Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 Pacific Blue 6 speed Custom
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the tune and the throttle body swap done at the Daytona Rally on Monday night but the wet roads kept him from really getting on it for the tune. During the "track time" on the Speedway, the track was wet and I couldn't really notice much difference until I goosed her a bit too hard with the different throttle response and I spun her around on that hair pin turn! Yes, I was one of those 3 or 4 that were a bit over zealous on what I've read was an oily spot on the track from a race that weekend! Lol! But, back to the tune!!!

However, it was sunshine and dry roads back to Ohio the next day! I didn't notice any fuel milage improvements but it might have had something to do with this Pac Blue Rocket Ship I was driving! Holy Cow! The throttle delay was completely gone and with every gear change it just "launched" like never before!!! Needless to say, I wasn't too concerned about the gas milage and "launched" with every opportunity I had and with a 1,100 mile trip, there was A LOT of them!
:blue::grin2: Permagrin to the Max!!! :grin2::blue:
Thanks Jeremy, the guys who switched the throttle bodies and @dingbat for making this happen!

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,019 Posts
What I like about those fairly inexpensive upgrades it makes a world of difference without tearing into the motor and spending gobs of money. I did the K&N cold air package also and split the Y pipe with true duel exhaust system and that really perked it up also. It is not much louder unless you hit the loud pedal and the mileage is about the same like you said. Win, Win!!! I knew you were going to like it.

Reactions: Flying Dog

·
Premium Member
2,789 Posts
I put on a ported original. I think 90, but I guess I don't know for sure.

After a tune at the international for that (I had it tuned a couple times before) it feels more responsive on the throttle. I guess to be particular, quicker.

I have not noticed any change in the mileage either way.

Dave

·
Premium Member
2006 Pacific Blue 6 speed Custom
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what size throttle body did you use?
From what I understand, he used an original factory throttle body but the dam was ground down to allow more air flow and it was polished. I assume that also improves the air flow as well.

·
Premium Member
2,789 Posts
That is what was done with mine.

Look, I am not expert in this, but he said that the tune would almost be a necessity on these as they no longer have the lip.

I also did not do anything with my MAFS screen at his suggestion.

Dave

·
Premium Member
2003 Chevy SSR
1,428 Posts
The mech who rebuilt my 5.3 with competition parts recommended leaving the MAF screen in for better directional airflow.

That is what was done with mine.

Look, I am not expert in this, but he said that the tune would almost be a necessity on these as they no longer have the lip.

I also did not do anything with my MAFS screen at his suggestion.

Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts