Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can my fellow SSR Fanatics provide input? Having a problem with the trunk latch on my 05. If I close the trunk, I have to get underneath to manipulate the latch to reopen. GM advised part has been discontinued. Not sure if the Actuator needs replacing or if the existing mechanism needs to be adjusted. I have no access to a manual. Would welcome any bits of wisdom.

·
2,421 Posts
Can my fellow SSR Fanatics provide input? Having a problem with the trunk latch on my 05. If I close the trunk, I have to get underneath to manipulate the latch to reopen. GM advised part has been discontinued. Not sure if the Actuator needs replacing or if the existing mechanism needs to be adjusted. I have no access to a manual. Would welcome any bits of wisdom.
I’m guessing the actuator. Go to the how to library actuator and bed cable adjustment. Dicktator has all the info. Send him a pm. New actuators that will work are vw. With some adjustments. Just my 02

Reactions: Hot05

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
I live in Bradenton and would be glad to give you a hand. I have a spare actuator if that is the problem. PM me if I can help.
Dave

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,355 Posts
river_rat has a post about checking to make sure the yellow "Emergency Release" cable is all the way into its housing! Search thread "Bed cover won't unlatch" with river_rat post.

8-2-17 Wasn't trying to tease or keep anyone in suspense earlier, but my phone battery was dying. Anyway, what the problem was on both Ray's and Kathy's (nj6969) trucks was that the emergency release cable was not fully retracted. The emergency release cable actually functions two ways. If pulled lightly, it closes a micro switch in the actuator box which in turn energizes the relay in the underhood fuse box and thus energizes the actuator solenoid releasing the cargo cover. If you pull harder on the release cable, it will then mechanically release the cargo cover. I would imagine the secondary mechanical release was designed this way in case of battery failure.

Anyway if the emergency release handle gets pulled and it does not retract completely when released, it can keep the relay and actuator powered which will prevent the cargo cover from opening as well as drain the battery. What I cannot explain at this time is if the actuator is energized then why weren't the cargo release latches always released the entire time. Ray did mention that he was occasionally getting a cargo cover ajar warning and also did find that he randomly found the cargo cover released. He was also experiencing excessive battery drain when parked.

On Ray's truck, we found the emergency release cable kinked just above the handle which was causing the cable to not retract completely when you let go. The emergency handle should only be pulled downward, NOT sideways nor upward as either of those movements can cause cable damage.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,380 Posts
I live in Bradenton and would be glad to give you a hand. I have a spare actuator if that is the problem. PM me if I can help.
Dave
He needs more posts before he can PM but maybe he will post a phone number when he checks back and sees this.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Appreciate all the input. This has been frustrating to say the least. Love this SSR. When I became a Fanatic, I so wanted to bond with my fellow Fanatics who appreciate the simple beauty of this truck. Unfortunately, health problems have prevented me from taking advantage of the opportunities to date. I thought living in Florida would provide the perfect scenario to cruise with my beauty (SSR & Wife) Maybe in that order...LOL (Don't tell)

I will definitely contact SSRDave if he is local & willing to lend a hand. Just want to make sure I am following protocol.

Hot05

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds silly but how do I contact Dinerman..since it is posted I do not have enough posts?

·
Premium Member
4,355 Posts
Hot05, answer this, then go to any other thread and comment anything. I think you need 15, so about 2 or 3 more. That will get your numbers up. Then PM "Dinerman". Just curious, did you look/check to see if the emergency cable in the bed was all the way retracted into the housing?

·
Daily Driver
8,940 Posts
Sounds silly but how do I contact Dinerman..since it is posted I do not have enough posts?
You know where to find him, post in that thread, or PM him when you get 2 more posts. ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, I have checked the cable. Seems to be correct & all the way retracted. But, will check again. Appreciate the feedback.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Revisiting trunk latch problem. I got inside the actuator box & checked the linkage. Everything looked OK. I tripped the microswitch & the actuator worked but not consistently. So, removed the actuator, applied 12 volts...worked EVERY single time. With the actuator out, I checked for voltage in the wiring to the actuator, got 12 volts. Put the actuator back in & no longer got 12 volts. Are there other microswitches I should be checking?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Checked the ground..thought it was worth a shot. Doesn't seem to be the problem. Not sure what direction to take at this point.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
To all the talented SSRFanatic family. My sincere thanks for all the suggestions regarding my trunk latch problem. After reading all the helpful suggestions & reviewing the expanded library available from Dictator, I resolved the problem by replacing the relay. It is working like it just came off the line.

The input was invaluable. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
4,355 Posts
Glad you got it going! Did you ever get in contact Dinerman?

Nick

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tried to get enough posts in to do a PM to Dingman but all the suggestions that came through including the one from river_rat suggesting a possible faulty relay did the trick. Thanks again for all the input. My ricochet silver is cured.

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,638 Posts
Yes it could be faulty relay but try spraying actuator extension rod first.

Rod is plastic and hangs up when fully extended electrically. Suggest Silicone Spray, oil base spray attracts dust and dirt.

A CLOCK SPRING retracts actuator push rod.

Link: https://onedrive.live.com/?id=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5!853&cid=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5

Look up BED CABLE ADJUSTMENT on my SSR How to Library, more on actuator there.

Also BED RELEASE ACTUATOR by Ed Borland, gives you part# for V/W actuator.

Dicktator

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks again. Actually, your How to Library is AWESOME. I spent a fair share of time reading all the information you provided. I printed out all your information including the silicone spray option and now have a folder to use as a reference should this snag pop up in the future. Who needs a manual when my fellow SSRFanatics have a wealth of information ready & willing to share.

Hot05

1 - 19 of 19 Posts