Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
RED SLED
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have 30k on my 03 SSR. No engine mods but a performance ain’t intake. Today I pulled in to a restaurant and parked for about 15-20 then came back outside and when I started the truck it only ran on just a few cys’s then quit. It would not restart. Acted like it was out of fuel but still 1/4 tank. Went inside and sat down for about 5 min, then went back out to the truck and upon cranking it up it fired right off. Drive it home with no problems. My first thought was fuel pump. Any thoughts or ideas?

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
While I will never claim to be as knowledgeable as some others on this site, what it sounds like too me is Your Baby was starved for fuel. Could have picked up some trash in the fuel line being near the low end of the tank levels. I might even go so far as too doing the inspection on the Ground connections that other posts have indicated being a problem. I am sure some others may have experienced this instance and will give more advice. Good Luck

·
Ex SoCal Nut
9,931 Posts
Was it 114 deg while you had it parked ? Summer is coming, and the Monsoons are still waiting.... Hot & Dry out today....

·
Premium Member
2,894 Posts
I Agree with others check for codes.
Also check battery --
If none I would also suspect an intermittent electrical problem
1. Possible high resistance in the start/run circuit of ignition switch
2. relay 42 underhood fuse box beginning to fail

If you can use and own a voltmeter
Ignition switch testing --- I would recommend that you check the fuses in the fuse boxes that are fed by the run/start circuit of the ignition switch -- should be battery voltage with key on engine off on both sides of fuse. If there is more than a 1 volt difference from battery voltage I would suspect a bad ignition switch (in the charts that I have attached the highlighted fuses are the ones directly fed by the ignition switch -- specifically look to the column on far right and focus on the ones that say "start/run")
Relay 42 testing -- check fuses 23 and 24 underhood for 12 volts on each side (again key on, engine off) -- these provide power to all coils and all injectors. These are fed by relay 42. Wolfpacker had one fail -- switched with starter relay and engine ran! I helped him find this problem by checking fuses WITH test equipment "NOT VISUALLY".

You may or may not have success testing when the problem is not present. Checking with a voltmeter when it is not occurring would only take about 10 minutes -- If voltages are off you found the most likely culprit.

I realize that you may not be able to see the images --- PM me your email address and I will gladly send you a PDF of the powerpoint I created on this subject for a possible tech session. - Will probably be Monday or Tuesday before I could do this.

Sorry I did not post these cheap, quick tests earlier -- I got sidetracked over the holiday week.

Best of luck -- let us know

Attachments

·
HobbyBob
641 Posts
Low tank heats fuel quicker. Hot fuel can become vapor locked.Keep tank more full. If this persists, there is a pressure valve near the fuel tank. It keeps pressure in the fuel line for less cranking and quicker starts. A professional can bypass this. .02:jester

1 - 6 of 6 Posts