Chevy SSR Forum banner

Truckin' Nice SSR's

9K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  240 Gordy 
#1 · (Edited)
I found this pretty cool blurb.

Chevrolet SSR Enthusiast | Chevrolet SSR Articles, Pictures, & Video for the Real Auto Enthusiast at Automotive.com

Featured SSR's:
1. SSR4DOC's former #185
2. Brian Stafford's
4. #11289 - Built By GO EZ for promotional purposes but never meant to be on the road.
It seems it was a GM "mule" with a VS7 NON SALEABLE RPO.
It had 16k on it when the rebuild occurred. It has since been parted out.
6. Project Super Stunner - Anyone know the story on this one?
7. MBRP Exhaust - SEMA #317
8. Al N Ed's Sound- Pretty sure this was a SEMA build also.
11. Detroit Locker Enduro. The article has this comment "the Duntov-inspired SSR".
Anyone ever hear that comment as I have never seen anything relating Zora Arkos-Duntov to the SSR before.
(I later realized the colours were from Duntov's racing Vette from Le Mans and raced those coulours often under the #2).
13. Diamondback (as we all know of course)
14. Custom build by Joel Cavalier. Anyone know anything about this one?
15. Built by Magnacharger. It appears to have the Budnik Wheels which I believe were a custom wheel
built for the SoCal Trucks.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I found this pretty cool blurb.

Chevrolet SSR Enthusiast | Chevrolet SSR Articles, Pictures, & Video for the Real Auto Enthusiast at Automotive.com

Featured SSR's:
1. SSR4DOC's former #185
2. Brian Stafford's
4. #11289 - Built By GO EZ for promotional purposes but never meant to be on the road.
It seems it was a GM "mule" with a VS7 NON SALEABLE RPO.
It had 16k on it when the rebuild occurred. It has since been parted out.
6. Project Super Stunner - Anyone know the story on this one?
7. MBRP Exhaust - SEMA #317
8. Al N Ed's Sound- Pretty sure this was a SEMA build also.
11. Detroit Locker Enduro. The article has this comment "the Duntov-inspired SSR".
Anyone ever hear that comment as I have never seen anything relating Zora Arkos-Duntov to the SSR before.
13. Diamondback (as we all know of course)
14. Custom build by Joel Cavalier. Anyone know anything about this one?
15. Built by Magnacharger. It appears to have the Budnik Wheels which I believe were a custom wheel
built for the SoCal Trucks.

I'll have to go digging through some old photo files. Several of those were at SEMA in 2005. The Detroit Locker truck was loaded with components from Axiom, including a hard tonneau for the passenger half, and the moulded front bars. Their efforts to supply pre-painted and satin plated bars instead of sticking with the primer only components they had planned to supply led to a horror show of problems and delays that upset a lot of people.

Thr First Drive article listed on page 2 if from Truck Trend. They drove Signature 23.

#4 ·
I'll have to go digging through some old photo files. Several of those were at SEMA in 2005.
I located this while digging for info on some of the original SEMA's,
VIN's being one of the main ingredients as that is how I file them.
If you (or anyone) has info you think I could be interested in please let me know.
Primarily SSR's of special interest which some of the above are prime examples.

Part of my research in the So-Cal's indicates there could have been 4 "West Coast" SSR's built.
I have not explored that area yet, but the Magnuson is somewhat intriguing because of those Budnik wheels.
I could be all wet on that one though.

**Just noticed Mike's note on Budnik. I thought that might be the case but wasn't sure.

#3 ·
Cool link! :thumbs

4. Saw it online at the junkyard, would not part w/ the fenders :banghead

Very cool 2 tone though :cool

8. I have a few pics of Al n Ed's truck. Pop straight up bed cover w/ BBQ & TV.

11. Axiom parts bought out by Kaminari. I like the wheels and the roll bar.

15. Budnik sells those wheels to the public since the days of the Push truck.

#5 · (Edited)
Thanks Mike. I was about to email it to you in case you didn't see this.:)
4. This one is pretty well documented on page 4 of the DECEASED thread.
It is the only SSR that I have seen the VS7 NonSaleable RPO on the build sheet,
(and I've seen a lot of build sheets!!!). It was doomed from Day 1.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive design

8. Never heard much from Al N Ed after SEMA. I relate that one to the BBQ one.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Orange

Used to be a Fanatic that went under "grillman". Often thought it might have been him
with the BBQ SSR.

11. I recall this one being Axiom's avatar. The Detroit Locker
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive design

It was subsequently redone and became the Eaton Enduro
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Pickup truck

If anyone knows VIN's, locations or anything of interest regarding #6-15 above lets hear it.
The MBRP was for sale in Edmonton late last year but forgot to follow up to find out where it went.

I emailed Ground Force as I think they may have had #338 and plan to email Magnusson to see if
I can get anything from there.

#9 · (Edited)
#10 ·
#1 on the list, SSR4Doc's Savage Beauty, B100185, was sold at 3:33.52 CST on 08/03/10 on eBay to a gentleman in France. It appears that one may soon be on a ship bound for Europe once we confirm the overseas wire is complete. I will post an update upon completion, but it looks like its leaving us.

#11 · (Edited)
That is such a beautiful SSR. I love looking at the pictures of it.
It was somewhat upsetting to see it stay on the market so long.
Sad to see it leave North America but at least someone recognized and appreciated it's value.
Undoubtedly it will be the nicest SSR in France and strong contender for best in Europe.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Chevrolet ssr
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Hood
Vehicle Car Auto part Engine Luxury vehicle

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.