Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am looking at tuners for a 2006 Chevy SSR. Are their any good ones out their. I was looking at the diablo tuner. I want something that adds a little more horse power and gas mailage. If I would have to choose I will take the increase in hp. Which diablo tuner or any other tuner is best for the 2006 Chevy SSR. I seen some diablo tuners that increased hp by 50-120hp but that was for other vehicles. Thanks for any input.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,073 Posts
We have a couple great tuners.... One in Florida and the second in Southern California. Both of these guys will give you a significantly better custom tune that any boxed product.

Where are you located? I am connected to Joe Delano in Southern California and can get your truck tuned by him with a scheduled visit here in Phoenix.

Regards,

Mike

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
sean03, I use a superchips flashpaq in my '04. Overall, I am pleased with what it does. More power and torque, shift point and pressure adjustments, fan setting adjustments, speedo adjustments for my gear change and it can be returned to stock in 2 minutes.

That said, the reason I have it is because I'm not in close proximity to someone or a shop that knows how to really tune an SSR. All of the shops here will say, "sure, we can tune your truck. What exactly is it again". That's not what you want to hear from a "pro tuner".

When and/or if I am in a location with someone who knows what they are really doing, I will remove the superchips and have it re-tuned by a real pro and get the extra oomph.

In the mean time the superchips is a good "plan-B" that I can do myself.

Hope that helps. wizzr.

·
2,422 Posts
Jeremy in lutz also goes to Gettysburg pa a couple of times a year.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,400 Posts
Hi I am looking at tuners for a 2006 Chevy SSR. Are their any good ones out their. I was looking at the diablo tuner. I want something that adds a little more horse power and gas mailage. If I would have to choose I will take the increase in hp. Which diablo tuner or any other tuner is best for the 2006 Chevy SSR. I seen some diablo tuners that increased hp by 50-120hp but that was for other vehicles. Thanks for any input.
While you are considering the answers above, you might want to update your profile. You have been around this site for 5 or 6 years and have enough posts that I am sure you have heard this drill before, but if you go to User CP in the upper right corner of the page and then click on Edit Your Details under the Your Profile heading in the Left column You can let those around you know they are nearby and can help out. That is what we do.

·
SSR Enthusiast
1,491 Posts
Based on your post, it appears that you are looking for a Diablo vs someone to perform a pro tune.
Hopefully some here will step in and input about the Diablo and their results.
However, IMO the numbers you mentioned are considerably high.
If you were to gain 30HP, I'd say that was amazing; I would expect something in the 20hp range.
There are added features that make the tuner interesting even without a large HP jump.

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,068 Posts

Here is my two cents in order.
1. Best possible tune is the Super Dyno Tune where they tune it and run it on the Dyno. About $500.00 dollars.
2. Next is the Lap Top tune. Several places to get that done. About $200 or $300.
3. Tune it yourself with a hand held device. About $300.00.

If you plan to change exhaust, Cold Air Intake like K&N set up, Port and Polish Throttle Body or any modifications, do that all first and do the tune last. Attempting to get high horsepower is not really possible going this route but you will get in the neighborhood of 60 plus horse power by doing all the things I just mentioned. Some of the main things you will notice is no lag time when stepping on the gas and much better drive ability, performance, smoothness, and possibly better mileage. My Son uses and swears by Hypertech Max Energy Programmers. You can get one at several sources like AUTO ANYTHING. I had my SSR done on the super Dyno Tune so I don't really know about the hand helds. All I know is my son swears by the Hypertech hand held. It lets you change all your settings one by one, stores your original tune and lets you go back to original or make changes anytime. Like I said he swears by it and it is about half the price of a Diablo or Bully Dog. Just some info for you. Good luck and hope it all works out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts