Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys I have seen advertiser-driven BS in the past in magazines, but the November 2005 issue of Super Chevy takes the cake. It has two MAJOR "untruths" in one issue.

On page 58, it touts how great the "Gear Vendors" auxiliary "gear-splitter" transmission and how you can "expect 25 percent thereabouts (improved economy) cruising with a normal aspirated engine, thanks to 22 percent lower rpm".

This is just plain rubbish to anyone who has actually DONE any gas mileage testing as I have. In fact, I showed that the difference in fuel mileage on an SSR, with the exact same 22% difference in gearing, is only 7.4%.

The second article, starting on page 105, touts the drag racing power performance of a custom SSR built by some jerk who claims to be a "two-time motorsports champion" and to have "knowledge for making movement happen on the track" and "talent for designing an entire package vehickle - one with good looks, functionality, and, not to be redundant, speed".

Clearly, this yoyo editoprial staff never actually saw this vehicle actually race, because on page 106 it shows this guy's idea of a hi performance intake system: an OPEN cylindrical K&N type filter hanging right over top of and BEHIND the radiator and actually resting on the radiator hose!! On an SSR, that puppy is drawing 210 degree air right from under the hood, and not even in mixing in ANY colder air from the grill at all.

I did n't know whether to laugh or get mad. Both articles were so blatantly uninformed I'm thinking thi mag is now off my "buy" list.

Just goes to show you: not everyone writing for the mags has actual knowledge or experience.

Jim G

·
Registered
347 Posts
Jim,
I have read every word you have written on this forum at least twice and I have never seen you beat around the bush like this before!!!! You always tell it like it is, how do you really feel about these articles?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Jim, when I read the article on the SSR in Super Chevy, I blew it off as someone that doesn't have a clue! You get better info from this forum. I did not read the article on the Gear Vendors Overdrive as I have had some of friends purchase it and they were not happy with it. Just my $.02.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts