy rich)
* Rt 14 North of Seneca falls.....check out the Erie Canal & Locks
* Finger Lakes area...about 80 wineries, check out west side of Seneca Lake....Glenora winery with upscale lake view rooms.

Welcome to the Northeast
Thank you, sounds good. Some areas may be a bit too "filthy" for us, but I believe we will find some nice things to do, see, and stay thanks for your help.
I wish I could take the SSR with me...

K

·
0 Posts
Head to Lake George, the foliage change should be in effect then. In Hague, NY, right on the water is a B&B called La Ruah. It is an enormous old victorian with beautiful front porches. You can have breakfast either in the dining room or on the front porch looking out over the lake. It is a beautiful old home and is in walking distance of a boat rental business if you desire to go out on the lake.
ENJOY!!

·
OP
8,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ken'sssr said:
Head to Lake George, the foliage change should be in effect then. In Hague, NY, right on the water is a B&B called La Ruah. It is an enormous old victorian with beautiful front porches. You can have breakfast either in the dining room or on the front porch looking out over the lake. It is a beautiful old home and is in walking distance of a boat rental business if you desire to go out on the lake.
ENJOY!!
Thank you but the boss says we are staying at the Sagamore so it is so. I'll look for the B&B you listed for the future.

·
Tu-Tone club member
5,780 Posts
Is that the same Sagamore which is around Raquette Lake, which use to be owned by Syracuse University?

P/P

Peace :flag

·
OP
8,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Purple Penelope said:
Is that the same Sagamore which is around Raquette Lake, which use to be owned by Syracuse University?

P/P

Peace :flag
Duh, i dunno...

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
http://edobermeyer.com/novasoctia.html
Read the story, check out thepics and decide for yourselves. We thought the Candadian side of Niagara was breathtaking and can vouch for the exquisite quality of the ice wine. Great stuff! It is a visit you will remember for the rest of your life. We stayed at the Embassy Suites Hotel where you can see fireworks on Friday nights and watch the 65 year old high wire act from the roofs of the hotel on the upper floors. Amazing gentleman. They illuminate the falls at night with lights too.

·
OP
8,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cool

Thank you, everything is set now and, yes, we are staying on the Canadian side of Niagara Falls.
Hope to see some of you on the road, if time allows I am going to try and drive through Marc's area to try and see his SSR.
We'll see.

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
ampmop said:
Thank you, everything is set now and, yes, we are staying on the Canadian side of Niagara Falls.
Hope to see some of you on the road, if time allows I am going to try and drive through Marc's area to try and see his SSR.
We'll see.

When you get your plans finalized, drop me a line, we're just over an hour from the Falls and would be happy to show you around.

·
OP
8,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
parothed97 said:
When you get your plans finalized, drop me a line, we're just over an hour from the Falls and would be happy to show you around.
How would all 4 of us fit in the SSR :) I'm not riding in the back...
Thank you though and if time allows I will take you up on it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts