Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok
What tuner does anyone recommend to help me turn the main fan on at a lower temperature ! I’ve been looking at flashpaq 5,Diablo,& Tech 2
Thanks Chris

·
BAD BOW TIE
10,357 Posts
A big hearty welcome from Sturgis South Dakota. I see by your AVATAR you are from England so I don't know if you have hot rod Dyno shops there or not. The hand held tuners you speak of are in the $400 to $500 range over here and for that money you can get the whole thing professionally tuned including picking up about 40 or 50 horsepower, adjust the fans, better gas mileage, take the throttle lag out, adjust the trans shifting and remove the top end limiter, etc. I personally have never used the hand held tuners but my son buys, uses, and swears by the Hypertech Max Energy type. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Chris,
You already have two thumbs up for the Superchips flashpaq. Others here on the forum have used the Diablo tuner and have nothing but good things to say about them. I'm not familiar with the tech 2.
The Superchips and Diablo tuners can be bought new for $350 or less all day long on ebay and other sources. Used ones do come up for sale on ebay and on this forum and they usually sell for around $200. Both will do what you want.
Power improvements for the 6.0 liter powered trucks is in the 30 - 40 hp gains. 5.3 liter powered trucks will see about a 20 hp improvement. But more importantly is the torque improvements and transmission adjustments that are available.
Hope that helps. Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I have a Diablo Sport for my 05. I bought it off Ebay from the manufacturer direct there as a factory rebuilt unit. I paid around $200 for it. It came with a warranty and I have not had any issues with it. One nice thing about it is you can get licenses to do more than one vehicle with it. I currently have 3 different tuners for three different vehicles. One for my Duramax, one for my 04 Super Chips and one for my 05 Diablo Sport.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
I'm curious if Superchips is good for fuel economy.
Some of their tuners have an economy program. I never used it when I had one. I always figured the SSR was never made for fuel economy. About the only way to squeeze more MPG out of one is to drive it like your grandma would. And what fun is that???

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
From my experience with hand held tuners on several different vehicles from my SSR, to Diesels to other newer stuff. When you first put a tune in you will not see any improvement with mileage because you are using that new found performance. Read between the lines as you have your foot in it more often to feel the pick up. After the second or third tank of gas you very well could see an improvement. Better fuel management, better shifts and cooler running can all improve fuel usage. It all depends on how you drive it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts