Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you have the replacement number for the new struts? Do the 05 come with these? My dealer does not have a different number. Bill Ford 04 Redline

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
trunk lid struts

I checked the parts catalog , and they only show 1 number. I also calledGMSPO and they do not show a number replacement for them. :mad

·
Registered
2 Posts
trunk lid opening

Are all of you satisfiied with the inability of the lid to open more than an inch or so when you would expect it to open all the way like it should? That's the single most frustration I have with my SSR. Anyone out there found the solution?

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
rdh said:
Are all of you satisfiied with the inability of the lid to open more than an inch or so when you would expect it to open all the way like it should? That's the single most frustration I have with my SSR. Anyone out there found the solution?

Doesn't really bother me......if it opened less than an inch so that I had to squeeze my fingers in to open it, that would bother me. :)

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,742 Posts
WOW_FCTR said:
Doesn't really bother me......if it opened less than an inch so that I had to squeeze my fingers in to open it, that would bother me. :)
That's what I have!

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
I use my pinky in the gap where the tailgate, quarter panel and lid meet to open it each time. If it is real hot outside it will open all the way for me with just the push of the button. It has opened all the way about 5 times since new.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I took mine in for this before I put it away for the winter. They told me it was my problem because I had the carpeted interior. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Chevy install that? I still think the struts are weak but they won't replace them until it doesn't pop up even the 1/2 inch it does. Next timeI take it in, that's what it won't do.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Your right rdh it is frustrating,when the truck was at the Dealer everytime we opened it, it would go all the way, Drive it home 1" maybe 1 1/2", I just assumed I wore it out, til I read this.

Utah

·
Registered
487 Posts
redlineohio said:
I took mine in for this before I put it away for the winter. They told me it was my problem because I had the carpeted interior. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Chevy install that? I still think the struts are weak but they won't replace them until it doesn't pop up even the 1/2 inch it does. Next timeI take it in, that's what it won't do.
Mine has never popped up!! I have to dig my fingers under the lid and pry it up.....My dealer told me this was normal with the carpet kit installed. I guess there is one MORE thing my dealer told me that wasn't true. I will add this to my "Fix-it" list

·
I DO WINDOWS
8,825 Posts

:nono The gas struts are not strong enough brand new, in cold weather. I had mine changed and they worked in the dealership. By the time I drove home it would only open ½”.

·
Registered
2 Posts
trunk lid issues

Thanks everyone for your support and input. I agree when at the showroom it worked, but when I got it home I discovered the tailgate was not closed tight which allowed the lid more room to open. When the tailgate is closed tight the lid fails to open. If anyone comes up with a solution please let us know because it looks like Chevy has washed their hands on the issue.

·
I DO WINDOWS
8,825 Posts

Our own Buffy suggested mounting door poppers under the lid. (Like they use when door handles are removed) just to give it a little push after unlocking. We need a Ginny pig. :rolleyes:

·
SSR Owners Group
3,753 Posts
2005SSR6Speed said:
I use my pinky in the gap where the tailgate, quarter panel and lid meet to open it each time. If it is real hot outside it will open all the way for me with just the push of the button. It has opened all the way about 5 times since new.
Mine too - I find that if you park with the rear end pointed toward the wind - that will help open the bed cover too... :lol

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
kwhopper89 said:
Mine too - I find that if you park with the rear end pointed toward the wind - that will help open the bed cover too... :lol

Oooohhhh....so you have the windsock accessory to tell which way to park? :jester :lol :lol

·
I DO WINDOWS
8,825 Posts

No silly you lay a patch of rubber and watch the smoke drift.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
REBEL said:
No silly you lay a patch of rubber and watch the smoke drift.

When I burn rubber off my tires....smoke goes EVERYWHERE :)

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
I've seen the weather rope....

If it's wet, it's raining.
If it's dry, it's sunny.
If it's white, it's snowing.
If it's swaying, it's windy.
If it's gone, it's a hurricane.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Cold, wet and....

Yeah, when it was 80 and dry, it opens no problem. Winter, cold, rain, nope, just pops and you have to pry it open.

Unles you don't WANT the damn thing to open. Last week it was driving rain, dark, I get out to drop a couple DVD's in the slot at Blockbuster and notice the guy inside staring at my SSR. I thought he was admiring it. When I turned around, the friggin cargo lid was open ALL THE WAY. I didn't notice it was open because it was 1) Dark and 2) Raining and 3) I have the wind break still installed. I guess I poked the button in the glove box by accident when I reached in to get my cell phone charger out. No telling how long it was open.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Solution.......

rdh said:

****My solution was to install a spoiler.........Well I wanted a spoiler anyway......and it solved several problems......It doesn't pop inadvertinly.......and opens with ease........ :lol :seeya

1 - 20 of 20 Posts