Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
yes, I have been working with a company called Hahn Racecraft (turbosystem.com),
5.3 kit is in developement right now, should have dyno #'s soon
there kits usually "boost" hp about 60% ...............I have a 2003
cavalier with a stage 2 kit and no other mods except an exhaust,
and it has run 12.97 sec. @ 104 in the quarter

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
rick418cars said:
yes, I have been working with a company called Hahn Racecraft (turbosystem.com),
60%??? so 300hp becomes 480hp?

·
Registered
271 Posts
I'm going to be talking to STS to see if their rear mounted turbo can be used on the SSR. I'll be installing one of these on my '04 GTO. That and some bolt-ons should get me to close to 500 rear wheel horsepower. The truck guys have also been seeing some very impressive gains.

ORDER LINE - 1-877-4-TBYRNE (1-508-636-0770 in MA)
E-MAIL - [email protected]

NEW WEEKLY SPECIALS CAN BE SEEN ON - OUR WEBSITE

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
rick418cars said:
Hey Rick
do you have anymore info on the turbo setup from Hahn?

Ric

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I hope Hahn does better with the Automobile kit then they did with the bike kits..They suck!

Good Luck guys!

·
Registered
590 Posts
Boosted said:
I hope Hahn does better with the Automobile kit then they did with the bike kits..They suck!

Good Luck guys!
??????? Thought they were supposed to blow! :lol
Maybe you got it on backwards

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,343 Posts
Hope it has an intercooler....

Without an air-to-air heat exchanger between the turbo and the engine inlet, your air temps into the cylinders will be extreme. This has killed more pistons from detonation and just the adverse operating temps than anyone wants to admit. Properly turbocharged engines usually involve a change in piston shape and a lot of safeguards to reduce the destructive effects of 200 to 300 degree air going into the engine inlet.

Cautious.....

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i helped my friend put in a hahn turbo in his 90's model eclipse and it worked great. had the FMIC and everything but i think he bought that elsewhere...cant remember

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
41chevcoe said:
??????? Thought they were supposed to blow! :lol
Maybe you got it on backwards
You need to call Hahn..That is the problem with the motorcycle setup, they have it all backwards!..
:lol

I went with a Ghetto Stage 2 for my bike and love it.. 320RWHP and 202tq in a street riddin motorcycle is a blast!

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,101 Posts
I discuss turos in my book, and cannot recommend them for the SSR.

They work great in many vehicles, but for the SSR they are a bad choice for three reasons:

1. They add large amounts of underhood heat to an underhood area that is already way too hot (this is why the tow rating on the SSR is so low)

2. The extra heat fruther degrades the ACTUAL performance under street (versus open hood on a dyno) conditions

3. They work better at higher rpm than at lower rpm, and with the heavy weight of the SSR, this is a big disadvantage over a Magnacharger. The Magnacharger provides impressive benefits even really low down in the rpm range (see the dyno graphs in my book)

In addition, the STS rear-mounted turbo, which eliminates the heat added under the hood problem, adds a couple different problems:

1. STS does NOT have a kit specific to the SSR, so you have to have your installer cobble something together, and that's expensive (try it)

2. The air intake is mounted near the rear axle, where it is subject to all sorts of crap and water thrown up by the front wheels. In fact, STS itself recommends a "sock" over the air filter under some circumstances! Can't be good for performance!

I talked with an SSR at Homecoming who had the STS kit installed (I took photos). He was not happy, as his installer could not get it running right. The installer had actually added a Methane injection system to try to cool things down.

The Magnacharger positive displacement blower kit is well engineered specifically for the SSR and the way to go.

Jim G

1 - 12 of 12 Posts