Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2003 SSR, with 9500 miles. Sometimes it pulls to the left at speeds below 45mph. I had the front end aligned, but it still does it. Never at higher speeds; seem like it happens when i slow down, but not every time. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
kengodfrey said:
I recently purchased a 2003 SSR, with 9500 miles. Sometimes it pulls to the left at speeds below 45mph. I had the front end aligned, but it still does it. Never at higher speeds; seem like it happens when i slow down, but not every time. Any suggestions?
the first thing to try is swap the front tires left to right and see if the pull changes. If it does then you have radial tire pull, but i doubt that is you problem but it is an easy thing to try.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
kengodfrey said:

When I first bought mine, I thought it was pulling. I had it aligned etc....but I eventually determined that I was just not used to it and it was more or less the way the tires 'grabbed' the slight ruts in the road. I had forgotten about this until your post....I've been driving almost 2 years now without thinking about it. Tire wear never indicated a problem either.

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
WOW_FCTR said:
When I first bought mine, I thought it was pulling. I had it aligned etc....but I eventually determined that I was just not used to it and it was more or less the way the tires 'grabbed' the slight ruts in the road. I had forgotten about this until your post....I've been driving almost 2 years now without thinking about it. Tire wear never indicated a problem either.
:agree

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
kengodfrey said:
Actually the very first thing to do is check the air pressure in all the tires. With these wide tires, it only takes a difference of a pound or two to cause a noticable pull.

Get a digital tire gauge, one that reads in 1/2 pounds, and make sure the pressure matches, left to right.

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
The wider the tires, the more a vehicle tends to follow the ruts in any pavement. This was a BIG issue on my Corvette Z06.

If the vehicle is consistemtly pulling to the left versus sometimes to the right as well, it's because you are not centered in the traffic lane.:)

Jim G

p.s wide tires also hydroplane in the rain rather too easily.

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
same pull here but its just the way it seems to be nothing wrong with align or tires or pressures.no road is perfect and i agree it will pull towards the grade of the surface.and god knows here in hawaii they are still reading the instructions how a road grader works.

·
Registered
349 Posts
wingrider said:
the first thing to try is swap the front tires left to right and see if the pull changes. If it does then you have radial tire pull, but i doubt that is you problem but it is an easy thing to try.
I thought that we couldn't swap any tires around. I know that the front and rear are obviously different sizes, but I was told that all the tires are unidirectional - that is, they are designed to spin only in one direction, and can only be installed on one place on the vehicle. Is this wrong?:confused

·
Premium Member
2006 Aqua Blur 22578
1,436 Posts
Peaches said:
I thought that we couldn't swap any tires around. I know that the front and rear are obviously different sizes, but I was told that all the tires are unidirectional - that is, they are designed to spin only in one direction, and can only be installed on one place on the vehicle. Is this wrong?:confused
Unidirectional tires have an arrow indicating direction of rotation. They have a distinct tread pattern that is designed to function in one direction only. No arrows on the stock Goodyears so they should be swappable (is that a word?) side to side. I remember back in the early '70s when radials were first gaining popularity the recommendation was not to cross rotate. Something to do with ply separation/method of construction at the time I believe. That is no longer a problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts