Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
now installed. It took about 6 hours today but it looks and sounds great. It will be nice to put a few miles on it tomorrow to see how it performs.

I think with the top up, it is going to be a little louder in the cab.

I used two Magnaflow mufflers and 2 1/2 pipe.

Getting the tips lined back up proved to be somewhat challenging.

Has anyone else noticed that the rear pipe on the left is crushed down to clear the pan-hard bar and mount?

The factory Y pipe is also squeezed into two D's before it is joined together.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
No pics

I did not take any pics.

I can tell you what we did though.
We cut the pipe from the left cat that connects to the Y.
We then disconnected the factory flange and manifold connector.
We pulled out the entire right cat and cut the Y and flange out and reinstalled it. We then fabricated the replacement pipes to just behind the trans brace and installed the X pipe.
Then we ran two more pieces of pipe back to the two Magnaflow mufflers. These are real heavy weights compared to the stock unit.
Lining up the tail pipes was fun but they look great. Checked the system for any missing welds and dropped it down.
I fired it up and noticed the difference instantly. Much deeper tone.

I feel like it will resonate in the cab with the roof up so I'm a little concerned.
I'll know more tomorrow.

I made one quick run in first. I was pretty impressed with the speed that it reached 6000 rpm. Very very quick.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh where???

A long time friend that has done custom exhaust around town for a couple of shops now does it in his own shop. I would guess someone in Navarre does custom work, but let me know if you need someone.

·
Tu-Tone club member
5,780 Posts
Wildcat...that was taken from the side/hood/tailgate/but not the waterfall of her SSR. You should see the waterfall:cool

P/P

Peace:flag

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welllllll

...after 60 miles or so today, I can say that it is a little louder now. The good thing is at cruising speeds, 55, 65 and 70 it does not resonate in the cab very bad at all.

As for performance, I was a little disappointed right up until the time I realized I had the air on. (Mid 70's and high humidity here) With the air off it feels better in the upper rpm band. Down low, it is hard to tell a lot, but that is only after 60 miles or so. Mainly I10 at that.

Scott

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Phat300...

I was in P'coal today. I will be headed to Gulfshores tomorrow if the weather moves on through.

Anyway, as Magnuson said, the low-end torque is helped somewhat by the back pressure. S/C can stuff more air in. It really performs well over 4000 RPM. I can feel it pulling harder. I feel that a dyno run might be needed just to double check A/F ratio and I'll have some numbers then.

The sound or tone of the system is great. The volume is a little more than I like.

I like the way it sounds with the top down order 3/4 to WOT conditions. It helps balance out the whine of the S/C.

If I had to do it over again, and knowing what I know now...I would choice a different muffler or simply not do it.

As I have stated before, I don't live to work on it and don't want to waste time on a dyno, I want to drive it. I do not drive around with my foot on the floorboard any more than I have to either:) ...

So, I guess if you are not looking for max speed I would use a different muffler, not necessarily a different manufacturer, or I would not do it.

Don't get me wrong, if you like to here your exhaust as you go down the road, you might love these muflers.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Thanks for the honest info. Where do you live in AL? We're in Navarre, 3 or 4 other SSR's around here also....we'll have to meet up some time. I'd love to check out the s/c.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Sounds like you've got a great tuner over there.....didn't even know it. I'll have to get his info as we get our exhaust modified etc.

Thanks,

D

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeap...

James at RWTD seems to really know is stuff. He is a member here, just do a search or google RWTD or I can forward ino.

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
1hot12c: It wasn't clear to me from the above whether or not you have yet had the air/fuel ratio checked after the change in exhaust.

With a supercharger, a reduction in exhaust back pressure can facilitate a LOT higher air flow through the engine. To understand how much, note that the Magnacharger optional powertrain warranty is VOIDED by any change in exhaust system.

I have a strong suspicion that the two reasons my own 04 supercharged SSR is running so well (using up 83% of injector duty cycle at 6200 rpm) are the high lift 02 Z06 cam and the freeflowing exhaust I have on mine.

If you haven't had the A/F checked yet, you might want to do so.

Jim G

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
True Dual Exhaust BEFORE the SCing . . . .

Jim,

If I were to have my '04 SCed would you suggest I do the true dual exhaust, using th "x" connector FIRST before having Joe from Vista, CA install the Magnuson?

Guess maybe I should ask him. :)

If you're monitoring, Joe . . . go ahead and chime in.

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Persoanlly I'd do the supercharger install first for a practical reason:

If your SSR is currently stock, you can then safely install the "normal" tune that Magnuson includes with the kit via a microtuner. If everything does not work perfectly, Magnuson will be able to diagnose the problem(s) because they KNOW the exact configuration you have.

Then, if losing the optional powertrain warranty is not a consideration, go aead and do the exhaust work, BUT understand that you must not drive the vehicle HARD (i.e. high rpm and/or high loading) until you get the air/fuel ratio and perhaps spark timing adjusted by a tuner experienced in tuning supercharged vehicles. This is because IF the xhaust work is done correctly, it will actually increase air flow through the engine, necessitating proportionately more fuel! If that extra fuel is not provided, the engine runs lean, and detonates. THART could lead to massive destruction!

Supercharged engines have a lot less tolerance for lean mixtures than naturally aspirated ones. To give you an idea of how MUCH less tolerant they are, almost all references you will find say that while a naturally aspirated street engine uses about 0.5 lb. of fuel per horsepower hour, a supercharged one should be set uo for 0.6 lb. of fuel per horsepower hour, at least as a starting point until actual dyno testing can be done! That's 20% richer!

This is why Lyndon Wester set up my own 04 modifed and then supercharged SSR so rich as a starting point (Air / fuel ratio of 11.4 at peak rpm at WOT, although more like 11.7 or 11.8 at lower rpm and WOT). He didn't want to blow up my engine!

Going conservative on both air/fuel and aprk advance costs a bit of power - maybe 5 to 7% in my case for example, but is a good idea when:

1. The vehilce is a daily driver

2. The owner is not keen on replacing the engine after it blows up

As I have stated before, there is a REASON that Magnuson voids the powertrain wrranty if the exhaust has been altered at all.

Jim G

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My experience

My tune out of the box from Magnuson was dangerously lean. If you are going to have a dyno run right after the install, go ahead and get the exhaust work done. One trip on the dyno is easier than two.

I know we all want to drive our trucks on the road and not sit in a hot or cold shop strapped to a chassis dyno.

The bottom line is either way you go you have to have a solid A/F reading to be safe.

If you paid the extra $200.00 for the warranty, don't do the exhaust for 3 years. :)

Personally, I think I would leave the exhaust alone if I was not going to ride around with my right foot pushed through the floor board as I slipped through the lights at a track. My 2 cents...

Jim, have not got back to RWTD for another run to check A/F. Maybe sometime in the next few weeks. It is just too pretty out to sit in the shop. Just go cruzzin.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts