Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well here it is in a nut shell. Bough the truck 2-1-05. Drove it home and noticed a slight whinning sound. Took it to the dealer and they agreed that there was a problem.

I was told to bring the truck in on 3-7-05 to get it replaced along with the hatch shocks and for them to fix the right side roof rattle and the rotating center caps and the new driveshaft.

They installed the new center section and test drove it. Still whinning, came back and pulled it apart and found new metal shavings in the housing. Had to call an Advisor from GM in about. He told them to replace it all. Picked up the truck on Friday 3-11-05. Still has the roof rattle,center caps still rotating and the whinning sound is now when you lift off the throttle instead of when you are on the throttle.

Took the truck back to them yesterday 3-15-05 and as of 10minutes agoon 3-16-05 @5:15est they told me...They are talking with tech support on what to do next.

In the meen time I am stuck driving a friggin rental car

Did I buy a lemon? It is just killing me not to have it....

·
Registered
181 Posts
Fix for Loose Center Caps.

Boosted, On the GM Tech site for the month of March they list a specific fix for the loose center caps. In GM lingo it is problem # PIT3196A. The part# for the tape they use to fix the caps is TAC306. The part consists of 8 pieces of tape, 2 per wheel, they use to correct the loose cap problem. Mention these specific numbers to your GM Service Mgr. and they should be able to order the part and fix the problem.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea they have the tape on order and it just came in....Just sux paying for an SSR and get stuck driving a cavilier.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I guess I could have gotten one of them but they sit to high and I take my mother in law to kemo on thursdays so i needed something low.

·
Resident Rocket Scientist
11,997 Posts
I feel your pain

They had mine for about 3 weeks to fix the clutch - seemed like 3 years. I finally gave them the rental car and drove my 'old' truck. Good luck in getting your probs fixed.

·
Registered
46 Posts
RedTn.SSR said:
Boosted, On the GM Tech site for the month of March they list a specific fix for the loose center caps. In GM lingo it is problem # PIT3196A. The part# for the tape they use to fix the caps is TAC306. The part consists of 8 pieces of tape, 2 per wheel, they use to correct the loose cap problem. Mention these specific numbers to your GM Service Mgr. and they should be able to order the part and fix the problem.

So the high tech fix for these expensive vehicles amounts to the shade tree method - tape it!!! I suppose more difficult problems require the more advanced "bailing wire" method.......

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,101 Posts
Steve: Your rear end (the truck's that is) may have other problems, but I have come to believe that the darn aluminum driveshaft acts like a too good "musical isntrument" (think trumpet) in amplifying small noral noises into huge noises.

I am trying something on Monday that may work. I will post my results next week.

Jim G

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jim,

I have done all I am willing to do. They are going to fix it or replace it. It came with a 3 year/36k mile warranty and it made 1300 miles.... :banghead :cry :reddevil

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
News Flash...

They are putting another new rearend in it....Now that is a suprise...NOT!

·
Registered
73 Posts
lemonlaws

They vary by state, but a google search would bring them up. I think in Michigan if you have the same problem 3 times its a lemon. OR if its in the shop for a certain amount of time within the first yr its a lemon. I think theres a few other thresholds too. good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I purchased a cadillac sts back in 1999. started using about a quart of oil every 500 miles. so the dealer wanted to do an oil sample to see if there was a problem. The day after that my wife called me and said the car was rolling smoke so bad that she could not see anything behind her. I told her to park it. called the dealer, and they towed it in. they found that an oil ring was left off a piston. bad thing is the hole frontend has to be droped to Pull the motor. told them we didnt want the car back! My wife and i had to argue with the gm rep off and on for a week. even said we would put lemons on it:) they agreed to swap for another sts. but the only ones they had were pearl paint a 500 option and they said we would have to pay the differance. told them NO. ended with them giving us full retail back on the car. so if you feel that your ssr is a lemon be very vocal about it. ask who the rep is for your area.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts