Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hy all, just joined the forum~

My dad recently bought a brand new 2004 fully loaded SSR. We've had it less than two months. One odd thing though. When we pop the trunk, by either remote or inner console controls, it only pops open barely an inch. We thought nothing of it. But we recently when to a nearby Chevy dealership that just opened. They also had a brand new 2004 SSR for sale. My dad and I were looking at it one day because it was the first red one we had seen. When the dealer came to show it to another customer, he popped the trunk, and to our surprise the trunk lifted to over a 30 degree angle. As opossed to the inch that ours rose to. So after talking to the Chevy mechanics about the differences in the two SSR's, they were and still are baffled as to how to mend/adjust our trunk hydraulics to match the other SSR.
One more strange thing has transpired. The Chevy technician that examined our trunk came across an oddity in the paint. After examineing the paint on the entire car, he's determined that the paint on the trunk is a different shade than the rest of the car. He say's that the car may have been in an accident and repainted.
Has this happenned to any of your SSR's?

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Check the past threads. much has been shared on this topic. mine doesn't lift like yours. for some silicone spray has helped.

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
549 Posts
The paint in the bed has no clear coat and not a full color coat because it is always covered with a liner. We had no way to get perfect sealer application or perfect spot welds in the bed so we made a liner standard.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Extra Weight?

While looking at several different SSR's I noticed that the SSR's with the Cargo Compartment Trim package did not open all the way, while the SSR's with the standard bed liner did. My guess is that the weight of the extra trim on the underside of the Cover way contribute to the Covers not opening all the way. I did use silicone spray on mine, but it only helped for a short time. Now it's back to only opening about an inch.

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
SSR#10820 said:
While looking at several different SSR's I noticed that the SSR's with the Cargo Compartment Trim package did not open all the way, while the SSR's with the standard bed liner did. My guess is that the weight of the extra trim on the underside of the Cover way contribute to the Covers not opening all the way. I did use silicone spray on mine, but it only helped for a short time. Now it's back to only opening about an inch.

Bingo!!!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds Good

SSR#10820 said:
Thanks all! That clears alot up.

·
Registered
131 Posts
same problem hear but, the dealer had a lame excuse that the factory used to much clear coat on the hinges (LOL). Every SSR I have seen with the liner will not open on level terain. The weight of the liner is the cause and the struts that are to weak is the problem. i am hashing this and many other problems out with GM. They insist that this is the normal operation and if some open all the way up, it must be a defect. Have you ever heard such crap in your life.

·
Premium Member
9,223 Posts
They're actually right - The lid without any padding goes up all the way quite easily. The weight of the padding keeps it down.

The only solution GM would have would be to have two different shock designs - one for the stock lid, and a different, higher pressure design for the padded lid.

The trade-of, is that it would require significantly more effort to lower the lid, if you have a higher pressure strut. I like it just the way it is. I lowered the lid on a new base SSR in the dealership. It's definitely more of an effort to close the lid.

I can't think of a single car or truck with a remote trunk opener that has the trunk pop all the way up - all the ones I've seen, or experienced, release and stay in the open position, waiting for the nearest human to do the rest..

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
speaking of trunks

I recently had a GM field rep come to my dealership and fix the leak in the cargo area :) . The good news is it doesn't leak any more.......the bad news (and you knew there was going to be some), I went to lower the top to show some people at a party how sweet it is and the "cargo lid is open" error came up. So in fixing the leak, the rep has somehow messed up the sensor that detects whether or not the lid is down..... :mad back to the dealer :mad And I guess the worst thing is, I had a crowd of people around the trunk and I looked stupid because I couldn't make my own convertible work.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Flassh said:
They're actually right - The lid without any padding goes up all the way quite easily. The weight of the padding keeps it down.

The only solution GM would have would be to have two different shock designs - one for the stock lid, and a different, higher pressure design for the padded lid.

The trade-of, is that it would require significantly more effort to lower the lid, if you have a higher pressure strut. I like it just the way it is. I lowered the lid on a new base SSR in the dealership. It's definitely more of an effort to close the lid.

I can't think of a single car or truck with a remote trunk opener that has the trunk pop all the way up - all the ones I've seen, or experienced, release and stay in the open position, waiting for the nearest human to do the rest..
Every automobile I have owned (Caddilac, Lincoln,and chevy all opened enough to get your hand under them to assist. With the SSR trunk, it opens enough to get the tip of your finger under it and sometimes not even that high.

I am convinced that some of these replies are coming from GM techs to down play the massive mistakes they made by not proving this vehicle before production. sure didn't see a program like the C6 produced for television on the SSR.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
It figures, now that I am in my early fifties I have trouble getting it up, the top that is.... :jester :jester

1 - 12 of 12 Posts